Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

You could say that speculating about any player is a waste of time and that reading about said speculating is a waste of time. You could also say that speculating on something that you have no control over is in itself tedious, especially when the thing your speculating on as no real consequence on your life at all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's why these threads are so tedious every window. 

Bring Barry back!

Bring Milner back!

Bring Young back!

Bring Benteke back!

Bring Delph back!

People on here desperately need to learn how to let go of the past and face reality, but instead we'll clog up 20 or 30 pages of thread with 'speculation' that even the simplest application of common sense would reveal was a waste of time. 

You've named 5 players but realistically the only one we'd have a hope of getting is Barry. Who I think would come here as he still has strong links in the area and at 35 getting a 2/3 year deal turning into a coaching role would probably suit him. Benteke is mentioned as it looks like he's off and we can all dream but it's a non starter. As far as I've seen the others haven't been mentioned this time as most realise we are a Championship club and haven't a cat in hells chance of getting them. Saying that though Downing dropped down last year to help Boro get up! 

Do people think that once the takeover is signed off by the BPL/FL the signings will just start rolling in?

I haven't been this excited for a transfer window in bloody ages! I'd love for us to sign at least a couple I've people I've heard of this year and you'd hope that with Dr. X's apparent wealth, this could be a reality. I've had enough Lowtons, Bowerys, Westwoods and Bacunas to last a bloody lifetime :lol:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Post relegation amnesia appears to be setting in. Under no circumstance should we be keeping Brad Guzan.

My position has remained the same more or less since Sherwood was here. Guzan is a good goalkeeper with serious confidence issues. Sherwood, Wilkins, MacDonald and Black were extremely poor choices to oversee the management of the club and anybody would expect the majority of players to regress with those guys in charge.

15 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

But why risk this? Trying to build his confidence back up, when we could go out and buy a ready made, confident keeper that can play a part for us in our new team. Like all sports, success begins in the mind. If Guzan has got issues with his confidence, it's not worth the risk imo.

Also, the (new) defence needs to feel confident in his ability. At corners, free kicks etc.. Can you really be sure Guzan's going to dominate his area. 

Because at his best he is better than who we are likely to replace him with. With a good manager in charge it's more than likely he would return to his best again.

Unless we can swap him for Pantilimon or Elliot I hope he stays.

25 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The press are just going to start making links to former/current West Brom players now aren't they?

Pretty much. Every player in the Midlands area who could do a job in the Championship is going to be linked with us over the next couple of months.

3 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Pretty much. Every player in the Midlands area who could do a job in the Championship is going to be linked with us over the next couple of months.

It'll be Tom Bradshaw linked within a couple of days. 

I think we need to be realistic with our expectations of this summers signings, the likes of Benteke and other PL players are pipe dreams. Regardless of how much money Dr Xia is willing to throw our way for transfers, most decent players will not want to play in the Championship, and we will be considered a risky project by many at first due to the lack of information surrounding Dr Xia, so it will be an impossible mission luring them here. For me Dr Xia won't be able to show what he is fully about financially until we are back in the PL, only then should we perhaps look at some higher profile signings. This summer is all about getting players in who will help us battle our way back to the PL and stop the rot.

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

would be surprised if we're fishing in the big boys pond

I think that will come next season if we get promoted to the big boys pond.

For now are aim is to catch some medium sized fish to replace those inept fish who dragged us down to the bottom of the pool last season. That should see us end this season as one of the two big fish who will automatically be transferred back into the larger pool. 

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Linked with Boaz Myhill in the express and star.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Linked with Boaz Myhill in the express and star.

Wouldnt be a bad shout though. Used to be a villan. Handled the Premier League well when he was filling in for a while at WBA. Did he play under Di Matteo? 

I think its important DI Matteo brings in his Petrov signing. Someone who he knows and can help with the dressing room as well. If this Dorrans.. i am all for it. 

we really need some characters in the squad.. and no not like Gabby Richards.. proper serious professionals. 

34 minutes ago, John said:

I think that will come next season if we get promoted to the big boys pond.

For now are aim is to catch some medium sized fish to replace those inept fish who dragged us down to the bottom of the pool last season. That should see us end this season as one of the two big fish who will automatically be transferred back into the larger pool. 

I think our ability to fish in a bigger pond will depend on a few things but hopefully we will have a better chance in the January window if our progress is good players may take the chance on a 4 or 5 month sabbatical

• Like 1

I would not be surprised if we fished in the big boys' pond actually, and the likes of Dwight Gayle is precisely the kind of signing I think it would be fantastic to make.  Hell I wanted him last season in the Premier League.  To get him now would be absolutely superb.  There is plenty of gettable talent in that league if we bother to try.  I'd quite like to be grossly over-matched against all of our opposition next season and as a happy secondary consequence it lessens the re-build if and when we go up :)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I would not be surprised if we fished in the big boys' pond actually, and the likes of Dwight Gayle is precisely the kind of signing I think it would be fantastic to make.  Hell I wanted him last season in the Premier League.  To get him now would be absolutely superb.  There is plenty of gettable talent in that league if we bother to try.  I'd quite like to be grossly over-matched against all of our opposition next season and as a happy secondary consequence it lessens the re-build if and when we go up :)

It'd be a nice change being disappointed with a draw away to a side 5th place in the league, rather than being quite pleased losing only 1-0 to 19th.

• Like 1

When you already have squads like Newcastle who may possibly retain their good players with Benitez staying there alongside the championship looking like it's one the strongest in years i think we will need to keep some of our better players such as Ayew Amavi and fish in the big boys pond to stand a chance of being promoted next season

I think we need two top draw strikers at that level and i hope we don't make the mistake of having to rely on Gabby and Gestede again....