Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

The feeling seems to be that Gestede and a few others are just bad players. I really don't see that we can judge any of our players based on last season. I'm hoping that RDM can show us what some of these players are truly capable of. I'm thinking that they were badly managed rather than lacking ability.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, brendanvillatalk said:

The feeling seems to be that Gestede and a few others are just bad players. I really don't see that we can judge any of our players based on last season. I'm hoping that RDM can show us what some of these players are truly capable of. I'm thinking that they were badly managed rather than lacking ability.

If we stayed up, I think you'd get a definitive idea of who's got it or not. In the Championship Gabbie & Gestede might look like a world beaters. Of course the Championship is of a far better standard than 10 years ago when PL sides would expect to brush them aside in the FA Cup or whatever, I still think some of the deadwood that we can't shift & can manage to get their game might stick around like a bad smell.

Hopefully RDM and the backroom team have the stones to get fellas where they belong, in the dole que.

Barry would be ace- never had any pace to lose, so no issues there. I think he might just fancy this. Good shout.

Agreed... And would well and truly cement his place as a club legend (if he wasn't already)

22 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

If we stayed up, I think you'd get a definitive idea of who's got it or not. In the Championship Gabbie & Gestede might look like a world beaters. Of course the Championship is of a far better standard than 10 years ago when PL sides would expect to brush them aside in the FA Cup or whatever, I still think some of the deadwood that we can't shift & can manage to get their game might stick around like a bad smell.

Hopefully RDM and the backroom team have the stones to get fellas where they belong, in the dole que.

I think we got a better idea by being relegated on less than half the points of our nearest rival.  I don't care whether Rudy and Gabby can do a job in the championship - they couldn't in the premier league which is where we need to be asap so they need replacing with players with a higher ceiling. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mwj said:

Agreed... And would well and truly cement his place as a club legend (if he wasn't already)

He isn't?

He could be, but he's not a legend right now. Not for me. Legends don't engineer moves away through the press.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He isn't?

He could be, but he's not a legend right now. Not for me. Legends don't engineer moves away through the press.

Liverpool fans were very quick to forget about the annual summer Chelsea saga with Stevie Starfish.

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He isn't?

He may not be a legend Doug- but he is quite rightly held in high esteem, I've never thought of him as anything other than a reasonable type of guy- not a typical modern day pro footballer although clearly I don't know him- as a player I would take him back in a heartbeat 

He isn't?

10 years is enough service for me. I don't begrudge him for wanting to win some trophies, he's not a martyr

The press stuff I imagine was his agent.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He isn't?

Therefore legends cannot exist in the modern age. 

• Like 1

I'd take Barry back but calling him a legend is just wrong.

Have people forgotten about him saying he'd only leave for a club in the Champions League and then left for Man City who weren't? You could argue that they were on a road to the CL but weren't we at one point? Even more so if our best players stayed and Barry, being one of them, buggered off as soon as Citeh flashed the cash.

Add to this the fact that in the seasons after his move he got absolutely slammed by the whole of Villa Park on his returns with people throwing fake money at him when he was taking corners. Do you really think he'd come back after that? 

:blink:

It's about more than "just" spending your entire career at a club. 

It's also about what you achieve, the stature of the club before, during and after your time there and much more. In some cases even the transfer fee the club receives when you leave.

There won't be many more Totti's in the modern game, but there will be new club legends.

Just look at Ibrahimovic at PSG. He was only there for 4 seasons, but I'm sure he'll be forever considered a club legend by a wast amount of their fans after helping them win the league 4 times and scoring 113 goals in 122 league games. Breaking pretty much ever club record.

As for Barry, legend is probably a too strong a word for me, but he's not that far off.

Paul McGrath on the other hand is a proper legend for me (and I guess many others) and he was "only" here for 7? seasons compared to Barry's 11? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Dwight Gayle over Bamford for me.

Really like the idea of Gayle - seems a no nonsense type of player, which is what we need.

"No nonsense" in what way?

7 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I'd take Barry back but calling him a legend is just wrong.

Have people forgotten about him saying he'd only leave for a club in the Champions League and then left for Man City who weren't? You could argue that they were on a road to the CL but weren't we at one point? Even more so if our best players stayed and Barry, being one of them, buggered off as soon as Citeh flashed the cash.

Add to this the fact that in the seasons after his move he got absolutely slammed by the whole of Villa Park on his returns with people throwing fake money at him when he was taking corners. Do you really think he'd come back after that? 

:blink:

I'm sure this has been discussed on this site thousands of times since but IMO 10 years is enough loyal service for me... I didn't (and don't) expect him to martyr his career over this club. And TBH he's been proven right since hasn't he so...

• Like 2

I would say that there's hardly any chance at all that we'll be signing Gareth Barry. By most accounts I've read he was one of Everton's best players last year, if he does leave I think he'll go to another Premier team or maybe abroad for one last bumper pay.