Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

30 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

There were no more question marks over Guzan than any other player in the squad.

He was lacking confidence. Sherwood dropped him when he should have backed him and it's ruined him.

Confidence can be built back up. I haven't watched Villa since Eric Black took over but he looked in reasonable condition physically mid season. I don't see why he can't turn it around.

But why risk this? Trying to build his confidence back up, when we could go out and buy a ready made, confident keeper that can play a part for us in our new team. Like all sports, success begins in the mind. If Guzan has got issues with his confidence, it's not worth the risk imo.

Also, the (new) defence needs to feel confident in his ability. At corners, free kicks etc.. Can you really be sure Guzan's going to dominate his area. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, useless said:

Di Matteo will decide whether Guzan needs replacing or not.

No doubt but does that mean everyone will start with a clean slate (no matter how tarnished their slate became last season)? If so, how soon will the decisions be made (will this roll on until they report for pre-season) and how many potential replacements will we have missed whilst making these decisions? For me I cannot see any future at the club for the likes of Brad and Gabby to name but two.  

I also question whether we are actually in a position to make any new signings before the takeover has been ratified by the PL/FL?  

There was a time I liked Guzan but that was a long time ago now and for sure he needs to be moved on. Given the chance I'd replace 10 of our starting 11 but whether we can do that will be down to Big Tone and the temporary insanity that pressure creates in other managers.

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

I don't recall anybody calling for him to be sold as a priority before Sherwood was appointed.

Sherwood dropped him for the same reason he never played Gil or Kozak. Because he never fancied him as a player.

There was plenty and even more so as last season went on. Last summer we tried to get Begovik in Jan we tried for Kalinic successive managers have seen his failings. Last season he cost us a lot of points amongst others the Leicester away game which for a lot of fans defined both our seasons! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, useless said:

It doesn't mean that everyone will start with clean slates. Just that no matter what we say on here, Di Matteo and his coaches will have their own ideas.

And I can't wait to hear them, I think the day we make our first signing VT will go into meltdown!

Would love our first signing to be our new captain for next season.  Could this be Dorrans or Elphink then?  I would love it to be Barry but would be happy if it's either of those two.   What about club captain - Petrov?  Would do a far better job than Gabby for sure. 

I don't get the fasenation with Dorrans, he had a good season many seasons ago but since has been pretty anonymous. Even as a championship team I'd be pretty underwhelmed if he were to sign.

• Like 1

I don't get the fasenation with Dorrans, he had a good season many seasons ago but since has been pretty anonymous. Even as a championship team I'd be pretty underwhelmed if he were to sign.

If he can get 10+ goals then he'll be worth it.  When was the last time one of our midfielders did this?

• Like 1

The last time Dorrans scored 10 goals was in 2010. If we going to add to central midfield I'd rather it be someone in the vane of Barry/Parker, maybe a younger version if possible.

I agree really, we were linked with him a few years back. Maybe the summer after West Brom got promoted back to the premier league. I think it was for a decent amount of money too. He had a really good season with them but I wasn't really sure about him then and his career since then, hasn't been too different to our decline as a club.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, useless said:

It doesn't mean that everyone will start with clean slates. Just that no matter what we say on here, Di Matteo and his coaches will have their own ideas.

Just checking you do realise it's a speculation thread? Goal keeper for most is one of the position we need filling as after watching Guzan for the last 2 seasons he's got a lot worse. RDM will have his own ideas and I'm sure after reading about the new goal keeping coach he'll have his and I reckon it'll match that of majority on here. RDM took over a relegated side in WBA so hopefully he'll know sometimes it's better to get rid of a few if they've been tarnished by the previous season and not give the a chance. 

My statement that ' no matter what we say on here, Di Matteo and his coaches will have their own ideas ', wasn't in reply to people suggesting we need to get rid of Guzan rather it was in reply to everyone talking about Guzan's future whether they want him to stay or not. Di Matteo either wants him to stay or he doesn't, we don't have any influence on the matter, all we can do is say what we would do if we were in his position.

• Like 1