Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And now bow and arrow violence in Norway. Another Anders Breivik? What's the word on the street, @El Zen

Police look like they could have done better with this

A man arrested over a deadly bow and arrow attack in Norway had converted to Islam and there were fears he had been radicalised, police have said.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen is accused of killing four women and a man on Wednesday night in the southern town of Kongsberg.

Regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud said officers had last been in touch with the man in 2020.

He was arrested and questioned for several hours overnight.

The victims were all aged between 50 and 70, Chief Saeverud told reporters on Thursday morning.

Police had initially confronted the attacker six minutes after the attack began at 18:12 (16:12 GMT) on Wednesday but he then escaped and the suspect was not caught until 18:47, 35 minutes after the attack began.

The police chief said all five victims were most likely killed after he was first confronted.

BBC

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And now bow and arrow violence in Norway. Another Anders Breivik? What's the word on the street, @El Zen

Just awful. I don’t know much more than what’s already in the article provided by Genie. 

Seems to be a very disturbed individual. I’m just glad the f***er didn’t have access to an AR15. 

• Thanks 1

On 13/10/2021 at 05:24, PussEKatt said:

Perth is a good place to find good neighbours,and,its against the law to carry a gun.

Western Australia has some of the most stringent fireams laws I've come across. I had to get a letter from the cheif of police to send a rifle stock (a piece of plastic) to a relative who wants to try building me a wooden one since they don't have a firearms license.

Also, spent brass casings are classed as live ammunition for legal storage and transport purposes.

It's pretty much the opposite of the US. Can't remember the last time they had a mass shooting either.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

It's pretty much the opposite of the US. Can't remember the last time they had a mass shooting either.

I doubt there's any correlation. And besides, if there was a mass shooting, how would you defend yourself?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I doubt there's any correlation. And besides, if there was a mass shooting, how would you defend yourse

Add the fact that the ownership rate for registered firearms is approximately 1 per 10 people in WA (which is obviously lower than the States but there are still a decent number of private firearms owners) and it gets pretty hard to argue that gun control legislation doesn't work.

That's not to say I agree with all the details of their (or Canadian) firearms legislation, but the general principle of making ownership very hard for people who don't need firearms is clearly a pretty effective strategy.

• Like 1

Â