Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

17 hours ago, Spoony said:

This simplifies things too much in my opinion. The NRF has so much power and lobbying ability that it distorts any kind of democratic debate over gun control. Take away their propaganda and money machine and I’d be interested to see where a modern American stands on the issue.

I would love it if you are right, but 'the other side have too much lobbying money' is often a sign that the other side have the support of large sections of the public, especially in the case of the NRA who seem to have gotten a lot of small-donor funding over the years.

Look, I wish it wasn't true, but their gun culture has deep deep roots, and it comes from the more from the bottom up than from the top down.

• Like 1

There's so much I want to say about US gun politics. But what's the point. They'll never change. Let them all shoot each other. 

According to NY Times they had over 600 hundred mass shootings during 2020 alone. Let that sink in.  

IIRC the article said a mass shooting was defined as at least 4 casualties. 

So far in 2021 they've had 147. 

**** mental bullshit country. They just do not get it. But whatever, at least they got their freedom. 

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There's so much I want to say about US gun politics. But what's the point. They'll never change. Let them all shoot each other. 

According to NY Times they had over 600 hundred mass shootings during 2020 alone. Let that sink in.  

IIRC the article said a mass shooting was defined as at least 4 casualties. 

So far in 2021 they've had 147. 

**** mental bullshit country. They just do not get it. But whatever, at least they got their freedom. 

During the covid era of lockdowns no less. It's absolutely mental.

13 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Body cam footage has been released of an unarmed 13 year old boy being shot and killed in Chicago a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it looks like the police officer’s instincts were reinforced by the instructions on the kid’s top.

2 sides to every story... 

A cop shoots an unarmed 13 kid

The kid was fleeing from the scene with his 21 year old mate after reports of shots fired, at 2.30am, with a gun found near where he was killed, he was a gangster 

Neither of those stories are from normal civilised Western societies 

22 hours ago, villakram said:

Indy shooter named as a 19yr old. Once again, an individual known to law enforcement goes on the rampage. 

The problem is until they do something you can’t charge them with a thought crime or prediction crime.  They can talk about mental health all they like but until the individual does something they are innocent so the only way to reduce it significantly is to do something about the guns, which is never going to happen.  You wonder if any scenario will ever change that thought process, I’m guessing not.

On 17/04/2021 at 13:42, nick76 said:

The problem is until they do something you can’t charge them with a thought crime or prediction crime.  They can talk about mental health all they like but until the individual does something they are innocent so the only way to reduce it significantly is to do something about the guns, which is never going to happen.  You wonder if any scenario will ever change that thought process, I’m guessing not.

It gets better.

The police removed a shotgun from this individual in March 2020 as he was suicidal and advocating suicide by cop, per his Mother. No red flag or other investigations subsequently occurred and later that summer this kid legally purchased 2 rifles. Surely there should be a police or justice official who can be charged for negligent manslaughter or some such, mental!!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/18/indianapolis-shooting-gunman-bought-assault-rifles-shotgun-seized

"Brandon Hole, 19, who killed himself at the conclusion of the massacre, bought the two assault weapons in July and September 2020, according to Indianapolis metropolitan police chief Randal Taylor, after the shotgun was taken from him in March following a call from his mother concerned at his mental state."

Further everyday gun related occurrences that you never hear about.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/04/man-shoots-wife-after-she-picks-up-their-kids-from-outside-michigan-bar-at-1-am.html

"Police say the woman went to the bar around 1:15 a.m. Saturday after receiving a call from her oldest child that the kids were scared. The children -- ages 6 and 4 -- were allegedly left alone in a car outside the bar while their father was inside. When the mother arrived, she got in the car and began driving away with the children.

The husband allegedly began shooting at the car with two guns, striking his wife who suffered a grazing wound. However, she was able to drive away from the scene. The children were not injured in the shooting."

• Shocked 1

• 3 weeks later...

11 / 12 year old girl takes a gun to school and shoots 2 children and a staff member

BOISE, Idaho — A sixth-grade girl brought a gun to her Idaho middle school, shot and wounded two students and a custodian and then was disarmed by a teacher Thursday, authorities said.

The three victims were shot in their limbs and expected to survive, officials said at a news conference. Jefferson County Sheriff Steve Anderson says the girl pulled a handgun from her backpack and fired multiple rounds inside and outside Rigby Middle School in the small city of Rigby, about 95 miles (145 kilometers) southwest of Yellowstone National Park.

Link

Â