Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

7 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I just had a moment reading back at my last post realizing that there is 11% support for less strict gun regulation.  I'm not sure how this is possible without giving them away with happy meals.  I mean, they were already being given away as an incentive to have your covid jab.

The 11% probably think a person of colour should be regarded as legitimate target practice

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

I've not really been talking about an amendment to the constitution at this stage as I don't think it is remotely possible.  I'm really looking for the baby steps that can pave the way towards such an amendment.  I'm referencing more the popular support of the general population for some gun ownership regulation beyond what it is at the moment.  I don't think evidence exists for constitutional amendment support of 75% of states, the country is way too partizan for that right now.  I'm pretty sure a sane debate about gun regulation is impossible.  It's an interesting thought process though, and I imagine you are right about how the states voting numbers might break down. 

For reference, the stats that I was referring to are below.  The big problem with broad questions like this one is that stricter can include everything from banning guns completely to stopping shops from selling them on a Sunday. A consensus on what should be done next is harder to come by (see Brexit).

Gallup

Important here to note that what is popular has very little influence on what happens in America, a country with more veto points than any other democracy. The most important veto point here is that even if a completely blue state (California, Massachusetts, Hawaii, whatever) passed stricter gun control legislation, it would inevitably wind up being struck down by a Supreme Court with 6 conservative justices. 

There is nothing that can be done, it is completely futile. Just have to live with the small-but-significantly-higher-than-comparable-countries risk of being killed by gunfire, and try to move to areas where there are fewer nutters and/or criminals. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

is it?

to me they do seem to lay it on thick with the enemies of america, not sure who it was pre war but take the commies and now terrorists, they love the idea of people coming for their freedom because they hate this great american way of life, ironically they're almost imprisoned by it

and then lay it on even thicker with the idolisation of their military home and abroad fighting those enemies, which i also considered to be part of the problem, they are very vocal on identifying and celebrating those who fight them but very vague as to who those enemies actually are, how many shootings are completely misguided have a go heroes? they're taught that shit from a young age and we along with most of western or even modern countries arent

It really is, yes.

I agree with the second point, though.

On the last one, not so sure. I don't think it's a bad thing to recognise the sacrifices and service of individuals who have served in their military.  Which in my world is different to supporting whatever military (mis) adventures. Though I agree that the idea of have a go heroes bravely defending their patch of garden from marauding insurgents via possession of assault rifles is all a completely bonkers.

14 hours ago, Straggler said:

I just had a moment reading back at my last post realizing that there is 11% support for less strict gun regulation.  I'm not sure how this is possible without giving them away with happy meals.  I mean, they were already being given away as an incentive to have your covid jab.

The gun laws vary state to state. Presumably some people in the stricter states wish their laws could be more like the relaxed states?

7 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The gun laws vary state to state. Presumably some people in the stricter states wish their laws could be more like the relaxed states?

In what way ?

I thought that in some states you were allowed to shoot to kill but in other states you are only supposed to shoot to maime or cripple.I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

In what way ?

I thought that in some states you were allowed to shoot to kill but in other states you are only supposed to shoot to maime or cripple.I could be wrong.

You're correct.  Gun laws are incredibly complicated and very significantly from state to state.   Castle/"Stand your ground" laws are in some states and on the opposite end of the spectrum there are "excessive force" laws.  

40 minutes ago, KMitch said:

on the opposite end of the spectrum there are "excessive force" laws.  

They're the ones where you're allowed to kill people, as long as you don't enjoy it too much. 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

At least 8 dead according to reports. Apparently the shooter sent it live on Twitch and had also released some kind of white supremacist manifesto.

48 minutes ago, sne said:

At least 8 dead according to reports. Apparently the shooter sent it live on Twitch and had also released some kind of white supremacist manifesto.

At least 9 confirmed dead so far 😢

Just saw the video, not pretty, but not too gory, but just insane. People out doing their daily shopping, just shot a few times random. Who are these people, glad he got caught anyway rather than killed himself.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

They'd all have lived of they all took rifles shopping with them.

Reading the reports regarding this latest shooting, the shooter was already under supervision for threats to to do this and again what do they do in America 

A) stop him from buying guns

B )stop him from buying any weapons and talk to him

C ) Let him buy an array of semi automatic weapons and enough ammunition to wipe out a small town

It's insane and incredibly sad

• Like 2

Â