Joleon Lescott

dont_do_it_doug.

All I said was out of the knob squad he would be the most effective on the pitch for us. Ability/wages considered, I want Gabby and Richards out the door first.

You sure you watched him play last season?

1 minute ago, YGabbana said:

You sure you watched him play last season?

Lescott was useless for the majority of the season, but he did have a spell for about 3 games where he played well which is more than the rest of them. 

If I HAD to be pick someone to stay out off Richards, Gabby or Lescott I'd pick Lescott, but then again, that's kind of like pick how you'd like to die, drowning, been shot or torture (Gabby staying)

4 minutes ago, roadoftrinity said:

Lescott was useless for the majority of the season, but he did have a spell for about 3 games where he played well which is more than the rest of them. 

If I HAD to be pick someone to stay out off Richards, Gabby or Lescott I'd pick Lescott, but then again, that's kind of like pick how you'd like to die, drowning, been shot or torture (Gabby staying)

To be fair, I would differentiate between those methods even though the outcome is the same. ;)

• Like 1

On 26/05/2016 at 07:57, roadoftrinity said:

I'd keep Richards over those.

Lescott failed to organise our defence (he should've done) but also lacked the legs to push up or cover oncoming players.  Alongside being positionally woeful.

He's been the most disappointing player in our relegation season, for me.

Regardless of who was the worst, it's Lescott that's disappointed me the most this season. I never liked him before we signed him; there was a certain arrogance about him and his over exuberant celebrations when he scored against us,  considering he was supposedly a Villa fan, wound me up big time. And I never liked the way he lookd like a Lego character with his hair stuck on lopsided. I realise he can't help the last of those points. 

I thought when he signed that it was a chance to redeem himself. But no. Poor on the pitch and a total knob off it. He exemplifies all that is wrong with the modern day footballer.

• Like 1

The 'weight off shoulders' comment did for me. He should go as that says it all.

Funnily enough and this is not a sour grapes comment I never particularly rated him when we was at his best and he was certainly never worth the £24m Citeh paid Everton. Having said that at one time he was a decent PL defender but we can add him to the list of players we signed when they were well past their best. File along with Pires, Ginola, Cole, etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

The 'weight off shoulders' comment did for me. He should go as that says it all.

Funnily enough and this is not a sour grapes comment I never particularly rated him when we was at his best and he was certainly never worth the £24m Citeh paid Everton. Having said that at one time he was a decent PL defender but we can add him to the list of players we signed when they were well past their best. File along with Pires, Ginola, Cole, etc.

Cole, ohhhh my goodness, why ohh why...........

An why we are on the subject, another why ohh why was Grant Holt ever signed. 

We have had such poor recruitment staff.

I don't think Cole was that bad of a signing, in isolation. I think he was probably signed to add a little professionalism to the dressing room, and I note in passing that the worst player misdemeanours happened after he had left the club. He didn't add a lot on the playing side, but he was a cheap gamble. The problem was not that we signed Cole, but that we barely signed anyone else that window. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

His 'performances' did it for me. The extracurricular bullshit was just the icing on the cake.

when your most best performance of the season is being able to tweet photos from your pocket sort of says it all

This could easily be put in any Villa CB thread, but from what highlights I've seen and the comments I've read on diverse Villa boards on player's threads and match threads, the Lescott/Clark, Lescott/Okore and Clark/Okore CB pairings has had favorable comments. 

IMO, the ideal CB pair is two players knowing their own abilities and shortcomings (and those of their fellow CB as well), therefore knowing what each player should do in each situation: not needing to be led, nor having to lead - just dealing with the situation at hand as one. Obviously, that's not the case currently .

The next best alternative is an experienced/older CB able to instruct another younger/faster CB - one that's willing to be instructed, that is. I believe this is a rather common CB pairing.

But Villa CB pairings? Ignoring Lescott's off-pitch/in back-pocket etc. shenanigans (and Okore's purported refusal to sit on the bench/be involved in any games for the rest of the season - for any Eric Black aficionados out there), and the actual success/failure in individual games, just consider each pairing:

Lescott/Clark? One possibly unable to perform, but able to lead - and another physically able/willing to be led. 

Lescott/Okore? One possibly unable to perform, but able to lead - and another physically able/willing to be led. 

Clark/Okore? One able to lead, and another physically able/willing to be led. 

-----------------------

Lescott/Richards?  One possibly unable to perform, but able to lead - but the other unwilling/unable to be lead, just going meandering wherever his fancy takes him. And taking his own sweet time to return to where he should be.

Richards/anyone? You gotta be joking. If the 'senior player' is unable/unwilling to lead, it doesn't really matter who's partnering him, does it?

And Clark/Baker? Well, one is able to lead, and I don't question Baker's willingness...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â