Joleon Lescott

dont_do_it_doug.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Think we lost 9 from 11 under Sherwood but at least 6 of them was by a goal. We battered Sunderland and couldn't beat them. 

I think Vlaar was probably the biggest loss in hindsight as while not concrete he was at least professional 

Christ I’d forgotten about Vlaar, was gutted he chose to leave at the time. 

Ashley Westwood turned his back on every challenge. What an absolute travesty of a midfielder.

Only time I stopped watching the games was this season. We'd stayed up by the skin our teeth and then sold Benteke, Delph and Vlaar left. The whole spine.

We replaced them with Lescott (who was shot) Micah (who should have been taken around the back of Bodymoor and shot) Gueye (poor guy, Player of the Season) and freakin energy drink boy Gestede. All trained by Sherwood and his team who were printing "get fit" guides off the internet at the hotel in Portugal during pre-seaon.

I swear to God a consortium of monthly "most liked posts" off of VT could have managed the club better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Ashley Westwood turned his back on every challenge. What an absolute travesty of a midfielder.

Only time I stopped watching the games was this season. We'd stayed up by the skin our teeth and then sold Benteke, Delph and Vlaar left. The whole spine.

We replaced them with Lescott (who was shot) Micah (who should have been taken around the back of Bodymoor and shot) Gueye (poor guy, Player of the Season) and freakin energy drink boy Gestede. All trained by Sherwood and his team who were printing "get fit" guides off the internet at the hotel in Portugal during pre-seaon.

I swear to God a consortium of monthly "most liked posts" off of VT could have managed the club better.

Get fit guides lmao where did you see this

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Get fit guides lmao where did you see this

I think it was Mail article after the season - Essentially Sherwood didn't realize his team had to plan the fitness regimes - he thought someone else did. They were googling it that morning out in Portugal. Kendrick kept it under wraps at the time but it shows what an absolute cluster**** it was.

• Shocked 1

Sherwood should have been sacked at the end of that season after the Southampton and FA Cup final captitulations and not given the job of building a new squad with the Benteke and Delph money. It was always doomed to fail putting a novice manager in charge of such a big re-build job. Randy Lerner and Tom Fox were totally out of their depth with running a football club, ultimately their poor decision making on Managerial selections led to our downfall.

Onto Joleon. In my opinion Lescott and Richards were never great defenders during their careers but they used to pop up with a goal for Everton and Man City respectively to mask how shocking they were at the defensive part of their game. Pace and top quality team mates helped them out of many a bad situation in their younger days, but after one too many injuries and old father time slowing them down they were the worst defensive pair in my time of supporting Aston Villa. I thought things couldn't get much worse than 1986/7 season, but I was wrong!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Onto Joleon. In my opinion Lescott and Richards were never great defenders during their careers but they used to pop up with a goal for Everton and Man City respectively to mask how shocking they were at the defensive part of their game. Pace and top quality team mates helped them out of many a bad situation in their younger days, but after one too many injuries and old father time slowing them down they were the worst defensive pair in my time of supporting Aston Villa. I thought things couldn't get much worse than 1986/7 season, but I was wrong!

Yes the start is exactly true. Lescott was brilliant in Fantasy football bit was never a great defender. Season before he signed he was forced to left back at West Brom. Just like Delph he was definitely out of his depth in the City squad

As for Richards well the best I can say of his Villa days was that he tried. The false centre back Harry Maguire has modelled his game on

Funny people regularly bash Mings its almost like they have forgotten these 2

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes the start is exactly true. Lescott was brilliant in Fantasy football bit was never a great defender. Season before he signed he was forced to left back at West Brom. Just like Delph he was definitely out of his depth in the City squad

To be fair Lescott had been voted fans' player of the season at Albion the season he joined us. I don't think he was so bad he couldn't have been an adequate starting CB for a bottom half side; to my mind, the issue is more that he went from a professional culture at West Brom to a joke of one here, and when he arrived and saw that half assing it was fine actually, he probably didn't bother pushing himself much. And while we fans can be mad about that, the problem is you can see that perspective, I mean your career is on the wind down, this is one last pay day, and everyone around is taking the piss.

How many appearances at centre back had Richards ever made before he signed for us because we told him he could be one? We signed a 27 year old and let him have a crack in a new position. What a **** circus this club was.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

How many appearances at centre back had Richards ever made before he signed for us because we told him he could be one? We signed a 27 year old and let him have a crack in a new position. What a **** circus this club was.

About 30 games according to transfermarkt and a lot of them were in the minor cups.

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair Lescott had been voted fans' player of the season at Albion the season he joined us. I don't think he was so bad he couldn't have been an adequate starting CB for a bottom half side; to my mind, the issue is more that he went from a professional culture at West Brom to a joke of one here, and when he arrived and saw that half assing it was fine actually, he probably didn't bother pushing himself much. And while we fans can be mad about that, the problem is you can see that perspective, I mean your career is on the wind down, this is one last pay day, and everyone around is taking the piss.

Yeah, I can see that the leadership and culture of the club certainly fostered a "just turn up and go through the motions" attitude....

... but as a senior player and alleged Villa fan, Lescott had to do something to turn that around. Instead, he "pocket tweets" photos of his car on the day we go down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Yeah, I can see that the leadership and culture of the club certainly fostered a "just turn up and go through the motions" attitude....

... but as a senior player and alleged Villa fan, Lescott had to do something to turn that around. Instead, he "pocket tweets" photos of his car on the day we go down.

Completely agree, I realise looking back my post seems to be exculpatory in some way, but that isn't how it was meant. He was a complete failure as a signing and it reflects badly on him that he wasn't professional, it's just that I can see on a human level how it happened.

• Like 1

Â