Rudy Gestede

midian

We don't have the players to cross the ball, I think he was signed by Tim thinking that all our crosses would come from the full backs. Unfortunately they just aren't good enough to regularly be in crossing positions or relied on as our main attacking outlet while also defending. So if our full backs primarily defend, which they should do with the options we have, then you're not going to get a lot of crosses out of Sinclair or Ayew. Also, with Grealish and Gil they both cut inside and curl the ball in towards the goal, but Gestede is way more comfortable attacking an out-swinger as he can get the run on the defender. Adama is the only one who pulls it back towards to penalty spot but Garde seems pretty adamant (ha) that he isn't ready to play as part of a team yet.

He just isn't a good fit for the squad we have. Ayew is easily the best forward and player we have right now, but if he is to have a foil upfront I think it has to be Gabby for all of his sins.

Edited by a m ole

Even though he is shit i think we play better with him there.. He wins his fair share of headers.. may score off a corner.. so hes always a threat.

He gives Ayew space to run the channels.. Shame Sinclair didnt.. but may even help Gabby/Traore/Gil when they play. Id prefer Kozak but he seems out of favour.

If he plays we need more people running off him.

He had a lot of high balls and he did about as much as he could with them. Won flick ons. But we have absolutely nobody running off him so they just bounce to nobody. 

We need the wide players playing higher up and gambling on some of those high balls and trying to get on the end of them. That or have a midfielder like Veretout trying to bomb on when those balls are played.

• Like 2

I'm not sure there is a statistic to be found or whether I'm just fixating on his bad performances but yesterday was at least his second 'air shot' this season. Considering both his playing time, the number of shots he has and the fact he's supposed to be a striker, that just highlights how poor he is.

All strikers do it, I remember the classic one Dublin did that ended up running through for Taylor (I think) to score but they are one-offs, humourous accidents not a regular part of your game. Especially as a striker. I have zero faith in him scoring with his feet and yet we are such awful crossers of the ball that his chances of scoring from them are greatly reduced anyway.

Traore would offer more creativity up front, Sinclair would offer more speed, Gabby holds up the ball much better and Kozak would be more clinical with any chances that came his way. Gestede shouldn't be anywhere near the first team squad of a Premier League team and the fact he is shows why we are where we are as a squad - he's not even the worst player we have!

• Like 1

We don't cross the ball/we are unable to cross the ball when the situation arises. The best crosser of the ball is out for the season so Gestede can't start games. It is as simple as that. 

People are still making the same mistakes that all the commentators do with this guy.  Yes he's big, but he doesn't hold the ball up, he doesn't win a lot in the air (admittedly Saturday was his best showing yet in this regard) and he doesn't bully defenders.  He's not strong and he has absolutely no ability with the ball at his feet.

Cool hair though.

• Like 1

Â