Rudy Gestede

midian

I don't think I can ever remember a player giving the ball back to the opposition where they wanted it. It's always booted long or out. 

Gestede was under no obligation to give it straight to Hart. I'm sure if that had been the other way round a City player wouldn't have given the ball  straight to Guzan

Pretty simple really. He wasn't being unsporting at all. He tried to tell Hart he wanted to put it out for a G kick. Hart tried to be clever and cocked it up. End of. No need for a discussion about unsporting conduct at all! 

I hope that's not in reference to my posts(s).

Not at all sir. You yourself said that you didn't think he was trying to gain a corner. Hart is a top GK .If he can get in the way of a shot hit at 50/60 mph I'm sure he can get out of the way of a throw in that wasn't directly thrown at him!

Fair enough. Sorry for reading it wrongly. :D

The issue is, none of our other attackers can really play centrally as a forward focal point, Kozak maybe but I don't know if he will feature.

So at the moment I don't think Garde has much choice but to use Gestede and encourage Amavi, Gil, Sinclair et al to actually send in some crosses, even if this is plan B from the bench.

Until we have signed a decent central target man or all rounder in Jan, I think we will still struggle for goals.

But who knows Garde may have another system that can get goals out of the players we have.

How much were QPR asking? 15 mill? A little overpriced but with the premier league money rising how can he be overlooked. I reckon Sherwood threw the toys out the pram when he didn't get Adebayer, it was him or nobody.

Edited by jasoncb

Nice to see the MotD pundits taking Rudy's side on the whole corner 'controversy'.  I only wish he'd scored from the resulting corner, City burned any goodwill they had from me when they collectively acted like arseholes because Rudy wouldn't let Joe Hart be an arsehole. 

Yes, even though the pr*ck of a presenter kept trying to push the controversial aspect of it.  I particularly enjoyed Jenas' dismissive laugh at the end when whatshisface said "but he could've thrown it softer".

EDIT : After a quick Mooney, seemingly it's 'Mark Chapman'.  clearing in the woods.

Edited by BOF

Nice to see the MotD pundits taking Rudy's side on the whole corner 'controversy'.  I only wish he'd scored from the resulting corner, City burned any goodwill they had from me when they collectively acted like arseholes because Rudy wouldn't let Joe Hart be an arsehole. 

Yes, even though the pr*ck of a presenter kept trying to push the controversial aspect of it.  I particularly enjoyed Jenas' dismissive laugh at the end when whatshisface said "but he could've thrown it softer".

EDIT : After a quick Mooney, seemingly it's 'Mark Chapman'.  clearing in the woods.

We wouldn't have liked it if it happened to us, though.  I can see both sides tbh.

We wouldn't have liked it if it happened to us, though.  I can see both sides tbh.

I can see both sides too,  but we need to be careful to see what it was that Gestede actually did before we decide on a stance.  He wanted a goalkick.  That's all.  Hart didn't.  Hart **** it up.  Gestede threw it away from Hart.  Hart had enough time to jump in the way (and balls up the first touch).  Similarly, if Gestede WAS trying to throw it at Hart to engineer a corner then Hart would have had time to jump out of the way (given he had time to jump in the way).

Basically it all looked much worse on initial view and even while they were taking the corner it didn't sit well with me because I had picked it up wrong.  I had initially thought the worst.  But on replay I got what he'd done and was much more comfortable with it.

I can see both sides too,  but we need to be careful to see what it was that Gestede actually did before we decide on a stance.  He wanted a goalkick.  That's all.  Hart didn't.  Hart **** it up.  Gestede threw it away from Hart.  Hart had enough time to jump in the way (and balls up the first touch).  Similarly, if Gestede WAS trying to throw it at Hart to engineer a corner then Hart would have had time to jump out of the way (given he had time to jump in the way).

Basically it all looked much worse on initial view and even while they were taking the corner it didn't sit well with me because I had picked it up wrong.  I had initially thought the worst.  But on replay I got what he'd done and was much more comfortable with it.

It's even more than that. Hart was acting in an unsporting manner.

I can't see both sides at all.  Gestede wanted to give the ball back to Manchester City. He signalled to Joe Hart on multiple occasions that he was going to throw it out for a goal kick but Joe Hart wanted the ball to his feet so he could launch the ball forwards while Gestede was out of position.  Gestede would be an absolute idiot to allow Joe Hart to dictate what he should do like that so he threw it hard for a goal kick.  Hart could have just watched the ball go out and his team would have regained possession but no, he tried to be clever and trap it and cocked it up to the point where he conceded a corner.  The way City reacted to something which was entirely their own fault is probably what pushed us into attacking the corner. 

• Like 3

I have no issue with what happened.

The moral high ground can get crowded with idiots; Rudy was clear what he was trying to do - Joe Hart was trying to do something different, and ballsed it up. His problem. The Man City players getting indignant was inevitable.

Wherever there is 'sportsmanship' involved, it can be a grey area - and for me the ref's should play a bigger role, and communicate intent to both sides. So, once he knew we were planning to send it back for a goal kick - tell the GK to get out of the way.

• Like 1

Well, in my experience from when a player goes down injured, the ball is thrown back to the opposing team in play.  Gestede throwing it for a goal kick is a slightly dick-move - not because he's trying to win a corner (he isn't) but because it's essentially slowing Man City down at the end of a game during a period of play when they're on top... against the bottom side in the league.  If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd feel it was a pretty shitty thing to do.

Nothing major, by all means, but it's slightly poor form IMO.  Of course, I'm perfectly happy with it all as it wasted enough time for us in the end :D

I think with two minutes to go and virtually the entire City team in the Villa half then dynamics change.  Hart was trying to gain an advantage from the situation and he threw his toys out of the pram when Rudy wouldn't give him that advantage.  

I think with two minutes to go and virtually the entire City team in the Villa half then dynamics change.  Hart was trying to gain an advantage from the situation and he threw his toys out of the pram when Rudy wouldn't give him that advantage.  

Maybe so.  Hart had the ball at his feet about to launch it at us before he kicked the ball out of play, though.  The advantage should be with Man City in that situation.  The ball going for a goal kick just slows the game down more.

Not a major deal, as I say, just not the greatest show of sportsmanship ever.

Â