Rudy Gestede

midian

I'll probably get panned for this, but I'm still of the belief that Rudy is being asked to do a job he doesn't have the tools for. The one player who seemed to be able to consistently provide him with a decent cross got injured (Amavi) and either by tactical design or lack of ability he's not getting enough service.

He's no Benteke that's for sure, but if we were able to provide 2-3 quality crosses every 90 minutes on his head near the penalty spot, I'm certain he'd be a 10-15 goal a year man.

2 minutes ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

I'll probably get panned for this, but I'm still of the belief that Rudy is being asked to do a job he doesn't have the tools for. The one player who seemed to be able to consistently provide him with a decent cross got injured (Amavi) and either by tactical design or lack of ability he's not getting enough service.

He's no Benteke that's for sure, but if we were able to provide 2-3 quality crosses every 90 minutes on his head near the penalty spot, I'm certain he'd be a 10-15 goal a year man.

100% agree, Sherwood played to Benteke's strengths and Garde is not the type of manager to change his philosophy on football to change to Rudy's strengths. The only service he gets are floaty crosses from Hutton. Amavi is a massive loss.

Really don't understand the whole 'we don't play to his strengths' argument.

Great, so we need to plan our whole season and all our tactics around accommodating a lazy, bumbling championship standard footballer.
It's nonsense. He isn't good enough at this level. He just isn't. 

Get rid, don't even want him in our championship side next year. He doesn't even win that many headers. Bring in someone who can actually control a football.

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Bournmouth?

That was a headed goal but I don't think it was anything special.

Not his fault, I'm not knocking that goal. I just thought the ones against Liverpool were the only ones where I've thought "Yep, another striker wouldn't have scored that goal"

15 minutes ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

The thing is, he was presented with a headed chance yesterday, on a silver platter, and his effort was pathetic.

• Like 1

That miss aside, no matter how good he is in the air he is far too limited on the ground to be playing in a more possession orientated team with wide-men that are always cutting in. Annoyingly and as I've seen others mention once he came off we started putting more crosses into the box. 

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But in games against teams like Arsenal you're only ever going to have a few chances.

If we can't rely on him to put away an easy headed chance, then why is he in the team?

I guess the problem is that truly clinical strikers are hard to come by. But not signing another striker was disgraceful. Sherwood really **** this one up. I think some of the signings were done by the " transfer team"  such as Ayew, Veretout, Adama, Gana etc, and some were Sherwood signings like Lescott and Rudy. 

But like other have said, he will be good for us next season. 

Â