Rudy Gestede

midian

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I honestly thought he'd turn it on in this league, but he simply can't get his legs to move. He doesn't drive at the ball and he never will, that mind/body connection just isn't there. 

How on earth he has earned a move to the PL I do not know. I bet he can't believe his luck. 

Good luck to the guy though. Top chap by all accounts. 

Unless it his chipped right onto his head the guy is as good as useless. Also 'optimising' around such a limited player isn't always the best tactic, he scored a lot at Blackburn but what did they achieve from it? Nothing but bottom half obscurity. Could prove similar with McCormack, granted a much better player than Gestede but fundamentally limited in many ways and requires the team to work around him, despite such a good goal haul last season Fulham finished 20th - they are currently 10th this season without as prolific forwards up front. 

Point being forwards these days need to be far more dynamic, excellent athletes who can play in more than one position across the front line and play multiple roles.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Funny isn't it how different players are viewed by us fans....

Trent, you know I'd ship Ayew out tomorrow too if it was up to me but Gestede is a whole other level of useless in comparison. Both are frustrating yes but Ayew has some undeniable talent, just not the brain to go with it unfortunately. Whereas Gestede was without a doubt one of the least talented footballers to ever grace Villa Park imo.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jim said:

All the best Rudy, watch him score 15 goals this season for Boro

and if he does then i'll be angry at him not us, dont think ive seen him run in to the box or lose his man 15 times for us let alone look like scoring

at the moment i dont even think he was lazy he just had ridiculously poor mobility, if he now starts looking lively and putting himself about then my opinion on that will change

42 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Ayew - 15/16 30 appearances 7 goals

16/17 20 appearances 2 goals

Gestede - 15/16 24 appearances 5 goals

16/17 13 appearances 4 goals

(above all according to Wiki)

So both pretty shit then?

If you set the team up to play purely to his strengths he'd perform better than he has done for us.

But he's not good enough to justify changing our whole team just for that.

An ok player, but poor in our system (if you can call it a system). Could well perform better elsewhere but not worth the upheaval for us to accommodate him

• Like 4

3 hours ago, John said:

I guess the deal might not be still on the table at the end of the window and it is too good a deal to turn down (for us and I hope Rudy). I have to add that I myself would not think Rudy would have any more impact during the rest of this month than he has done for us to date this season and that impact has been little to none. I would prefer to see Rushian Hepburn-Murphy get first team action this month rather than Rudy.

Any news on a press conference at Boro yet (surely this deal should be done today)? 

Yep, all good and valid points John, hence my 'not bothered' attitude to the whole thing but knowing our luck RHM, McCormack and Gabby will all get cruciate ligament injuries against Tottenham on Sunday!

Just think the timings a little strange is all, but it is a great bit of business for us regardless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Ayew - 15/16 30 appearances 7 goals

16/17 20 appearances 2 goals

Gestede - 15/16 24 appearances 5 goals

16/17 13 appearances 4 goals

(above all according to Wiki)

Ayew has played as a wide forward most of the time since being here.  You'd have to factor in assists as well to get the full picture.  Plus have eyes and watch the two play.  Rudy bless him is one of the worst footballers I've ever seen professionally.

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Ayew has played as a wide forward most of the time since being here.  You'd have to factor in assists as well to get the full picture.  Plus have eyes and watch the two play.  Rudy bless him is one of the worst footballers I've ever seen professionally.

Yes he is a worse footballer but has a better goals to game ratio. I'm sure Ayew has more assists, I'm also sure he has started a lot more games.

I'm not making a comparison on their abilities just highlighting their impact is remarkably similar yet how they are viewed isn't.

Personally I think it should make some question the way they view Ayew.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes he is a worse footballer but has a better goals to game ratio. I'm sure Ayew has more assists, I'm also sure he has started a lot more games.

I'm not making a comparison on their abilities just highlighting their impact is remarkably similar yet how they are viewed isn't.

I know you're not fond of Ayew but he was one of the few who gave a shit last season and provided most of our bits of quality, few and far between as they were.  He also stayed in the summer when the other guys (except Amavi obviously) from the French league left.  He's not perfect, but I don't think he's worth selling right now.  I think he and McCormack will improve with a better midfield behind them, whereas Gestede is just a really, really bad player.

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't recall a single time he was on the pitch where I thought he was going to be a good player for us. 

I did when he came off the bench and scored the winner against Bournemouth opening day of last season.

18 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I wonder if you're target audience are the same optimists suggesting Rudy would be good if we played to his strengths?... Whatever they were.

Complete donkey for 80 minutes against liverpool last season, then out of no where scored 2 great headers. Also got us a winner against Bournemouth and the blues. 

Very limited player who looked even worse in our team once Amavi got hurt. We did not play to his style whatsoever so quite often he looked really bad. 

Its interesting to read Rudy's comments on how the communication between himself and Rhodes took place prior to him signing for 'borough.

seems like they think they can repeat the 68 goals they scored at Blackburn.

If it is such a feasible concept, why did we not keep him and sign Rhodes?

It will be interesting to see it unfold.

Edited by TRO

Â