Rudy Gestede

midian

On 1/4/2017 at 18:08, R.Bear said:

When we sign proven Championship goalscorers they stop scoring, isnt it brilliant?

See also McCormack, Ross.

But when was the last time we had a partnership up front, a proper partnership.

On 1/4/2017 at 14:23, Stevo985 said:

If you set the team up to play purely to his strengths he'd perform better than he has done for us.

But he's not good enough to justify changing our whole team just for that.

An ok player, but poor in our system (if you can call it a system). Could well perform better elsewhere but not worth the upheaval for us to accommodate him

I have a hunch, that until we get a midfield, it will be difficult to appraise properly any of our players.......such is the malfunction of it.

On 1/4/2017 at 13:36, TrentVilla said:

Funny isn't it how different players are viewed by us fans....

Ayew - 15/16 30 appearances 7 goals

16/17 20 appearances 2 goals

Gestede - 15/16 24 appearances 5 goals

16/17 13 appearances 4 goals

(above all according to Wiki)

I think both aren't good enough and neither justified their purchase price. I agree with your point though Ayew gets a free pass around here for some bizarre reason that I'm unaware of. He's cranky, greedy and sporadic.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 3

I wasn't a fan of him last season, he'll struggle to score too many in the PL, but he's not handful whatever league you're in. 

I'd have kept him, but like I mentioned earlier if selling him means we can sign someone like Lansbury, then that improves our squad overall, even if it weakens our attack. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Deano and Dalian.

Yes they were good for a while. I think Savo and Yorke weren't bad either.  Withe and Shaw and Gray and Little were outstanding

Edited by PaulC

8 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Gabby and Big John with Young, Milner, Barry and Downing feeding them...

Happy days! Although I don't think Barry and Downing ever played together. 

Homer-Simpson-Homer-Badman1.gif

• Like 1

On 1/7/2017 at 10:47, PompeyVillan said:

I wasn't a fan of him last season, he'll struggle to score too many in the PL, but he's not handful whatever league you're in. 

I'd have kept him, but like I mentioned earlier if selling him means we can sign someone like Lansbury, then that improves our squad overall, even if it weakens our attack. 

I think the right midfield signing would actually strengthen our attack even with Rudy leaving. This isn't a slight on Gestede as I like him, but I think the fact that McCormack and Kodjia have scored about 3/4 goals each from open play is more down to the midfield than it is them.

• 2 months later...

Just watching a bit of. The Citeh Borough game and saw him leap for a pretty decent cross and loop a more or less unchallenged header over the bar, then get injured and limped off. Commentators saying he just can't get going at Borough. 

Â