Micah Richards

Demitri_C

Assuaged a lot of my doubts today.

Although... now I think of it I only developed these doubts through reading the somehow convincing negative posts on here.

Clearly, the moral is: never read.

Or take preseason for what it is, a training exercise.

I think we will accept in time that Richards is a bit of a Laursen type, he wants to go and attack the ball, he's not content with sitting back all the time and waiting for it to come to him. Today, he got that balance *just right*, it was an assured performance from a player who clearly, for me at least, possesses the ability.

Back to the point, I'd rather he was honing those skills against Swindon than on the big stage. It's also worth saying that they are probably encouraged, and want, to be more involved during preseason. They are also more liable to lapses in concentration, because whilst winning is never a bad thing it really is utterly irrelevant during preseason.

Onwards and upwards Captain Richards.

• Like 4

Up and down today.

Terrifying in possession, and I don't trust him positionally.

Won some big challenges and encouraged everyone within 70 yards of him which was great to see.

OK overall.

Instant Captain Material: Just add claret.

But seriously, someone earlier said it seems that Richards is learning this centre back lark on the job.  I largely agree, and am beginning to see some positives in that.  They'll grow together and grow stronger together.  Now, let's see how he recovers from when a mistake or lapse in concentration inevitably leads to a goal.  That may maketh the man.

Up and down today.

Terrifying in possession, and I don't trust him positionally.

Won some big challenges and encouraged everyone within 70 yards of him which was great to see.

OK overall.

This. 

- Some great tackles

- Plenty of interceptions

- Some poor decisions (weak clearance that led to a great chance for them, the time where he decided to stop tracking back to cover and slow down for some unknown reason, those mental runs up the pitch for no reason)

Obviously an awesome athlete and thus can use his strength and pace to get himself out of tricky situations. Jury is still out on the more defensive intelligence based side of his game i.e positioning and decision making but only time will tell. This one game certainly hasn't alleviated all concerns for me about him raised from preseason games as it appears it has for some, but he certainly has the raw tools to be a very good player.

He's massively quick. At times yesterday he seemed to be jogging and he was still outpacing the striker. I'd like to see him in actual top gear. I think the captain's armband has had the desired effect too. He's going to take this position and role very seriously, and we're going to benefit from that.

He's a winner. That's what Sherwood wanted.

He may well have positional deficiencies but I think they may only be exposed on occasion because he such a beast he can out pace and over power most attackers.

Early signs are that he's an improvement on Vlaar.

We need a consistent defensive unit, we haven't had one for a long time. I think Micah has a lot to learn himself but looked really promising against Bournemouth and I agree that he can help Bacuna both positionally and mirroring his athleticism to cover him when needed.

Â