Micah Richards

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, mattyg38 said:

I am wondering would any of us accept that. If you have a contract that going to pay you for another twelve months and access to club doctors and physios during that period, would you accept half the money? If he was going to another club then fine, he gets additional money, but if he plans to retire due to the injuries then surely all of us would try to maximize any final payouts. What does the club get out of it if it has to pay up his wages in full ? Just curious.

I think we as supporters want professional footballers to have some decency and accept that, as young millionaires, they could at least save the club some money. Of course, as you suggest, the reality is probably quite different.

If we can get him out of his deal - even by paying off the remaining wages in full - we might be able to divest ourselves of any non-paying bonuses he is privy to (promotion bonuses, for example). 

and as has been mentioned it also saves a ( little ) bit on costs associating with training, food etc. Not very much, but frankly on the very safe assumption that no one in their right mind will sign him, even paying him up 95% of his contract is worth it

11 minutes ago, mattyg38 said:

I am wondering would any of us accept that. If you have a contract that going to pay you for another twelve months and access to club doctors and physios during that period, would you accept half the money? If he was going to another club then fine, he gets additional money, but if he plans to retire due to the injuries then surely all of us would try to maximize any final payouts. What does the club get out of it if it has to pay up his wages in full ? Just curious.

If I collected £3.3m in wages since I last played a game id like to think I would happily accept 50% pay off. All depends on how decent of a person you are I guess. 

There's no benefit releasing him early otherwise. He was helping the youth teams apparently so I'd rather him do that than letting him sit at home with a full pay out 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Either there’s something grossly wrong with the medicals we give or (more likely) managers can disregard the medical’s results and accept the risk. 

We seem to have gone down the latter route with Richards and McCormack. More worrying is that we clearly did the same with Hogan. 

Theres a medic somewhere saying ‘I told you so’ about Richards. 

I doubt McCormack's issues are the kind of thing that show up on a medical to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I doubt McCormack's issues are the kind of thing that show up on a medical to be honest.

Unfortunately, v true. I don’t know the full details of what he’s going through so I’ll err on the side of sympathy.  

Gotta say, though, his is an odd case and we seem to excel at attracting odd cases. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

If I collected £3.3m in wages since I last played a game id like to think I would happily accept 50% pay off. All depends on how decent of a person you are I guess. 

There's no benefit releasing him early otherwise. He was helping the youth teams apparently so I'd rather him do that than letting him sit at home with a full pay out 

I wouldn't.

I would have planned for the future and made sure i am set for life, but that's a lot of money to leave on the table. if I had become accustomed to a certain lavish lifestyle where the security of a £200k pay cheque rolls in every month, and was now staring into the abyss of the end of my career.... it would make me think twice about counting my blessings and being the better man.

It is not as if he is walking away to play football, or enjoy his finals years as a footballer. He is done, finished.

2 hours ago, KHV said:

Basically he had injury problems for a number of years before he joined. His knees are totally shot to shit, Bruce has even said Micah has a great attitude around the place but sadly his body wont hold up. He gets inflammation and fluid around the kneecaps which happens after playing. If he plays one game he is rendered useless for a period of time. I think he has had countless procedures over the years but it can't be cured.

Makes you wonder why we signed him in the first place to be honest

Who approved his bloody medical!?

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

If I collected £3.3m in wages since I last played a game id like to think I would happily accept 50% pay off.

You wouldn't though.

Especially if the prospect of earning anywhere near the same sort of money again is minimal.

• Like 2

I can guarantee I wouldn't. In any contract, there is an element of risk. The club hope the player will be awesome but often he isn't, for any number of reasons.

It's the club's risk and if a player has agreed to the conditions of the contract, so have the club. It's nothing to do with decency, it's about contractual obligations. There would be very few (if any) players who'd walk away from what they're owed in a similar situation. 

I guess it depends what the percentage pay off would be and whether Richards would weigh that up with getting out of the obligation to turn up to training four of five times a week.

He may want to move away or whatever, we don’t know. Even if he does leave early, I doubt it will be a significant saving. But I guess every penny saved helps.

You might "like to think" you would but you wouldn't. A contract is a contract. It's not his fault we didn't include any proper pay for performance conditions in it. A fool and his money are easily parted as they say. 

Even if I was a “decent person”, I’d read this forum and think “**** them, I’ll collect my wages until my contract ends”. Not a chance I’d accept a payoff on terms I’ll never get ever again. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Fair enough.

So why would we pay his contract to release him? What's the point? 

So everyone is released from the weight of havin g Richards around, knowing he is drawing a massive wage for **** all, drawing a line under it very visibly will hopefully psychologically put an end to years of needlessly pissing money up the wall on huge contracts for wasters.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Fair enough.

He may take a cut by taking a single lump of money. For example offer him a lump sum immediately to leave instead of monthly payments. 

Edited by Alakagom

5 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Fair enough.

To give the medical team more time to focus on the less hopeless cases in the squad?

Or perhaps he's got a job as a pundit waiting?

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I wouldn't.

I would have planned for the future and made sure i am set for life, but that's a lot of money to leave on the table. if I had become accustomed to a certain lavish lifestyle where the security of a £200k pay cheque rolls in every month, and was now staring into the abyss of the end of my career.... it would make me think twice about counting my blessings and being the better man.

It is not as if he is walking away to play football, or enjoy his finals years as a footballer. He is done, finished.

Staring into the abyss! If that’s what an abyss looks like I’d happily stare into it! I know everything is relative but come on.

Â