Paddy Riley

smetrov

33 minutes ago, useless said:

Bought some promising players to the club but he and others failed at building a team. 

Isn't that the key bit?

Needs to go due to association alone. He was part of a team that failed badly, a team that have rightfully been shown the door. I'm not sure how he can survive the cull. 

I always worry about that line......a promising player.

all they promise is uncertainty.

some players you see come through.....i.e Barry,Little, Shaw,Cowans.

They were never promising, they was certainties.

On 19/06/2016 at 18:39, av1 said:

Isn't that the key bit?

Exactly.  If you can spot a Player then be a scout. However he spent a significant amount of money to assemble a SQUAD who were one of the worst in history. Individual players may have been OK and I do only mean OK* but the squad.,  the overall vision was beyond disaster. Prime example was spending a lot of money on Gestade but not having a single player to cross to him or any plan on how to utilise him. Or spending another significant sum on Traore as one for the future when we needed someone for NOW. 

His tenure has been an absolute and total disaster,  in fact disaster doesn't even begin to describe it. We got 17 points and BOURNEMOUTH blinking BOURNEMOUTH got 42.  He put together the most utterly contemptible squad ever,  weak,  gutless, embarrassments who produced the most humiliating season of my 46 years  of supporting this club

*and I still think people are massively over rating much of our squad from last year you just cannot be that utterly awful if you have mainly good players. I won't mourn one single one of them if they decide to go, not one. . Some I would prefer to keep like Ayew or Amavi but will not lose ANY sleep if they go. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

Wonder if he was involved in the recruitment of Tommy Elphick? It was presented very much as a Di Matteo choice. 

If not, it may indicate he has already been sidelined compared with his former central role in recruitment

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Wonder if he was involved in the recruitment of Tommy Elphick? It was presented very much as a Di Matteo choice. 

If not, it may indicate he has already been sidelined compared with his former central role in recruitment

No he wasn't. He was a recommendation from Kevin Bond who you will notice Elphick mentions in one of the clips doing the rounds.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Exactly.  If you can spot a Player then be a scout. However he spent a significant amount of money to assemble a SQUAD who were one of the worst in history. Individual players may have been OK and I do only mean OK* but the squad.,  the overall vision was beyond disaster. Prime example was spending a lot of money on Gestade but not having a single player to cross to him or any plan on how to utilise him. Or spending another significant sum on Traore as one for the future when we needed someone for NOW. 

His tenure has been an absolute and total disaster,  in fact disaster doesn't even begin to describe it. We got 17 points and BOURNEMOUTH blinking BOURNEMOUTH got 42.  He put together the most utterly contemptible squad ever,  weak,  gutless, embarrassments who produced the most humiliating season of my 46 years  of supporting this club

*and I still think people are massively over rating much of our squad from last year you just cannot be that utterly awful if you have mainly good players. I won't mourn one single one of them if they decide to go, not one. . Some I would prefer to keep like Ayew or Amavi but will not lose ANY sleep if they go. 

ditto

12 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

If I knew his role I could comment.

We had Lambert, a chancer and a man with dignity as managers.

We also has friction-makers in Gaby, Keane & Duverne.

Grealish's partying.

A shot GK

A defence made up of 

Hutton - Mistakesville

Richards - RB as a CB

Lescott - a crock, slow and trouble

Richardson - simply shite

Midfield - unbalanced & lightweight

Wingers - none

Playmaker/provider - noone

Goalscorer - nobody

Is PR responsible for (the bad)

Guzan Hutton Richards Lescott Richardson Bacuna Sinclair N'Zog Gaby ?

Or was he responsible for (the good)

Okore Amavi Gana Ayew Veretout Gil Adama?

were his hands tied?

I'm all for a new beginning, but to blame someone who may or may not have been a major culprit may not be right.

In my view it was a bunch of cohorts who kept their heads well below the parapet, took the money and kept their mouths shut on each other.

No one from the senior management team had the credentials to challenge them.

This last 6 years just became everyday life for them and torture for us......and silly Randy was funding this holiday camp/rehabilitation centre.

Edited by TRO

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Exactly.  If you can spot a Player then be a scout. However he spent a significant amount of money to assemble a SQUAD who were one of the worst in history.

Hold up, isn't it the recruiters job to RECRUIT, and the managers job to MANAGE/assemble the players/squad?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villas-paddy-riley-spotted-11727868?

Aston Villa's Paddy Riley spotted scouting at EFL Cup tie

Villa's Director of Scouting & Player Recruitment was out and about checking out talent tonight

Aston Villa's Paddy Riley was spotted at Molineux for Wolverhampton Wanderers' EFL Cup tie against Crawley tonight.

Riley's future at Villa was called into question when new owner Tony Xia publicly criticised the job the club's Director of Scouting & Player Recruitment had done last year.

But the former video analyst remains in position, for the time being at least, and witnessed Wolves' 2-1 first round win over Crawley.

Riley is believed to be working with Roberto Di Matteo and checking out potential targets until a technical director comes in.

Then, it is expected he will either leave Villa, or take a back seat role.

Villa are still searching for a new technical director and there are currently two candidates under consideration.

There were suggestions Riley would pay the price for last season's relegation shambles by following chief executive Tom Fox and sporting director Hendrik Almstadt out of the club.

Xia was asked about Riley's future when he was unveiled as Villa's new owner in June. The Chinese businessman replied: “Honestly, everyone should agree with me, that he didn’t do too well.

“So people should understand what he has to do, what responsibility he has to take."

Just in case you forgot he was still here.

On 21 June 2016 at 09:28, briny_ear said:

No he wasn't it was a Kevin Bond recommendation.

10 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Perhaps Wolves are trying to poach him and he's doing a bit of background research. :D

who needs them players Jorge Mendes recommends when Riley can pick out random lads from Ligue 1 who were good on his FIFA 2015 team ;) 

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Jarpie said:

How the hell is Reilly still at the club? I thought he'd been kicked out when the takeover was completed. Based on what I've read, unbelievable he's still around.

I assume he has his uses, and probably didn't do as catastrophic a job as the likes of Collymore suggested.  Perhaps he's just filled in until Round's appointment.  Who knows, really.

Â