The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tim-sherwood-still-absolutely-furious-15593714

Tim Sherwood is still seething at Tom Fox’s decision to appoint Hendrik Almstadt as Aston Villa’s first ever sporting director.

German Almstadt, who had a background of business and economics, followed Fox from Arsenal to Villa Park in 2015 and played a leading role in Villa’s recruitment that summer.

Sherwood has often distanced himself from several of the players Villa signed the summer before the relegation campaign of 2015/16 and has once again taken aim at the club’s old regime.

Speaking on Sky Sports’ Debate recently, Sherwood questioned the role of a sporting director.

He said: “Tom Fox, who came from Arsenal, brought someone in. Hendrik what’s his name - I don’t know his name.

“He crunched the numbers, he learnt the game from a screen, and he tried to justify everything by that. He was a very bright guy, an academic, and he was selling it to the chairman with the pie charts and the grids.

“It totally took all of the recruitment away from me. He thought it was a good idea that (Christian) Benteke was sold, and Fabian Delph, Tom Cleverley wasn’t signed again and Ron Vlaar. That was the core, the foundation of my side, and to replace them we brought in some guys from French football who had no experience of the Premier League before.

"But they were brought in without my wishes. It’s difficult when you’re the manager and you’ve got to deal with a group of players… I had to be part of it (recruitment), 100 per cent I had to be part of that.

“Even if they wanted to spend 10 quid, it had to be my 10 quid.”

Since leaving Villa in 2015 Sherwood hasn’t been able to find a route back into management. The 49-year-old briefly enjoyed a stint as director of football at Swindon Town but left following their relegation to League Two in 2017.

What a load of BS...  He 100% was behind the Richards/Lescott/Gestede signings.  Those three were the first names on the teamsheet, regardless of their performances.  Sherwood was trying to make a statement and only wanted to play "his" players at the time and alienated the "French football... no experience" players.  When he had to rely on them to get results, they didn't want to play for him...

Look at how Gueye, Veretout, and Amavi all ended up.  Ayew was the exception of the bunch, but the other three all moved on to better things after that season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In terms of signings it seems the issue was two fold over that summer of 2015 then. Who we signed and the manager not being on board with many of the signings and when that happens you are heading for big trouble.

We have a system now where 3 or 4 people will have an input into identifying signings but the man ultimately responsible for getting the best out of them, currently Smith, will have the final say. That happens at plenty of clubs. The days of a manager being solely responsible for deciding ins and outs are long gone for a lot of clubs.

That summer we needed a rebuild and knowing Sherwood wasn't going to be on board with many of the signings we had two choices. Either don't make those signings in the first place or replace the manager before the season starts. We did neither and the shit show that followed was the result.

In fairness though a man who had never bought or sold a player should never have been manager during a summer where a massive rebuild was required.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s full of shit. 

Even if you believe him, the players that were allegedly brought in without his say were our best players. And the players he wanted were Lescott, Richards and Gestede. 

Absolute chancer. The worst manager we’ve ever had and will never have a proper management career. 

Also with his comments questioning the point of a sporting director is talking himself out of getting another job, as most clubs are going that way nowadays.  Not that he had much hope of getting another manager's job anyway mind you.

Benteke and Delph simply had their release clauses met and tbh it was time for both to leave and further their careers even with the messy way Delph left.

Vlaar in any case was surprise surprise injured the next season and don't think he properly played for AZ Alkmaar until 2016. Everton were finishing top 8 when they signed Cleverley and he still lived in the North west while he was on loan with us so easy move.

I defend Tim but yes when you see the signings he came up with that summer....from memory he also wanted Townsend, Lennon and Tom Huddlestone. Huddlestone struggles to get in a game in this league, Lennon can't get a regular game for Burnley and also had serious off the field issues at Everton so would've been a McCormack type signing I'm afraid in 2015. Townsend would've been best of that and he struggles with his consistancy as we've seen at Palace.

Ultimately we circled the drain for many seasons and summer 2015 it all just came to a head, lost so much quality and that was that. Some of the guys from the French league are good players as they've gone on to show since leaving us (Amavi making the French squad and Gana being a regular for Everton) but it was just too much of a void to fill particularly as our forward options were rubbish.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Sherwood is a classic example of a backwards manager (if you can even call him that) who trusts mediocre British players and basically nobody else. The game's moved on in the last 20 years since he was a player, but he hasn't.

When he was appointed it should have only been a short term appointment until the summer.

We needed an experienced manager to carry out the rebuild.At the time I thought the team that went down was one of the worst villa teams I had ever seen but a lot of those players were actually pretty good they needed more experience around them some players like Terry etc and relegation might not have happened

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I think most of us were excited by the Richards signing. 

It's a football managers job to sign players who will perform. Not players who will excite the fans when he's signed and then be utter shite.

The Richards signing sums up why Sherwood was as terrible as he is.

Edited by Stevo985

Â