The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I probably go against the grain here but I don't really have anything against, or any ill feeling towards, any of the managers in the last 5 years or so of Lerners reign. I think McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde all did their best but were all pissing in the wind and swimming against the tide due to the ineptitude of the owner.

Just solely focusing on Sherwood when he initially came in he did as well as any of us could have hoped in keeping us in the Premier League and taking us to the FA Cup final. That semi final against Liverpool is arguably the highlight of the last handful of years. We then lost the 4 best players he inherited in Delph, Benteke, Vlaar and Cleverly and we spent 50 mill trying to replace them and improve a squad that overall lacked quality and had been struggling for years. Any manager would struggle let alone one that had never bought or sold a player before and you could certainly argue for that reason alone he should never have been in charge over that summer.

I get that some people don't like his wide boy personality but in terms of the task he faced here he was just unfortunate to be one of a line of managers that were on a hiding to nothing and working with one, or both, hands tied behind their back, due to the incompetence of those above.

He had the biggest budget out of any of our managers in that time. In that one window (his first ever) he was given more money than Lambert's 3 seasons (and 6 windows) combined. McLeish also got a fraction of that in his 2 windows. Lambert had a bigger rebuild job on his hands but was given a fraction of the budget and still kept us up.This was before the insane TV deal too, so it was a fair bit for our standing. His hands were not really tied, at least as much as some of our other managers, and to do as poorly as he did was down to him and him alone.

• Like 1

Sherwood was given ample to be honest and was shown to be a complete fraud tactically. 

However, he did motivate the players to Wembley and we stayed up for an extra season. So it wasn’t all bad. 

Off topic, but what I find mad is that whenever we have these debates on here about how poor Sherwood, Lambert, Di Matteo etc were, I find myself thinking “Oh yeah, Mcleish.” with almost complete apathy now.

For me that’s the most telling thing about these other managers, that I can look back on that season and him generally with an almost indifferent shrug when compared to the negativity that surrounds the other subsequent duds. I suppose that’s because I knew it wouldn’t work, whereas the others I had some (short lived) hope for.

Anyway, Sherwood was terrible. I liked his enthusiasm, that was pretty infectious. But that’s about it.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He had the biggest budget out of any of our managers in that time. In that one window (his first ever) he was given more money than Lambert's 3 seasons (and 6 windows) combined. McLeish also got a fraction of that in his 2 windows. Lambert had a bigger rebuild job on his hands but was given a fraction of the budget and still kept us up.This was before the insane TV deal too, so it was a fair bit for our standing. His hands were not really tied, at least as much as some of our other managers, and to do as poorly as he did was down to him and him alone.

As Mark says though he still lost so much quality in one go, Vlaar, Delph, Benteke, our international quality players and pretty much the spine of a side that had only just stayed up the previous three seasons.

We saw other clubs around that time much better than us really struggle after losing one player (Liverpool Suarez and Bale Spurs).

I agree with Mark there way some enjoyable times in his reign in the first part but first warning signings were the 6-1 at Southampton where our tactics were non existant.

To me it was simply a case of an inexperienced manager completely out of his depth at the task in hand in summer 2015 and boy did it show with our start to that season.

• Like 2

Wow just wow

Tim Sherwood delivers his verdict on whether Aston Villa will be promoted this season

Aston Villa are currently in third place in the Championship table.

Tim Sherwood has told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, which was broadcast on TalkSPORT on 9th January, that he believes Aston Villa will be promoted this season.

Villa have won their last six league matches in succession to put serious pressure on second placed Derby County.

The claret and blues are just one point behind Gary Rowett’s side now, with their next match coming against Birmingham City.

The second city derby promises to be a test for both sides, but Sherwood feels that Villa are just hitting their stride.

“Villa are on the march. They have the squad, they have the firepower and the manager,” Sherwood said.

“It’s a massive game. Amazingly, I was told by the club that it didn’t matter. That you can rest the players for the Premier League! Fortunately I realised it did matter and we got the win.

“It [the club] is going to be back where it belongs, I’m sure, next season.”

Bruce has faced criticism at times this term, but his side’s performances over January earned him the Manager of the Month award.

Villa will now be looking to make it seven wins in a row, to continue their impressive run of form, but doing so is sure to be a challenge.

Birmingham have shown signs of promise over recent weeks, and are unbeaten in their last four outings in the Championship

Hmmm

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah a cup game in 2015. First time we played them in 4 and a half years  One of only 2 games he won that season.

Gestede scored the winner didn't he in a 1-0 win, it was only the league Cup so I can well imagine that the owner wasnt overly arsed about it. Given his lack of interest in all other aspects 

Edited by bannedfromHandV

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah a cup game in 2015. First time we played them in 4 and a half years  One of only 2 games he won that season.

Ah ok, that makes the comments about concentrating on the league make more sense (not that I agree with them)

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we lost that game I think Sherwood would have gone sooner esp if he played a weaker side and we lost at home to them a league below us. 

Well no.. because.. the owner of the club told him the game didn't matter..

Do you even read? :lol::P 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'm not one to try and defend a clown like Sherwood too much but I'm not convinced he had much say, if any at all, in those summer transfers. The extent to which he had 'final say' seems to be a bit dubious IMO, I seem to recall it being suggested he wanted the likes of Andros Townsend et al during that period. Although I would have personally sacked him for performances at the end of his first season and FA Cup final. 

30 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm not one to try and defend a clown like Sherwood too much but I'm not convinced he had much say, if any at all, in those summer transfers. The extent to which he had 'final say' seems to be a bit dubious IMO, I seem to recall it being suggested he wanted the likes of Andros Townsend et al during that period. Although I would have personally sacked him for performances at the end of his first season and FA Cup final. 

He was more than happy to claim credit, said he had been watching them when at Spurs, only when he needed excuses did the wind change.

30 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I agree, we don't know. But in typical Tim Sherwood fashion, he claimed he had the final say in the transfers and scouted them all himself at first. Once it was clear they weren't working out, he tried to wash his hands from them. He's a self-aggrandizing narcissist. The Donald Trump of football.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Gestede scored the winner didn't he in a 1-0 win, it was only the league Cup so I can well imagine that the owner wasnt overly arsed about it. Given his lack of interest in all other aspects 

Only 33k turned up aswell so didn't catch the imagination as the league fixtures do.

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He had as much say as any of our other managers in recent times. He just moaned about it in an interview once and it’s become Villa legend that he didn’t have any say. 

Allegedly the players he really really pushed for were Richards, Lescott and Gestede. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It was a peach of a cross from Amavi if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

It was all Adam Federici fault

his blunder vs Arsenal and it could have been a Villa vs Reading FA Cup final. We win that all our stars stay and we do a Leicester and win the league with Gabby in the Vardy role. Tim would be Sir Tim and Bacuna a multiple Ballon D'Or winner at this stage

what could have been

• Like 2

Â