The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Sadly a second is probably about as long a we could afford him.

Yeah, wishful thinking, I know, but if he's truly keen on a return to the Premier League, what are his other options?

Would be a pretty amazing step up in managerial quality for us compared to the last couple of managers.

As you say it won't be him, but he's the type of manager we need, a real tactician and not some flimsy "motivator" without a clear idea of how he want's us to play.

A lot of people saying "I wouldn't have Rodgers" and "I wouldn't want Moyes".

This is Aston Villa Football Club. Just remember the names that were suggested when Tom unveils Dick Advocaat or Felix Magath next week.

Exactly people thinking we can attract bigger names are fooling themselves

Edited by Demitri_C

Yeah I read the full story, it's a nothing interview really. The only hints he drops between talking about salmon fishing in Canada is that a week ago he was terrified about someone phoning to offer him a job but now he was quite looking forward to it. He mentions that he'd like an "English experience" again, saying Spain is always either Barca or Real. He then talks a bit about who might win the champs league (includes PSG with Di Maria as one of his favourites among the usual suspects) and says Serie A is really open now Fiorentina have surprised the bigger names in transition.

Now, the likelihood of any of this adding up to Carlo coming here to be our manager is slim to non existent. If he'd said he wanted to take a struggling English club and try to get them up the table then maybe we could read something in to that. He really would want to be able to have another crack at the Champions league surely? Even if he came and was the most amazing manager we've ever had, you'd say it'd take a few years to even qualify let alone have a crack at it. He's not getting any younger so I really doubt that. 

• Like 1

Taking particular consideration of just how long remains on Sherwood's contract here and the sort of pay off that will entail, I don't think there is any chance of us shelling out millions in compensation on his successor on top*. Which is fine, as there is a reasonable collection of decent managers currently out of work. So there is no reason why we can't secure the services of a more than adequate replacement even if we limit ourselves to that field.

*Moyes could be the exception to that as he is supposedly not far off the sack himself at Sociedad. I guess if so then it could benefit all parties if they were to allow him to leave for minimal compensation.

Yes Moyes might suit both parties.  They are looking to get rid and Villa are wanting him.  Might not be a high price to pay to get him.

It has all got very public, and throughout our club, from the owner down, there has been a policy of keeping things in-house. The club will not be liking this, and if it persists I doubt he will even make it to the Swansea game.

Yeah can say one thing for Faulkner, We never did this much dirty washing in public! 

Beginning to look like a right bunch of amateurs

The club is not doing any dirty washing in public, its the manager who is doing it. That was my point.

And I think the higher echelons of the club look quite professional.

• Like 2

Seems like Moyes is getting more likely, but after 2 failures in his last 2 jobs I think he's becoming a bit tainted.  He's hardly a 'modern' manager and the constant injuries when at Everton were supposed to be a result of his antiquated training methods.

Still surprised by the general sentiment on here. I think this is partly because many of us gave the benefit of the doubt to Lambert for so long, and now we've had our fingers burnt we don't want it to happen again.

My view is still that I would love 4 points from the next 2 games, and for Tim to then turn it around. I don't think its impossible that will happen, but still unlikely. As things stand, he might as well go out all guns blazing and play our attacking players in the next couple of games.

However, two more defeats in the next couple of games, and I suspect by then we will be ready for a change of manager. Alot will also depend on results of the teams around us - as soon as we start to be cut further adrift, I think the trigger will be pulled. If for example, we lose to Chelsea and the teams above us win, then we will be 7 points adrift, and that is massive. I think the board will be concerned that leaving it one more week could then see us cut 10 points adrift, and that is incredibly daunting even at this stage of the season.

• Like 1

Still surprised by the general sentiment on here. I think this is partly because many of us gave the benefit of the doubt to Lambert for so long, and now we've had our fingers burnt we don't want it to happen again.

My view is still that I would love 4 points from the next 2 games, and for Tim to then turn it around. I don't think its impossible that will happen, but still unlikely. As things stand, he might as well go out all guns blazing and play our attacking players in the next couple of games.

I think we'd all like that.

But it's not going to happen.

However, two more defeats in the next couple of games, and I suspect by then we will be ready for a change of manager. Alot will also depend on results of the teams around us - as soon as we start to be cut further adrift, I think the trigger will be pulled. If for example, we lose to Chelsea and the teams above us win, then we will be 7 points adrift, and that is massive. I think the board will be concerned that leaving it one more week could then see us cut 10 points adrift, and that is incredibly daunting even at this stage of the season.

I don't think any sane person wants anything but 2 wins from the next 2. In which case he will have absolutely earned his stay of execution by proving everyone wrong to a degree.

If he wasn't such a gobby twaz and so openly clueless as to what to do, I'd be open to giving him more time too based on the job he did last season and the job I thought he did this summer (though he now denies any claim to that). There's no doubt in my mind that he's trying to cover his arse through the media also, it's embarrassingly transparent. Not for the club, but for him. It won't help him secure his next employment, let's put it that way.

I'm surprised you're surprised, basically.

• Like 4

Tim has all but told us there is no rhyme or reason to his strategy towards picking a team other than whether it happened to get a result and he'll chop and change until it happens to work. I don't want that level of 'expertise' at the club because it will only ever be a matter of time before he loses his magic formula again. It means every decision he makes, down to substitutions, is pure guesswork.

So irrespective of the next 2 or 5 or 10 results I want him gone.

That article should have been Manager on Monday, Job Hunt on Tuesday.

• Like 4

Â