The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

The common view last season was that Lambert was not getting the squad performing to its potential - most thought that we should be mid-table-ish

The common view in the summer was that this was a brilliant transfer window and that this was the best squad assembled for some time

Sherwood assured us that we would 'never be in trouble again'

I saw no-one in the summer predictiing that we would be in trouble

It is therefore somewhat revisionist to suggest that "even for an experienced manager this would be an uphill task"

Sherwood was a very bad appointment and has not got what it takes - the sooner we get rid the better

Then you haven't looked too closely, quite a few people in the predictions thread and others have suggested a 15th to 17th finish ( or even lower ). 

Maybe but the overwhelming view was that we would be comfortable

Of course it was.  It is every season.  Discussed already but, in recent years certainly, we overestimate where we should be.

As an aside, I'd be happy for Sherwood to go after lack-of-tactic quotes, but I really hate all the name calling.  It's pathetic stuff from our fan base.

• Like 3

16 players out (5 loan) and 13 to come in,

Was always going to require more luck than judgement to work in such a short space of time. 

An uphill task even for an experienced manager thats not worked out. Really is no need for some of the abuse.

It's a shame he was forced to shift all those players and sign all those new ones...

For the record i think we have a better squad now than then

Jury is still out on that one for me

As an aside, I'd be happy for Sherwood to go after lack-of-tactic quotes, but I really hate all the name calling.  It's pathetic stuff from our fan base.

Nonsense, burn the witch :) 

If Sherwood was to get sacked, we couldn't attract either of Moyes or Rodgers in to replace him, and the board stated they wanted someone British who has Premier League experience, who would you want us to go for? By the way, Fergie has retired and isn't coming out of it!

Reckon that Rodgers will want a break. We aren't attractive enough challenge for Him either probably. 

Moyes on the other hand might be interested in returning to the PL. even for us.

I'd take either. 

I know we probably aren't the most attractive job in the world at the moment, but what do think Rodgers would be holding out for? He isn't going to get a top 6 job anytime soon and below that everything is much of a muchness. 

You may be correct in that he might want a break, but if he wants to return to PL management I really don't think he is going to get many better offers in the short to medium term.

Reckon that Rodgers will want a break. We aren't attractive enough challenge for Him either probably. 

Moyes on the other hand might be interested in returning to the PL. even for us.

I'd take either. 

I know we probably aren't the most attractive job in the world at the moment, but what do think Rodgers would be holding out for? He isn't going to get a top 6 job anytime soon and below that everything is much of a muchness. 

You may be correct in that he might want a break, but if he wants to return to PL management I really don't think he is going to get many better offers in the short to medium term.

After working under the transfer comittee at Anfield I doubt he would be too keen to come to Villa, he would have had a good pay off and it it wont be long before a better job than Villa comes up

• Like 1

I'd take either. 

After working under the transfer comittee at Anfield I doubt he would be too keen to come to Villa, he would have had a good pay off and it it wont be long before a better job than Villa comes up

He would no doubt have a far greater say in transfers than Tim, in the same way Klopp will not doubt have more influence at Anfield. Rodgers is a far more experienced and respected coach than Tim, and his stock is still relativley high. So if we want him, he will be in a far greater negotiating position, let's face it Tim was probably just delighted he blagged the job in the first place. 

And though you may be correct with regard to him wanting a break, I'd still ask what do you think he would be holding out for? If we assume he isn't going to get a top 6 club what's left? Newcastle? Stoke? Baggies?

If we want him, I believe we will get him.

I don't think there will be many other bigger jobs coming along soon.  Newcastle are the next cab off the rank, but are a club in a worse state than us. Baggies are in much the same state as us, but smaller. City have got Pep pencilled in for next year.  Chelsea, possibly if Jose walks, but they wouldn't take Rodgers.  Everyone else looks pretty stable.  (oh - as av1 said)

And there's Ancelotti wanting a premier league job too.  Cheeky bid?

• Like 1

I'd take either. 

He would no doubt have a far greater say in transfers than Tim, in the same way Klopp will not doubt have more influence at Anfield. Rodgers is a far more experienced and respected coach than Tim, and his stock is still relativley high. So if we want him, he will be in a far greater negotiating position, let's face it Tim was probably just delighted he blagged the job in the first place. 

And though you may be correct with regard to him wanting a break, I'd still ask what do you think he would be holding out for? If we assume he isn't going to get a top 6 club what's left? Newcastle? Stoke? Baggies?

If we want him, I believe we will get him.

I think Rodgers may go abroad personally

I've been off for a week - am I right in thinking there is no reason to assume he will be sacked yet? i.e. the position is the same as it was after Stoke?

Pretty much. Newspaper reports have suggested he has been given 2 games to save his job after a meeting with the board. It is only paper talk at this point though.

I don't think there will be many other bigger jobs coming along soon.  Newcastle are the next cab off the rank, but are a club in a worse state than us. Baggies are in much the same state as us, but smaller. City have got Pep pencilled in for next year.  Chelsea, possibly if Jose walks, but they wouldn't take Rodgers.  Everyone else looks pretty stable.  (oh - as av1 said)

And there's Ancelotti wanting a premier league job too.  Cheeky bid?

It depends how cheeky the bid. It could be part of a double cheeky bid including Isco. :)

If you look at the current table and take out the Sky favourites and Swansea you are left with the below.

Crystal Palace
Leicester
West Ham
Southampton
Watford
Norwich
Stoke
Bournemouth
West Brom
Aston Villa
Newcastle

I would only rank Southampton as being a possible for Rodgers as the rest will never match his ego or like Newcastle are a poisoned challis. If he wants to manage a big club then its either us or Newcastle.

I'd take either. 

I Think he will go abroad or end up at a club like Southampton. He has money and time to kill now. Who knows? Sherwood might not even be in any pressure. Could be paper talk.

If you look at the current table and take out the Sky favourites and Swansea you are left with the below.

Crystal Palace
Leicester
West Ham
Southampton
Watford
Norwich
Stoke
Bournemouth
West Brom
Aston Villa
Newcastle

I would only rank Southampton as being a possible for Rodgers as the rest will never match his ego or like Newcastle are a poisoned challis. If he wants to manage a big club then its either us or Newcastle.

I would suggest that if Koeman leaves St Mary's it will be on his term, his job looks very sercure so you could probably take Southampton of that list as well. 

When you look at it like that, there really isn't many more appealing positions once you take the top 6 out. 

I'd take either. 

I Think he will go abroad or end up at a club like Southampton. He has money and time to kill now. Who knows? Sherwood might not even be in any pressure. Could be paper talk.

You may be right. He may want a break, he may want to try his luck abroad, but Managers need to stay relevant, especially after a sacking so I don't think he will want to be out to long.

My points were simply in response to the view that Rodgers wouldn't come here. Take out the top 6 and we would be up amongst the most sort after jobs in the PL. 

If we offered him the job I think he would take it.

We were almost powerless to stop the mass exodus of the finer players Benteke, Delph, Cleverley, Vlaar etc due to clauses/finance packages offered/implemented either by previous management or the hierarchy.

There is not a chance that Benteke or Delph would have signed extensions without a buy-out clause.  Cleverley was never going to sign for us.  I suspect that Vlaar would only have signed for a massive hike in wages / long contract which given his previous and subsequent injury problems it seemed the right decision.

I'm no fan of the current heirarchy but I'm not sure that they could/should have done anything different

Laying any blame on Lambert (for this) seems bizarre in the extreme

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 2

Â