Scott Sinclair

The_Rev

I wasn't gutted, for the 2.5m we paid, I thought that it was a very low risk gamble given how he'd been fairly decent during the loan period. I thought that he might come good (like back in his Swansea days) and all would be well. That was when he was 'gaining match fitness' but it turns out he's just not that great. Overall, if we sell him for 2m he must be one of the cheapest mistakes we've made. 500k... I think even Tonev cost £550k?

To claim he's the 'worst player ever' is massively over exaggerating how bad he is, and ignoring how bad some others have been.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bojong said:

He isnt great but are we really going to gain much by selling him, especially to a relegation rival? If the money automatically can be spent on a new player, and that money isn't otherwise available, the yes. But is that really the situation?

We gain less chance of an FFP fine in 12 or 18 months' time. Even leaving aside my personal dislike for Sinclair, we actually can't afford to have players who are barely getting into matchday squads on huge wages next year. 

We lose nothing, Swansea are barely even 'relegation rivals', they're like 15 points above us or something?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We gain less chance of an FFP fine in 12 or 18 months' time. Even leaving aside my personal dislike for Sinclair, we actually can't afford to have players who are barely getting into matchday squads on huge wages next year. 

We lose nothing, Swansea are barely even 'relegation rivals', they're like 15 points above us or something?

10. Swansea are 17th.

46 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We lose nothing, Swansea are barely even 'relegation rivals', 

How would we feel if we sold him for a couple of million, did nothing with that money in this window and ended the season a point below Swansea in 18th place with Scott having scored goals to keep them up? 

Swansea are one of the teams we might yet end the season above if we are to pull off an unlikely miracle and stay up. We are short of goals as it is and we may well need him in the games to come because we are not spoilt for choice up front without taking into account likely injuries/suspensions in what is left of this season. We would be crazy to sell him now and even more so to consider selling him to them.   

• Like 1

If we don't reinvest the money (which I don't think we will/are able to do) then I don't see the point of selling him. He's one of the players who we can probably keep hold of in the Championship and I think he'd do well there.

• Like 2

He is a decent finisher that much I'll give him but as a wide attacker he is useless.He doesn't cross he just looks to shoot , his link up play is non existent and rivals Gil in the ''who can get pushed off the ball the easiest '' contest.

12 minutes ago, John said:

How would we feel if we sold him for a couple of million, did nothing with that money in this window and ended the season a point below Swansea in 18th place with Scott having scored goals to keep them up? 

Swansea are one of the teams we might yet end the season above if we are to pull off an unlikely miracle and stay up. We are short of goals as it is and we may well need him in the games to come because we are not spoilt for choice up front without taking into account likely injuries/suspensions in what is left of this season. We would be crazy to sell him now and even more so to consider selling him to them.   

If we finish a point behind Swansea that would mean they have made a major collapse since signing Sinclair ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

If we don't reinvest the money (which I don't think we will/are able to do) then I don't see the point of selling him. He's one of the players who we can probably keep hold of in the Championship and I think he'd do well there.

Once again, we can't afford passengers who can barely get into matchday squads yet earn large wages. That's possible, to an extent, in the PL, but our income is going to take a massive hit this season. FFP rules actually matter in the Championship. Plenty of clubs - including recent Prem failures like Fulham and Blackburn - have received transfer embargoes. We need to get our house in order. I'd rather we were paying Sinclair's wages to someone Garde wants to select in the first XI every week next season, not a holdover he doesn't like now but that we've kept on the off-chance. 

1 hour ago, John said:

It's a completely common thing to do. Swansea sold Shelvey to Newcastle, that's a much tighter rivalry. 

Look, the reality is we're extremely likely to go down, and we need to prepare as such, rather than run the club as if we'll be in the Prem next year and then have to panic about our unsustainable financial situation in the summer. I know nobody wants to hear it, but there it is. We need to trim the fat; Scott Sinclair is unappetising fat in Garde's opinion, and I agree with him. You say 'wait until the summer', but what if nobody wants him in the summer? Swansea will have a much wider pool of players to choose from in July. We need to get rid of him, and they supposedly want him now, so that's when we should do the deal. 

• Like 3

Easily one of the worst in the past decade (stiff competition there though). Up there with Richardson and Tonev. I used to like him at Swansea and was excited to see if he could recapture that form, but he's just become this meek, ineffective, powderpuff nothing of a player since his move to City.

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, de don't have any relegation rivals at the moment....

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

If we finish a point behind Swansea that would mean they have made a major collapse since signing Sinclair ;)

But still they would be safe and we would be playing in the championship and thats all that matters

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Once again, we can't afford passengers who can barely get into matchday squads yet earn large wages. That's possible, to an extent, in the PL, but our income is going to take a massive hit this season. FFP rules actually matter in the Championship. Plenty of clubs - including recent Prem failures like Fulham and Blackburn - have received transfer embargoes. We need to get our house in order. I'd rather we were paying Sinclair's wages to someone Garde wants to select in the first XI every week next season, not a holdover he doesn't like now but that we've kept on the off-chance. 

It's a completely common thing to do. Swansea sold Shelvey to Newcastle, that's a much tighter rivalry. 

Look, the reality is we're extremely likely to go down, and we need to prepare as such, rather than run the club as if we'll be in the Prem next year and then have to panic about our unsustainable financial situation in the summer. I know nobody wants to hear it, but there it is. We need to trim the fat; Scott Sinclair is unappetising fat in Garde's opinion, and I agree with him. You say 'wait until the summer', but what if nobody wants him in the summer? Swansea will have a much wider pool of players to choose from in July. We need to get rid of him, and they supposedly want him now, so that's when we should do the deal. 

I appreciate the points you are making but there will be plenty of vultures around in the next window looking to take players off us for peanuts if we do go down. Players who now play in the first team may well go then and should that be the case we may need what is left of the squad to try to get us back up. I really do not want to make our squad any weaker than it already is given there seems little hope that we will bring in players during this window. I see it like Steve Bruce said recently about the prospect of selling Huddlestone to Derby, "Am I really going to sell Tom Huddlestone to Derby, our biggest competitor at this particular time? There is no chance". We may well go down but I am not ready to sell the team yet to make sure it happens unless our manager rather than the bean counters at our club want to do so.    

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

**** hell this place is weird. He's certainly not great (or even decent for that matter) and I won't exactly be devastated to see him leave but the comments about how he's one of the worst Villa players ever are just absurd.

It seems to be the trend on VT at the moment. if you don't like a player you call them the worst player evaaarrrrrr.

Scott isn't even the worst player in his position in the current squad.

• Like 4

Â