Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Instant Coffee I don't usually drink. But I bought this a few months ago for guests and it's not bad to be honest.

Nescafe%20Azera%20Intenso%20Instant%20Co

I think this is the one @limpid was referencing the other day, the one that advertises that it actually has coffee in it.

One of the guys here drinks it and it does have a good punchy coffee aroma, I'll be fair. If it tastes like it smells then it's grand.

On the news yesterday evening, a piece about the struggles of Twitter.

A big company but struggling to maintain the stratospheric growth that disguises another flawed business model. Now I understand that story, and I understand some people do or don't like or use social media. Each to their own. But the reason cited for twitter stalling and the reason shown on the vox pops they did was that twitter was too difficult to work out, too complicated, not quick enough or accessible enough.

What?

I'm no social media guru and I'm no i.t. expert, but I'm not sure how it could be simpler?

See food in restaurant. Take smart phone from pocket. Take photo of food. Phone prompts 'post to twitter', you tap 'yes'.

Sat on toilet. Take phone from pocket. Tap twitter icon, type 'I am having a poo'. Tap 'post'.

People might not want to do that, but I can't believe the twitter process is 'too difficult'.

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think this is the one @limpid was referencing the other day, the one that advertises that it actually has coffee in it.

One of the guys here drinks it and it does have a good punchy coffee aroma, I'll be fair. If it tastes like it smells then it's grand.

It tastes better than most instant coffees I've had, which granted isn't many, but like I said I'm no coffee expert. My Dad used to drink bog standard Nescafe instant and it was horrible. This stuff is 100 times better than that.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Having put some miles on the clock up and down the motorways, I've got to the sad point now where I know to drive past some services because the coffee in the next one is better, even though they might both be Costa.

Newbury used to be an excellent coffee, but it's straight past and on to Reading these days. Much better.

Yep, it's all down to the calibration of the espresso machine. The grind, the dose, the pre-infuse, the pressure limiter and temperature control. Get someone who can't be bothered because they think it all just tastes the same and you get crap coffee.

The freshness of the beans is important, but chains have an advantage here as they burn through stock quickly.

The mix of beans affects the taste (obviously), but that is largely a matter of personal preference. I prefer the flavour of Arabica beans, but I don't mind the presence of Robusta in the mix. The chains tend to use mainly Robusta for their regular blends as it's cheap, but most offer speciality coffees (Costa's Old Paradise Street No 11 is an amazing single bean coffee).

I don't think it's about snobbery, I just think there's some food and drink that are worth spending a bit more money on.

For example, I find you can go cheap on crisps, chocolate and pop, but you have to fork out for coffee, cereals and biscuits.

#paddywhackstips

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It's pretty good for what it is, which is a step above instant coffee. Worth trying if that's enough for you when it comes to coffee.

On 5/23/2016 at 13:27, PieFacE said:

Watches.

Or, the fascination to have a nice watch. I went into the "Watches" thread on this forum and people were talking about how nice some of them looked....

It looked like a... watch. I don' get it....

This might explain..

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

On the news yesterday evening, a piece about the struggles of Twitter.

A big company but struggling to maintain the stratospheric growth that disguises another flawed business model. Now I understand that story, and I understand some people do or don't like or use social media. Each to their own. But the reason cited for twitter stalling and the reason shown on the vox pops they did was that twitter was too difficult to work out, too complicated, not quick enough or accessible enough.

What?

I'm no social media guru and I'm no i.t. expert, but I'm not sure how it could be simpler?

See food in restaurant. Take smart phone from pocket. Take photo of food. Phone prompts 'post to twitter', you tap 'yes'.

Sat on toilet. Take phone from pocket. Tap twitter icon, type 'I am having a poo'. Tap 'post'.

People might not want to do that, but I can't believe the twitter process is 'too difficult'.

I am not so sure, I signed up many years ago so it may have changed but I couldn't figure out what the **** was going on, where to find replies, who was replying to who. It was quite possibly the ugliest shit storm I have ever seen. Haven't been back since.

It probably is easy to post a status or what have you but having a discussion, or anything worthwhile I just couldn't work out how that was taking place.

Quite possibly the shittest website out there.

Literally minutes ago, someone sent me a picture, three of us had a conversation about it, I bumped it to another person and they've joined in the chit chat.

Last night I had a three way with my local councillor and a reporter from the BBC. Couldn't have been simpler. (You dirty minded bugger)

Perhaps I'm missing something and looking at it on the wrong level of consciousness, couldn't be simpler.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It tastes better than most instant coffees I've had, which granted isn't many, but like I said I'm no coffee expert. My Dad used to drink bog standard Nescafe instant and it was horrible. This stuff is 100 times better than that.

Yeah I bought some of that Azera the other week as it was on offer in Sainsburys, it tastes pretty good though I prefer the Americano version to the Intenso (I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, mind).  What I don't get is that you can buy it ready in cups like you get if you take away from Costa, and you just add water to it.  Why would you make a coffee at home, then leave and walk around with it?  I'd feel like a right clearing in the woods.

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Beards........ Just WHY? 

You can't be a hipster without one ....until the chief hipsters decide beards are out of course 

• Like 1

Â