Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

53 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

If I won the lottery I'd rather have a nice ridiculously expensive watch (and a huge cellar full of lovely wine) than a sports car or anything like that.  I don't get blokes wearing other jewellery though, especially those massive ear ring things that make massive holes in your ear. 

I love not wearing a watch 

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

"If I won the lottery" is probably worth its own thread. 

I buy the occasional lottery ticket..I know I won't win, but spending a dollar on a dream is totally worth it to me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Xela said:

Nice watch and a Porsche 911. That'll do me.

I'd be playing Dire Straits full blast on it! 

So you'd become my dad?

I'm not even kidding. He has some nice watches, recently got a 911 and loves Dire Straits amongst other 'Yacht Rock'.

Papa?

14 hours ago, maqroll said:

Knopfler... Arguably the best British rock guitarist of all time. 

Are you looking for an elitist punch on the nose? :) 

At least you didn't say Johnny Marr. That's a smug kick in the bollocks.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

David Gilmour for the win.

Yeah, he's really good too. But Knopfler just pips it for me. 

Xann, drop some elitism on me, who's the best?

I really don't get people's obsession with "proper coffee" I was going to put something about this in the things that piss you off thread but it's as good here.  I am quite happy with a cup of instant coffee which costs next to nothing. It is beyond me why or even how people afford to buy all this "real" coffee that costs a shitload of money 

When I was a youth years before Starbucks,  Costa etc I did actually used to go to a coffee shop in martineau square called the cardoma coffee shop before we could use pubs. The coffee there was not remotely expensive. The current coffee trend is just that a fashion thing so they can charge more. 

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't get blokes wearing other jewellery though, especially those massive ear ring things that make massive holes in your ear. 

Absolutely this. Why anyone would want to mutilate themselves is beyond me. I guarantee that years down the line most of these people will seriously regret it. 

Mind you I also don't understand why people have tattoos. I do think it's going to be really funny though in about 50 years time when there are thousands of old ladies with tats accross the top of their panty line which will now be drooping somewhere around their knees

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Xann, drop some elitism on me, who's the best?

I'd give it to Page, despite the plagiarism.

He's not my favourite, and there are strong arguments for the likes of Gilmore, Iommi, Blackmore, Richards etc etc

Page however, was amongst the most desirable of session players. When session players were brilliant.

He's got an unsung catalogue behind him as well as the monstrous Led Zepp.

Always liked Rory Gallagher's playing style. As for more contemporary players, maybe someone like Jonny Greenwood as I find him quite innovative.

Edited by Designer1
Spelling
  • Like 1

(a) There is no 'best' guitarist. Just ones you like, and ones you don't.

(b) Instant 'coffee' is foul shite, and I will not drink it. Decent ground coffee from a filter machine for me, every time. 

• Like 2

On 22/05/2016 at 13:59, chrisp65 said:

There's a street that's part of my commute that is a bit of a run down secondary shopping street. It's got some sort of Greggs seconds shop, I'm not sure what that's about? i haven't been in there so I'm guessing it's bread close to it's sell by and wonky cakes? Anyway, that's not the point. The vast mjority of this street is charity shops and betting shops. Every betting chop known to man is represented.

You drive down the street and it's basically British Heart Foundation, Bet Fred, PDSA, Paddy Power. Greggs, William Hill, Marie Curie, Ladbrookes, Wetherspoon, Coral.....

It's the street I've mentioned before, where at 7:45am there's a crowd of men in mismatched leisurewear gathering outside 'Spoons.

I believe the technical term amongst urban planners for this sort of area is shit hole.

Sounds like my high street to be fair. Though we can only dream of having a Paddy Power.

Fancy!

17 hours ago, mjmooney said:

(b) Instant 'coffee' is foul shite, and I will not drink it. Decent ground coffee from a filter machine for me, every time. 

I thought you were a tea drinker anyway ?

19 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I hate these "I'm a better coffee drinker than you" type of arguments :D

37 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I hate these "I'm a better coffee drinker than you" type of arguments :D

Instant coffee is coffee flavoured. It isn't coffee. One of them was advertising a few months back that it now contained actual coffee beans which should tell you all you need to know.

Judging by what most people order in the big chains, they don't like coffee either.

22 hours ago, sidcow said:

I really don't get people's obsession with "proper coffee" I was going to put something about this in the things that piss you off thread but it's as good here.  I am quite happy with a cup of instant coffee which costs next to nothing. It is beyond me why or even how people afford to buy all this "real" coffee that costs a shitload of money 

When I was a youth years before Starbucks,  Costa etc I did actually used to go to a coffee shop in martineau square called the cardoma coffee shop before we could use pubs. The coffee there was not remotely expensive. The current coffee trend is just that a fashion thing so they can charge more. 

I have started drinking coffee every day the last couple of years and i do enjoy it. Instant coffee does now taste awful to me. 

Having said that, i do think it's a complete rip off and people are just taken in by the 'brand' snobbery. Greggs coffee is as good as any imo, & it's half the price of costa etc. 

I used to work with a right tool who admitted to being a coffee snob. I think that meant he just liked paying more than me for it

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought you were a tea drinker anyway ?

I like both tea and coffee. If I could only have one, it would be tea, but I'd miss the coffee.

Â