Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

We had friends that were wine snobs. But they always wanted to know the price of the wine and have a look at the label before they decided if it tasted nice.

They split up, we didn't stay in contact with either of them. They had turned us in to inverted wine snobs, we'd spend way too much time looking for a bottle that cost a fiver, had a screw cap and had a funny picture on the label, like an elephant or donkey or a foot or something.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Who drinks alcohol for the taste? There's no alcoholic drink I'd drink if it wasn't alcoholic.

I suppose you also don't care about the taste of food? After all, it's just fuel. Why choose what music you listen to? Just a load of sounds, anything will do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I suppose you also don't care about the taste of food? After all, it's just fuel. Why choose what music you listen to? Just a load of sounds, anything will do.

No, most food tastes nice, alcoholic drinks don't, that's my point.

47 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Non-alcoholic lager would be a lot more popular if true.

It's an interesting point worthy of dispassionate discussion (if possible...).  I do like the taste of plenty of alcoholic drinks but it's hard to argue the fact that if people were as mad about the flavour of; we'll take lager as our example; as they proclaim to be then they should surely be drinking non-alcoholic varieties of lager instead of soft drinks all the time as their preferred thirst quencher.  Obviously not in place of things like water, tea or coffee, but certainly soft drinks.  Yet by and large they don't.  Cost might be a factor.  Image is another.  Both in terms of not wanting to be seen drinking a(ny) beer all the time, or the other way around to be seen drinking an NA beer.  That brings me to the point that alcohol within society is a more complicated issue than simply taste.

• Like 1

I only drink alcohol that I like the taste of.

8 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

No, most food tastes nice, alcoholic drinks don't, that's my point.

Surely, among the hundreds of different beers/wines etc on sale there must be something that you like the taste of and gets you drunk?

The smooth warming sensation of a decent whisky or rum truly is one of life's pleasures. I don't know of a n/a equivalent.

I drink alcohol fairly rarely, a single bottle of beer once every few weeks, or a short when the mood takes me. When I do, I like to try something with a decent and interesting taste. Brains Black before some chilled down can of Guiness. A neat small glass of Penderyn before a tumbler of bells and coke.

But nine times out of ten, more than happy to stick to soft drinks. Just so much more convenient to know I can still drive and I haven't done my liver in with 2 drinks a night every night.

Having just rambled through all of that, I'm going to a sort of folk gig in a week's time (Friday), I'll have 1 or 2 poncey ales or shorts. But I'm also going to a country/techno gig (Thursday) and will probably get off my tits on lager.

Horses for courses. 

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

I only drink alcohol that I like the taste of.

Surely, among the hundreds of different beers/wines etc on sale there must be something that you like the taste of and gets you drunk?

Not really. I mean, I don't dislike the taste of drink, but taste is far from reason I drink them.

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The smooth warming sensation of a decent whisky or rum truly is one of life's pleasures. I don't know of a n/a equivalent.

So genuine question then, if alcohol was banned but you could get non alcoholic whisky or rum and it tasted exactly the same, would you still drink it?

Perhaps some people would, I guess. I don't know, that's probably my point, I think I'd just become ribena drinker. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Exhibit B of beer snobbery.

Yep, it definitely exists and that's a particularly ignorant example because the notion that something like Hophouse 13 tastes anything like Budweiser is total and utter nonsense.  There are very flavoursome lagers.  It's also an example of arrogance.  As if the only reason I'm not drinking your ale is because I like flavourless stuff, rather than the possibility that your stuff tastes like it has already been through someone else's digestive system twice.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

Yep, it definitely exists and that's a particularly ignorant example because the notion that something like Hophouse 13 tastes anything like Budweiser is total and utter nonsense.  There are very flavoursome lagers.  It's also an example of arrogance.  As if the only reason I'm not drinking your ale is because I like flavourless stuff, rather than the possibility that your stuff tastes like it has already been through someone else's digestive system twice.

Exactly.

I'm not afraid I might taste something. I love tasting beers.

But when I taste Hobgoblin it tastes like shite.

14 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

So genuine question then, if alcohol was banned but you could get non alcoholic whisky or rum and it tasted exactly the same, would you still drink it?

Perhaps some people would, I guess. I don't know, that's probably my point, I think I'd just become ribena drinker. 

If, for example, there was a really good whisky available as either alcoholic or non-alcohol, that was proven to be identical in every way in a blind taste test: I'd probably stick with the alcohol free version. I'm not using it to get drunk or dull my faculties. But I genuinely don't know of any such drink.

On a Sunday lunchtime we would usually have a nice glass of some sparkling soft drink with elderflower or apple or cranberry or some such. It's just as pleasant as 'plonk'.

The problem, to me, with the likes of Kaliber alcohol free lager is that it is attempting to taste like a drink that is not great in the first place. Cheap cold lager is essentially a mass market product to get drunk with. I don't think Carling or Harp or Fosters taste very good. They are ice cold for a reason. So alcohol free lager is an attempt to mimic these tastes and take the alcohol out of the delivery system for getting pissed. Which is a bit self defeating. That's common sense science fact law.

• Like 1

I'd never drink spirits straight if they weren't alcoholic. I like some enough to tolerate them straight, but I don't really enjoy any of them.

I would drink them with mixers though. A rum and coke, made with a nice rum, is delicious.

I think with higher alcohol-content drinks like whiskey you can't simulate the texture, taste etc with a non-alcoholic equivalent.  Simply because at that point almost half of the thing IS alcohol.  So the whole thing, the whole experience, yes including the effect, is inextricably linked with the alcohol.  It's different than going from something that is ordinarily 4.3% down to 0.4%.

Pretty much covered in the last few posts, but much of the tastiness is tied up with the alcohol. The alcohol-free beers are invariably bland at best, foul at worst. But I never said I drink ale (or spirits or wine, for that matter) ONLY for the taste. The relaxation of slight drunkenness is nice, of course it is. But that's not enough in itself. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Budweiser is a perfectly good lager, and not 'flavourless' at all. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Budweiser is a perfectly good lager. 

You inferred something that wasn't said.  The point was it tastes completely different to Hophouse and both are lagers.

Â