Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

That's basically Erdington High Street minus the "pickled everything" shops that have sprung up over the last few years . I'm pretty sure I saw a pickled newspaper in one the other day . 

53 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

That's basically Erdington High Street minus the "pickled everything" shops that have sprung up over the last few years . I'm pretty sure I saw a pickled newspaper in one the other day . 

Boulevard of Broken dreams

Even Mere Green has a Poundland! 

Like people have said, most high streets are depressing places nowadays

6 hours ago, Xela said:

What a horribly sad situation. 

Luckily i've never seen the appeal of gambling, apart from the occasional flutter on the nags, and that is only a few quid at a time. 

It was horrible, they wanted them banned but still couldn't resist the temptation to go and blow everything they had.

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Why Dire Straits are widely ridiculed in the UK (by people who remember them). Those guys were some good players. 

They were pretty much the type of band Clarkson and Partridge would call edgy rock. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

They were pretty much the type of band Clarkson and Partridge would call edgy rock. 

But they weren't "edgy". They never were. But things started getting very glossy and commercialized (Sorry Tony) with the Brothers in Arms album, which was their chart topping triumph and made sure Knopfler never had to worry about anything financially. Which is probably why he quit the band pretty much right after their touring windfall. He was never a real pop star, and I like that about him. But the dude is a giant on the guitar. Arguably the best British rock guitarist of all time. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

There's a street that's part of my commute that is a bit of a run down secondary shopping street. It's got some sort of Greggs seconds shop, I'm not sure what that's about? i haven't been in there so I'm guessing it's bread close to it's sell by and wonky cakes? Anyway, that's not the point. The vast mjority of this street is charity shops and betting shops. Every betting chop known to man is represented.

You drive down the street and it's basically British Heart Foundation, Bet Fred, PDSA, Paddy Power. Greggs, William Hill, Marie Curie, Ladbrookes, Wetherspoon, Coral.....

It's the street I've mentioned before, where at 7:45am there's a crowd of men in mismatched leisurewear gathering outside 'Spoons.

I believe the technical term amongst urban planners for this sort of area is shit hole.

LOL, great post. There are some very dodgy ares near where I live that fit that description.

It's such a difficult subject to have any sort of sensible conversation about, which bands were the best and which were cool and all that. It's just so utterly down to a magic mix of personal preference and who got themselves the right publicity at the right time.

If it was down to technical proficiency, my missus would have been right in her thinking that these guys were about the best:

But clearly that level of competence was no match for the totally superior Dr Feelgood and their singer that couldn't sing and guitarist that learnt by trying to copy, but failing and accidentally inventing his own sound....

So, yeah, Dire Straights, not my cup of tea, but I'm sure a great bunch of lads.

Dire Straits were totally cool at the Sultans of Swing stage but then gradually morphed into a parody of themselves as they became more and more commercial.

By the time Money For Nothing had been played a million times on MTV, they had become as uncool as their mainstream middle-aged AOR fans.

Brothers in Arms was to Dire Straits what Dark Side of the Moon was to Pink Floyd, Rumours was to Fleetwood Mac, and so on. The point where they lost their underground cred and were adopted by the middle class mainstream. 

But Knopfler's all right. Great player, decent singer/songwriter and producer. He used to regularly rock up at the Leeds pub where he started out, and do impromptu gigs. 

And in a Pete Frame style rock family tree, he's only one branch away from me: I was in a local blues band, but got replaced (quite rightly) by the more talented Brendan Croker - who was later in The Notting Hillbillies with Knopfler. 

Edited by mjmooney

Watches.

Or, the fascination to have a nice watch. I went into the "Watches" thread on this forum and people were talking about how nice some of them looked....

It looked like a... watch. I don' get it....

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Watches.

Or, the fascination to have a nice watch. I went into the "Watches" thread on this forum and people were talking about how nice some of them looked....

It looked like a... watch. I don' get it....

I'm a bit like that with motorbikes, and that's as a bit of a petrolhead.  Oh look, it looks like a motorbike.  And so does that one!

• Like 2

Yep, if I'm not interested then I'm not interested.

Motorbikes is a good call. I saw a yellow one recently that looked quite nice. After that, I have no detail I can give you.

Similarly, if the kids stick a superhero film on the TV then I usually have no idea whether I've sat there on 3 previous occasions whilst they've watched it, or whether it's brand new. It'll just be moody blokes running around in capes with random stupid powers they use inconsistently. 

But then, gravestone architecture and symbolism in 18th century churchyards in Kent, ooh I'm all over that.  

11196462936_ff8315c30c.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, maqroll said:

But they weren't "edgy". They never were. But things started getting very glossy and commercialized (Sorry Tony) with the Brothers in Arms album, which was their chart topping triumph and made sure Knopfler never had to worry about anything financially. Which is probably why he quit the band pretty much right after their touring windfall. He was never a real pop star, and I like that about him. But the dude is a giant on the guitar. Arguably the best British rock guitarist of all time. 

Maybe Second behind Adamson .... I did see some documentary on Knopfler where he met this custom guitar marker and played a bit ... Came across as a decent bloke and yep he could certainly play

tbh though it's always going to be subjective where people confuse flashness with technical ability or popularity over substance 

oh and and of course have an instant dislike for the incorrect use of a z :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

If I won the lottery I'd rather have a nice ridiculously expensive watch (and a huge cellar full of lovely wine) than a sports car or anything like that.  I don't get blokes wearing other jewellery though, especially those massive ear ring things that make massive holes in your ear. 

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

If I won the lottery I'd rather have a nice ridiculously expensive watch (and a huge cellar full of lovely wine) than a sports car or anything like that.  I don't get blokes wearing other jewellery though, especially those massive ear ring things that make massive holes in your ear. 

Nice watch and a Porsche 911. That'll do me.

I'd be playing Dire Straits full blast on it! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

"If I won the lottery" is probably worth its own thread. 

Indeed, thought about that myself before, but you know, apathy! Plus I'm a follower not a leader ;)

Â