Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't get why coffee has taken over this thread

I'm going to suggest that it's a "thing" that some people "don't get". By it's very nature they'll be some things in this thread that a poster has no opinion on. We don't have a thread for "things you don't get except coffee" or "things everyone doesn't get". The latter would be really dull.

I'm a latte to this topic, but here's the results of a recent in depth survey

CjnTle6XIAAtiqB.jpg

the keen eyed among you will spot I've just finished the Waitrose instant, but fear not, I'm off to the shops

(that is not my skateboard, I borrowed it from a yoot)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I'm going to suggest that it's a "thing" that some people "don't get". By it's very nature they'll be some things in this thread that a poster has no opinion on. We don't have a thread for "things you don't get except coffee" or "things everyone doesn't get". The latter would be really dull.

It was only meant as a tongue in cheek comment and not without a small hint of irony as I started it with a post about not getting proper coffee 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't get why everyone has now started calling real ale "craft beer" 

Is 'craft beer' more of an americanism?

Although looking on the t'interweb there are differences between them

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't get why everyone has now started calling real ale "craft beer" 

I tend to think of real ale being draught, and craft beer being bottled.

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I tend to think of real ale being draught, and craft beer being bottled.

An extension to that, I tend to think of craft beer as more microbrewery fare, less mass produced industrial scale produce. Which of course ties into it unlikely to be available on draught...

Although saying that I once had a straight pint of Sam Adams which was described as a craft beer... Coincidentally also one of the worst pints I've ever had. Tasted like they'd brewed it in the trap one of the gents whilst still in use.

• Like 2

An extension to that, I tend to think of craft beer as more microbrewery fare, less mass produced industrial scale produce. Which of course ties into it unlikely to be available on draught...

Although saying that I once had a straight pint of Sam Adams which was described as a craft beer... Coincidentally also one of the worst pints I've ever had. Tasted like they'd brewed it in the trap one of the gents whilst still in use.

Craft beer by definition is a microbrewery beer, or at least not mass produced. It's the one key criteria for something being a craft beer. Which makes it fun to see the big boys trying to market their new stuff as craft when in reality they're precluded from making it simply because of their size. Doesn't stop them hoovering up the smaller brewers to get in on the act, and as has already been demonstrated in here, the public forgetting or diluting the term 'craft' so that the big boys can take it for themselves aswell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've had lots of draught ale from microbreweries. Often where the brewing is done on the pub premises, but also sent out to other freehouse pubs. I'll be having some later this evening in our local, in fact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Not the best production but not a play I would think has much blokish appeal, I would have thought.

Or any appeal, as far as I can see.  What's worse is that I've got to go watch an amateur dramatics version of it in a month or two as well.

Â