Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

34 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Shakespeare.  I'm having to sit through Midsummer Night's Dream on the BBC and it's a load of shite.

I was reading the other day about some women performing The Tempest in the nip in Central Park, that seemed like very highbrow entertainment. 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, literally 'craft' must be the opposite of 'mass produced'. 

I had a can of Golden Hen by Moreland which is described as craft beer. As its sold in sainsburys I am guessing that is is mass produced 

I went to see Hamlet at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford.

Was very difficult in the 1st act to keep up with what was being said (great actors made it easier with their movements/inflections), but it all seemed to click in the 2nd act, and was much easier to follow.

It was a mostly black cast and the whole play was transformed into a modernist militia vibe - was great!

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Shakespeare.  I'm having to sit through Midsummer Night's Dream on the BBC and it's a load of shite.

Yeah it wasn't my thing either, but I think that might be true of all Shakespeare's "comedies", midsummer in particular. Way too whimsical.

The hollow crown adaptations of the shakespeare histories have been pretty good. 

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

It was a mostly black cast and the whole play was transformed into a modernist militia vibe - was great!

Seen 'Romeo and Juliet' in the style of 'Miami Vice' at the RSC.

Just found the cast.

Sean Bean was Romeo. Jesus. Don't remember that at all. Actually the most memorable thing was a bar with a nice terrace.

Edited by Xann

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

I had a can of Golden Hen by Moreland which is described as craft beer. As its sold in sainsburys I am guessing that is is mass produced 

Morland is a branch of Greene King which suggests that it is mass-produced and not a craft beer at all. 

13 hours ago, BOF said:

Craft beer by definition is a microbrewery beer, or at least not mass produced. It's the one key criteria for something being a craft beer. Which makes it fun to see the big boys trying to market their new stuff as craft when in reality they're precluded from making it simply because of their size. Doesn't stop them hoovering up the smaller brewers to get in on the act, and as has already been demonstrated in here, the public forgetting or diluting the term 'craft' so that the big boys can take it for themselves aswell.

I go on brewery tours and to be fair a number of them have set up facilities for producing small batches of seasonal or other ales within their buildings. It's not just a case of calling something mass produced "craft" when it isn't. It is genuinely made in essentially a micro brewery inside a larger brewery.

On 31/05/2016 at 08:14, blandy said:

I go on brewery tours and to be fair a number of them have set up facilities for producing small batches of seasonal or other ales within their buildings. It's not just a case of calling something mass produced "craft" when it isn't. It is genuinely made in essentially a micro brewery inside a larger brewery.

Just seems like a cynical and fairly transparent attempt at muscling in on a market they can't get into by rights.

We're big. Yay we make loadsa of money.

We're small, but we're cool so we've started making a lot of money too.

Ehh, we ... we're actually small too, please buy us.

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

Just seems like a cynical and fairly transparent attempt at muscling in on a market they can't get into by rights.

We're big. Yay we make loadsa of money.

We're small, but we're cool so we've started making a lot of money too.

Ehh, we ... we're actually small too, please buy us.

Possibly, yeah. Sometimes on the tours it's the actual brewer doing the talking and they are genuinely enthusiastic about their side lines and projects. Oh and mostly the breweries are not big massive companies anyway. Thwaites was the biggest one and they were dead keen on their micro brewery.

Carrying on the beer topic I seriously can't understand why people drink sh;t mass produced beer

I remember being in a lovely country pub in Cornwall a few years ago marvelling at the range of interesting ales on offer and plumping for something when the guy next to me orders a pint of tetley smooth pour 

If he wanted Carling or something I could at least understand he is a lager drinker and knows no better but if you stand up in public and announce you are a bitter drinker why have that Rubbish? 

It's like saying I am a lover of serious quality music now play me more of that Stock Aitken and Waterman. 

I love beautiful cars so I drive this 1985 Skoda 

WHY would you ever drink Tetley or John Smiths. And I double dare you ANYTHING smooth pour which is advertising over substance any day of the week month or decade

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Carrying on the beer topic I seriously can't understand why people drink sh;t mass produced beer

I remember being in a lovely country pub in Cornwall a few years ago marvelling at the range of interesting ales on offer and plumping for something when the guy next to me orders a pint of tetley smooth pour 

If he wanted Carling or something I could at least understand he is a lager drinker and knows no better but if you stand up in public and announce you are a bitter drinker why have that Rubbish? 

It's like saying I am a lover of serious quality music now play me more of that Stock Aitken and Waterman. 

I love beautiful cars so I drive this 1985 Skoda 

WHY would you ever drink Tetley or John Smiths. And I double dare you ANYTHING smooth pour which is advertising over substance any day of the week month or decade

Well, yeah. This. 

Who drinks alcohol for the taste? There's no alcoholic drink I'd drink if it wasn't alcoholic.

Other people have told me they would but I don't believe them, they're all ruddy liars. Non-alcoholic lager would be a lot more popular if true.

I drink beer for the taste. 

I have to be in the mood, but a nice, cold Lager is delicious.

Non Alcoholic beer is very popular in other countries. Spain for example.

When I'm drinking to get drunk, which isn't that often anymore, I usually steer away from beers because they're too gassy.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I drink beer for the taste. 

I have to be in the mood, but a nice, cold Lager is delicious.

Non Alcoholic beer is very popular in other countries. Spain for example.

When I'm drinking to get drunk, which isn't that often anymore, I usually steer away from beers because they're too gassy.

Hang on you said you drink beer for taste but then say lager is nicer than most ales............. Does not compute........ Error..... Error....... Error.... 

17 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

No, I don't believe you. ;)

And going to the pub, discussing and tasting different beers, don't get it. It's like going to the cinema and focusing on your popcorn throughout the film.

No its Ike going to the cinema and focusing on the film throughout the film. . Your getting beer confused with pork scratchings

In your comparison you are also watching the same film over and over and over again too.!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

No its Ike going to the cinema and focusing on the film throughout the film. . Your getting beer confused with pork scratchings

In your comparison you are also watching the same film over and over and over again too.!

Nah, in my analogy the film is going to the pub, getting pissed and having a laugh with your mates. The fact the popcorn tastes the same as last week isn't really a concern.

When somebody asks me if I fancy going for a few beers, I never reply 'yeah I love beers'.

(then again, nobody has ever asked me to go out for some popcorn. Hmm, hang on, let me rethink this..)

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hang on you said you drink beer for taste but then say lager is nicer than most ales............. Does not compute........ Error..... Error....... Error.... 

Exhibit A of beer snobbery ;)

Some people prefer Lager.

I like some Ales, but I'd say about 95% of them are crap, especially when it's not draught.

Â