Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

47 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Having said that, i do think it's a complete rip off and people are just taken in by the 'brand' snobbery. Greggs coffee is as good as any imo, & it's half the price of costa etc. 

Greggs often recalibrate the espresso machines more than once a day. Pretty much guarantees a good cup.

• Like 2

McDonalds coffee is actually very good and cheap too.

Starbucks and Costa prices are extortionate.

There's a Starbucks drive through opening near me at Hopwood services, which will no  doubt see me a much poorer man.

Edited by Ryan.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Greggs coffee and a sausage, cheese and bean melt for £2. What's not to love?

The Greggs coffee?

bona fide coffee snob here. Costa, Starbucks, Pret, Nero are acceptable in lieu of anything else but I agree they aren't much better than a McD's or other cheaper places. But, If you can't tell the difference between Starbucks/Costa and a 'proper', freshly roasted, single origin coffee from the independent places then I'm not sure you've actually had one.

edit: I should explain that high street chain coffee shops use lower quality beans that are also over-roasted and far more bitter with less flavour. Getting the best flavour out of coffee is quite a scientific process, specific heat, time, pressure and grind size all make a difference. The 'baristas' in these places are more educated on the process and take more pride in what they're producing - chains want you in and out as fast as possible.

It really is chalk and cheese in terms of the flavour, and then you're also not giving your money to a huge corporation. I also drink instant shit at work, so it's not because I couldn't possibly drink anything else. It's just far far better.

Edited by a m ole

I don't know why anyone would buy a decent coffee and then ruin it by adding some form of milk, black or espresso ftw. Id rather ruin my teeth:D 

• Like 1

I like Costa.

But the "Costa" we have at work is diabolical. I still buy coffee from there, because I'm a moron. But it's really terrible.

I'm no coffee expert, but it tastes like shit compared to the costa you'd get on the high street.

James Corden. This guy is the anti-thesis to funny but people lose their mind over him. Just sensationalist celebrity muck. Really does appeal to those lacking critical faculties.

• Like 2

Having put some miles on the clock up and down the motorways, I've got to the sad point now where I know to drive past some services because the coffee in the next one is better, even though they might both be Costa.

Newbury used to be an excellent coffee, but it's straight past and on to Reading these days. Much better.

9 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

James Corden. This guy is the anti-thesis to funny but people lose their mind over him. Just sensationalist celebrity muck. Really does appeal to those lacking critical faculties.

I actually really like James Corden. I seem to be the only person on the planet who does as everyone I meet or talk to about it seems to hate him.

• Like 2

I actually really like James Corden. I seem to be the only person on the planet who does as everyone I meet or talk to about it seems to hate him.

I hated him circa 2010 where you couldn't put the TV on without his mug flashing up. He seemed to hijack football too, he seemed to get on everything football related around the time of the World Cup.

America have him now so he doesn't really bother me.

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Greggs coffee and a sausage, cheese and bean melt for £2. What's not to love?

Cancer of the colon, cardiac arrest, taste bud damage, the impending sense of dread that any one or all of these things will occur ...

I drink whatever coffee is in the kitchen at work  , with whatever milk I can find and often with the clumpy bits of sugar left in the bowl where the person before has been too lazy to refill it .... it does the job 

coffee , wine , watches you lot are all so superficial .... right rant over , I'm off to book my business class seats for my family holiday

• Like 1

I use an AeroPress to make my coffee, it doesn't take long and is easy to clean. If I wasn't so lazy I'd buy beans and grind them myself to ensure MAXIMUM FRESHNESS but meh, I just buy pre-ground.

Edit: This thing

Aeropress.jpg?format=300w

Edited by Phumfeinz

Only drink coffee in exceptional citcumstances when a generic hot drink is required and they're out of tea. Mad how folks drink so many cups a day. Whats wrong with the standard glass of cabernet sauvignon with toast in the morning? :P

Â