Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Just now, PussEKatt said:

What I meant is that Australia is an English speaking country yet these Chinese come here to live but still dont know the language after years of residence,so they are not here because of the language,because they are ignoring it.Wierd

There are lots of people who move without knowing the language, or being particularly confident in it. 'The main reason' =/= 'the only reason'. Also, I'm specifically talking about refugees travelling through Europe to the UK, I don't know much about Chinese migration to Australia and can't speak to it. 

I guess the trick is to put yourself in their shoes and imagine the reverse scenario.

If you could no longer live in England and you had to move your family away which of these (admittedly ridiculous for example) options might you go for:

Wales: Welsh speaking and you know nobody there and you don’t know much about the place

Scotland: Gaelic speaking and you know nobody there and you don’t know much about the place

Ireland: Gaelic speaking and you know nobody there and you don’t know much about the place

Cornwall: English speaking but hate refugees and hate people from England and you’ve only ever heard bad things about the place

Belgium: English speaking, you have friends and relatives there, you’ve heard they’re fairly tolerant and you might be able to get a job, you like Belgian cinema

I think given those options, a portion of people would risk the journey to Belgium.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I don't' suppose anyone ever woke up ,looked at a world map , pointed to France and thought , one day I'll aspire to live there  :) 

no way you're going to settle on Yorkshire 

1. I did

2. I did 

I'd rather have my eyes gouged out than live in Surrey or the rest of the (spit) 'home counties'. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

What I meant is that Australia is an English speaking country yet these Chinese come here to live but still dont know the language after years of residence,so they are not here because of the language,because they are ignoring it.Wierd

China to Australia is a complete different set up from the middle east to Europe and then why out of Europe they pick the UK rather than one of the other 57 whatever it is countries 

Can't compare America with Europe either 

The orginial question was why do they pick the UK over say Germany or France or Spain or then Italy or Greece which is where I think most of them first land in Europe, why does someone from say Syria step foot in Greece which is a perfectly fine westernised modern country (!) and think nope I'm going to make the 3000km week long trek to the UK? 

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I guess the trick is to put yourself in their shoes and imagine the reverse scenario.

If you could no longer live in England and you had to move your family away which of these (admittedly ridiculous for example) options might you go for:

Wales: Welsh speaking and you know nobody there and you don’t know much about the place

Scotland: Gaelic speaking and you know nobody there and you don’t know much about the place

Ireland: Gaelic speaking and you know nobody there and you don’t know much about the place

Cornwall: English speaking but hate refugees and hate people from England and you’ve only ever heard bad things about the place

Belgium: English speaking, you have friends and relatives there, you’ve heard they’re fairly tolerant and you might be able to get a job, you like Belgian cinema

I think given those options, a portion of people would risk the journey to Belgium.

If I could safely get a comfy ferry there then yes.  If I was risking death for myself and my children I would get some Linguaphone tapes and wonder what The Valleys were like in spring. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

If I could safely get a comfy ferry there then yes.  If I was risking death for myself and my children I would get some Linguaphone tapes and wonder what The Valleys were like in spring. 

For me, I genuinely don’t know.

I don’t know how being bombed and starved for a decade might impact on my ability to think strategically. It is almost impossible to imagine what it’s like. I ‘think’ my plan would be to go to the next nearest self and tolerant place and work on adapting to there. If that meant I had to learn Spanish or Gaelic, I’d have a bloody good go at learning. If it’s meant I had to work as a refuse collector rather than a teacher, I think I’d suck it up.

I think if I had connections with ‘Belgium’ that would be a very strong pull. If I’ve already had a life of being bombed and poisoned and having my kids threatened, if I’d already been travelling and people smuggled for months, perhaps a few more hours on a boat might feel like a small risk in the grand scheme of things.

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

All I meant was,that I dont think that they were going to the UK because of the language.

But you've made that conclusion because 8 people, who aren't refugees, aren't from Syria/Afghanistan, and don't live in the UK; don't speak English.

It's not a very representative or big sample regarding the point @HanoiVillan was making is it?

Edited by Stevo985

Could it be that asylum seekers who make the channel crossing are completely oblivious to the dangers, beyond what is reasonable concern for getting in any boat? The people selling this journey are hardly going to be pulled up on their health and safety records are they. And it’s not like they’ll have been watching BBC news while getting bombed out of their own countries.

Edited by fightoffyour

On 27/10/2021 at 14:22, sidcow said:

Why do illegal immigrants risk their lives to cross the Channel and get to the UK. 

They've reached the security of The West and safety.  Why risk death to make it here? Is it literally our Welfare State or are there deeper reasons?

language, established communities, opportunities, Aston Villa.

My local Tesco’s seems to play pipe music cover versions of recent hits, last night is was some bloke warbling,  I need a bed (but would rather be in yours tonight) the other week it was a cover of shout out to my ex by Little Minx. Is this phenomenon only going on at my local Tesco’s or is it a nationwide thing ? 

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

My local Tesco’s seems to play pipe music cover versions of recent hits, last night is was some bloke warbling,  I need a bed (but would rather be in yours tonight) the other week it was a cover of shout out to my ex by Little Minx. Is this phenomenon only going on at my local Tesco’s or is it a nationwide thing ? 

it will reduce the royalties they pay because they'll only be paying the publishing royalties and the mechanicals will be royalty free by paying a one off licence.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

it will reduce the royalties they pay because they'll only be paying the publishing royalties and the mechanicals will be royalty free by paying a one off licence.

It kind of reminded my of those LP's in the 70's covering hits but not by the original artist, was it Stars of 45 or something,  Usually had a bit of totty on the cover if I recall ? 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

It kind of reminded my of those LP's in the 70's covering hits but not by the original artist, was it Stars of 45 or something. Usually had a bit of totty on the cover if I recall ? 

Top of the Pops. 

5483606.jpg

• Thanks 1

Â