Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

12 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The Gresford thread. Still top of the section.

He plays for someone else, let it go.

Nearly as bad as the bloosers stroking off to "Joood"

It staggers me. Near the top every time. Like an obsessed spurned lover. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Why the larger an animal is, the slower it's heartbeat usually is. For instance a mouse heart beats at approx 600-700 times a minute, a human heart about 70 to 80 bpm, an elephant at 30 bpm and a blue whale at 2 bpm. 

I get that the heart is bigger so can pump more liquid in one pump, but the body will also be bigger so shouldn't that balance it out?

Guessing it's something to do with properties of liquid within vessels, but still don't get why the increased body size element doesn't counter that. 

You have way deeper musings than me. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You have way deeper musings than me. 

Just generally interested in anything animal related as wanted to do veterinary science /zoology/marine biology when younger but absolutely suck at Chemistry so couldn't.

Was watching this with the little one this morning:

But is something I'd wondered about before when hearing stuff along those lines. 

@sidcow I dont know but I would think it has something to do with the strength of the muscle and not the size of the animal.For instance you could get some fat person that is 5 stone overweight with virtually no muscles and compare that person to a 9 stone fit person with no fat at all.Any,thats the way I see it,although I really dont know.

5 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Why the larger an animal is, the slower it's heartbeat usually is. For instance a mouse heart beats at approx 600-700 times a minute, a human heart about 70 to 80 bpm, an elephant at 30 bpm and a blue whale at 2 bpm. 

I get that the heart is bigger so can pump more liquid in one pump, but the body will also be bigger so shouldn't that balance it out?

Guessing it's something to do with properties of liquid within vessels, but still don't get why the increased body size element doesn't counter that. 

I think it's because as you increase the volume/mass of an animal, it's surface area (i.e. skin) doesn't increase by the same proportion.

So this affects heat release. Small animals release heat very quickly, while large animals retain heat.

This is reflected in Bergmann's rule https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann's_rule

Bergmann's rule is an ecogeographical rule that states that within a broadly distributed taxonomic clade, populations and species of larger size are found in colder environments, while populations and species of smaller size are found in warmer regions.

But exactly how this relates to heart rate, I'm not sure. There are two explanations on the internet that I've found:

First explanation is it's just an evolutionary adaptation. Smaller animals have a faster metabolism because they aren't at risk of overheating, while larger animals need a slower metabolism to maintain a steady body temperature, so heart beats slower.

e.g. https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a14491867/cells-metabolism-size/

Small animals, such as mice, have more active mitochondria in their bodies, working at a faster pace to produce energy and heat. This also translates into a faster heartbeat and breathing rate. Large animals like elephants have a slower metabolism and more chilled out mitochondria, producing just enough heat to live.

Second explanation is it's related to the size of the heart itself, and how that affects the ability to pump sufficient blood at different rates.

e.g. https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/why-do-babies-have-quick-heartbeat-and-elephants-slow-one

The reason is that if you think of a heart as almost a sphere and the volume of a sphere is given by the mathematical formula 4/3πr3. That's the volume of blood that a heart could hold. You could work out how much output's coming out of your heart by multiplying the number of times per minute the heart beats (the heart rate) by what's called the stroke volume (how much blood the heart squeezes out with every beat). Given that a heart that's small, instead of it just decreasing its volume by a small amount when you shrink the heart a bit it will actually decrease the volume of blood proportionately by the radius cubed. For every shrinkage of the heart, if the heart gets smaller and smaller - in fact there's a very big decrease in the amount of volume it can pump. You can compensate for the reduced volume by increasing the rate at which you pump. If you have a smaller heart you have to make it go faster.

The first explanation makes more sense to me tbh.

Edit: I feel there's a @XelaNerd meme incoming here, so I'm just going to say - any post on poster activity is getting reported to the mods, zero tolerance.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think it's because as you increase the volume/mass of an animal, it's surface area (i.e. skin) doesn't increase by the same proportion.

So this affects heat release. Small animals release heat very quickly, while large animals retain heat.

This is reflected in Bergmann's rule https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann's_rule

But exactly how this relates to heart rate, I'm not sure. There are two explanations on the internet that I've found:

First explanation is it's just an evolutionary adaptation. Smaller animals have a faster metabolism because they aren't at risk of overheating, while larger animals need a slower metabolism to maintain a steady body temperature, so heart beats slower.

e.g. https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a14491867/cells-metabolism-size/

Second explanation is it's related to the size of the heart itself, and how that affects the ability to pump sufficient blood at different rates.

e.g. https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/why-do-babies-have-quick-heartbeat-and-elephants-slow-one

The first explanation makes more sense to me tbh.

Edit: I feel there's a @XelaNerd meme incoming here, so I'm just going to say - any post on poster activity is getting reported to the mods, zero tolerance.

Interesting, I wonder how that is affected by the location and climate of the animal. For instance, contrasting the heart rate of an animal from a cold climate against a similar sized animal from a hot climate. 

I tried comparing resting heart rates of the Artic Fox with that of the Desert Fox but couldn't find them. 

People who store cups and glasses upside down in cupboards.  I just don't get it.

I presume it's to keep dust out but I'd rather swill away a bit of dust than drink from the rim of a glass that's been in contact with some surface which probably hasn't been cleaned and covered in sticky crap.

For the record my own cupboards are cleaned and not covered in sticky crap and I'd still rather not have the cups upside down.   I specifically thought of this as I keep finding someone has taken my mug out of the dishwasher at work and stored it upside down in the cupboard at work which I can guarantee hasn't been cleaned properly probably since it was installed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

People who store cups and glasses upside down in cupboards.  I just don't get it.

I presume it's to keep dust out but I'd rather swill away a bit of dust than drink from the rim of a glass that's been in contact with some surface which probably hasn't been cleaned and covered in sticky crap.

For the record my own cupboards are cleaned and not covered in sticky crap and I'd still rather not have the cups upside down.   I specifically thought of this as I keep finding someone has taken my mug out of the dishwasher at work and stored it upside down in the cupboard at work which I can guarantee hasn't been cleaned properly probably since it was installed.

Methinks thou dost protest too much... :detect:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I can only read this as a confession of you living in a midden

• Shocked 1

On 12/11/2021 at 22:56, rjw63 said:

The Gresford thread. Still top of the section.

He plays for someone else, let it go.

Nearly as bad as the bloosers stroking off to "Joood"

It's in 'Other Football' man. Let it go :lol: Although I do find it mildly fascinating how much the popularity of the Joe thread fascinates you :D

44 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There are several points to unpick here.

I’ve just had a look in our cupboards. Glasses are stored ‘correctly’ in Sidcow world. But the result is glass in glass stacking. Which over time creates those micro scratched that age a favourite glass. If they were stored upside down the stacking couldn’t happen and the glasses would be better preserved. This is particularly annoying as I really like the shape and feel of our glasses, and Nutella have since changed the shape of their pots, so I can’t replace them.

Cups are stored upside down. This is because we have too many cups. I regularly try to initiate cup pogroms, but apparently you can’t throw out the Crunchie mug that came with an Easter Egg in it in 1997. There are two of us living here, If ever we end up with 23 builders all needing a mug of tea, we’re good for it.

Your cup in the office should be on your desk / in your drawer. Leaving it in an office dishwasher can only mean you quite like the faint hint of someone else’s soup when you have a coffee.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There are several points to unpick here.

I’ve just had a look in our cupboards. Glasses are stored ‘correctly’ in Sidcow world. But the result is glass in glass stacking. Which over time creates those micro scratched that age a favourite glass. If they were stored upside down the stacking couldn’t happen and the glasses would be better preserved. This is particularly annoying as I really like the shape and feel of our glasses, and Nutella have since changed the shape of their pots, so I can’t replace them.

Cups are stored upside down. This is because we have too many cups. I regularly try to initiate cup pogroms, but apparently you can’t throw out the Crunchie mug that came with an Easter Egg in it in 1997. There are two of us living here, If ever we end up with 23 builders all needing a mug of tea, we’re good for it.

Your cup in the office should be on your desk / in your drawer. Leaving it in an office dishwasher can only mean you quite like the faint hint of someone else’s soup when you have a coffee.

1) Your actual problem here is cupboard space.  We have a similar issue in that we have I would estimate 6 x the cupboard space that we had in our old house yet still have no space.  We could invite 46 builders round for a full three course dinner and still not get into the REALLY old crockery.  I have suspicions Mrs Sidcow is a genuine hoarder.

2) We have stacked glasses too.  A bit of kitchen roll between them is your friend here.

3) You need a new dishwasher.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

drink from the rim of a glass that's been in contact with some surface which probably hasn't been cleaned and covered in sticky crap.

CvpxeeI.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 13/11/2021 at 11:49, KentVillan said:

Couples who just stick together through years of cheating and humiliation.

Yeah, I agree. Some people would rather be unhappy in a relationship than be single. I appreciate there may be reasons for some (kids/finances) but I couldn't do it. 

Ah these are the conversations I look forward to on here.

Both glasses and mugs/cups are stored upright in my house. I have been in either home or work environments where they’re stored upside down. There was a thrilling novelty to it, I won’t lie. A different way of thinking. But I ultimately went back to upright storage.

I think my parents have the mugs upside down and the glasses upright. 

If mugs and glasses are stored upside down to prevent dust, then what do people do with plates? I assume the stacked plates not on the top are deemed clean enough, but people presumably don’t bother washing the top plate before using it? Is the mug cupboard considered dustier than the plate cupboard?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Ah these are the conversations I look forward to on here.

Both glasses and mugs/cups are stored upright in my house. I have been in either home or work environments where they’re stored upside down. There was a thrilling novelty to it, I won’t lie. A different way of thinking. But I ultimately went back to upright storage.

I think my parents have the mugs upside down and the glasses upright. 

If mugs and glasses are stored upside down to prevent dust, then what do people do with plates? I assume the stacked plates not on the top are deemed clean enough, but people presumably don’t bother washing the top plate before using it? Is the mug cupboard considered dustier than the plate cupboard?

giphy.gif

Â