Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

People who believe mediums are actually talking to the dead. 

Seriously, how can they be so stupid?

It’s absoltely mental. 

Theres a girl at work who is adamantly anti religious. Thinks it’s stupid that anybody could believe in God and Jesus and all that. 

But she regularly sees mediums and genuinely believes they’re talking to dead relatives. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Scummy words removed the lot of them. Second against the wall after Michael Bay.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

'Irregardless.' What does that actually mean? OK, I understand 'normalcy' and the need to have their own word for something that there is already a word for,  but I've heard Americans on two or three occasions say 'irregardless'. Do they mean 'regardless' or do they mean 'with regard to' ? (as in a double negative word). I really don't get 'irregardless'.

14 minutes ago, BillyShears said:

'Irregardless.' What does that actually mean? OK, I understand 'normalcy' and the need to have their own word for something that there is already a word for,  but I've heard Americans on two or three occasions say 'irregardless'. Do they mean 'regardless' or do they mean 'with regard to' ? (as in a double negative word). I really don't get 'irregardless'.

Nothing to 'get'. It's simply not a word. 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2018 at 15:25, Wainy316 said:

Surprised no one else has done this, but :

2hQLAzsW_400x400.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BillyShears said:

Many Americans mistakenly believe it's a word.  Usually ones who weren't particularly good students but are trying to sound erudite.   The same crowd who say "heighth" and love to use the phrase "beg the question" but have no clue what it really means and consequently use it incorrectly.   Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint), most folk who read the incorrect usage also have the same misunderstanding and don't get confused by it.

On 08/04/2018 at 15:25, Wainy316 said:

I was cynical, not a great believer,
I thought these things were here to deceive you,
I thought it can't be true, couldn't happen to me,
Be under some-one's power by the count of three,
But I barked like a dog and I walked like a chicken,
They said I took my clothes off, or were they just kidding,
Or were they just kidding ?
Sleep, a deep deep sleep,
I can't remember except for little bits and peeps,
And everyone else they had a better time than me,
But at least I volunteered and that's to say the least,
'Cos' I joined in when they were all chicken,
Now I get a strange feeling when I hear a bell ringing,
Is that a bell ringing ? 

I'm in charge of the world, Why don't you bow down before the king,

I'm the president of it all in control of everything,

I'm that thing I can't recall, sorry what was I saying ?,

Oh I think it's happened again,oh my god how embarrassing

It's true all true I tellz ya 

Edited by sidcow

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Nothing to 'get'. It's simply not a word. 

4 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Many Americans mistakenly believe it's a word.  Usually ones who weren't particularly good students but are trying to sound erudite.   The same crowd who say "heighth" and love to use the phrase "beg the question" but have no clue what it really means and consequently use it incorrectly.   Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint), most folk who read the incorrect usage also have the same misunderstanding and don't get confused by it.

A quick google turned up this in Merriam-Webster. 

Irregardless was popularized in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its increasingly widespread spoken use called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

A quick google turned up this in Merriam-Webster. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Interesting.  It's certainly a word in the sense that any readily pronounceable assemblage of letters that gains a wide enough recognition and acceptance becomes a word, regardless of whether it evolved naturally from a root of one of the older languages or was created out of nothing.  Apparently, it would have beeen more appropriate to say irregardless wasn't a word until someone slapped an unnecessary syllable on a word meaning the same thing and it caught on with enough people.

On 08/04/2018 at 18:19, Designer1 said:

Scummy words removed the lot of them. Second against the wall after Michael Bay.

Nah, the remaining Beatles, Lettuce Farmers and umbrella manufacturers are first :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Nah, the remaining Beatles, Lettuce Farmers and umbrella manufacturers are first :mrgreen:

Here's a picture of well-known vegetarian Sir Paul McCartney for you. 

16.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, bickster said:

the remaining Beatles, Lettuce Farmers and umbrella manufacturers are first :mrgreen:

Beatles, yeah, no issues with that..., umbrella manufacturers - well, OK, their products are a menace. 

Lettuce farmers, why have you got a Cob on with them? .:mrgreen:

Just now, blandy said:

Beatles, yeah, no issues with that..., umbrella manufacturers - well, OK, their products are a menace. 

Lettuce farmers, why have you got a Cob on with them? .:mrgreen:

Lettuce is the devil's weed, pollutes way too many sandwiches and it's always the wrong sort of lettuce (iceberg). There are plenty more tasty weeds to eat

11 hours ago, BillyShears said:

When ever someone says 'irregardless' to me, I mutter 'irrespective' under my breath. In most cases, that is what they mean, they're just too simple to realise.

On the medium convo, my wife went to see one a few weeks back (I know, I know), and I went with her as it was at some saft Mystical Convention thing in Birmingham. I refused to go in and see the medium with her, because I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. It sounds like the medium guessed a few easy things.

For example "Your boyfriend/ partner is very supportive isn't he?" .... (That's a given, as I was there with her).

Another one, "He loves animals doesn't he?" ..... (I was wearing a jumper with a wolf on it :lol:)

Although the one that stumped us both, was that she said to my wife "You've just bought a house haven't you?", and my wife and I have been going through the house purchase process since January. So that was an odd one, and I'm intrigued as to how she guessed that. You could say "well, most people will buy a house every 5-7 years or so", but that's quite a big gap of time to be a stab in the dark. Also, my wife is 32 and this is the first time in her life that she's bought a house. Kudos to the professional bullshitter.

Also, I've got a photo of it somewhere, there was a wall of posters of different mediums, and there was a black and white photo of this right tit. A bald guy, stood posing like some low-grade catalogue model. His blurb said something along the lines of "Keith has a spirit guide named Anna. Anna is a 2000-year-old Native American", :crylaugh: My first thought was "Poor Anna, being stuck with this boob for eternity"

Edited by Rob182

13 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

When ever someone says 'irregardless' to me, I mutter 'irrespective' under my breath. In most cases, that is what they mean, they're just too simple to realise.

On the medium convo, my wife went to see one a few weeks back (I know, I know), and I went with her as it was at some saft Mystical Convention thing in Birmingham. I refused to go in and see the medium with her, because I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. It sounds like the medium guessed a few easy things.

For example "Your boyfriend/ partner is very supportive isn't he?" .... (That's a given, as I was there with her).

Another one, "He loves animals doesn't he?" ..... (I was wearing a jumper with a wolf on it :lol:)

Although the one that stumped us both, was that she said to my wife "You've just bought a house haven't you?", and my wife and I have been going through the house purchase process since January. So that was an odd one, and I'm intrigued as to how she guessed that. You could say "well, most people will buy a house every 5-7 years or so", but that's quite a big gap of time to be a stab in the dark. Also, my wife is 32 and this is the first time in her life that she's bought a house. Kudos to the professional bullshitter.

Also, I've got a photo of it somewhere, there was a wall of posters of different mediums, and there was a black and white photo of this right tit. A bald guy, stood posing like some low-grade catalogue model. His blurb said something along the lines of "Keith has a spirit guide named Anna. Anna is a 2000-year-old Native American", :crylaugh: My first thought was "Poor Anna, being stuck with this boob for eternity"

Either your wife dropped some info without realising that pointed towards her having bought a house or, more likely I imagine, it was just one of many questions the medium asked and that happened to be one that was right and therefore she remembered.

The woman at work I was referencing earlier in the thread was amazed that the medium she saw guessed that she had a dead grandparent.

I said: "Well... you're 35. I'd say there's a pretty good chance that a 35 year old will have at least one dead grandparent"

"....... oh yeah"

46 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

"No? Is someone you know buying a house?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Lettuce is the devil's weed, pollutes way too many sandwiches and it's always the wrong sort of lettuce (iceberg). There are plenty more tasty weeds to eat

it was a pun - Cob...lettuce. Cobb Lettuce. (yeah, I know, lowest form of wit, apart from that other one). 

Soz.

• Haha 2

Â