Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

On 12/05/2018 at 13:41, rjw63 said:

"Easy cook rice".

If you aren't capable of cooking normal rice you shouldn't be allowed in the **** kitchen.

I do rice really well, when the missus cooks its easy cook (veetee - simply the best ECR) because its infinitely better than hers, she just can't do it. 

Here's my method...

Measure the exact amount of rice you need (V important - no guessing)

Thoroughly wash the rice in cold water (at least 5 or 6 rinses and then leave it in a bowl of cold water for at least an hour/ This gets rid of the excess starch, you need some starch but not all of it.

Rinse the rice into a sieve and leave to drain.

Heat oil (High Heat) in a saucepan then add whatever flavourings you are using. Cook for 1 min max.

Reduce heat to medium and add rice, cook and stir until until all the rice is covered in oil.

Remove from ring

add the requisite amount of water, no more no less (For Basmati is generally  a ratio of 2 rice:3 water so 200ml of rice needs 300ml of water, also add a small amout of salt (1/2 teaspoon)

Bring saucepan to boil, give it a good stir and turn heat to low putting a tight fitting lid on saucepan, if your lid isn't tight fitting wrap it in foil so it is (the seal is important)

Simmer on very low heat for 18 to 20 mins. (DO NOT REMOVE LID FOR A LOOK)

Your rice is ready

Sounds complicated I guess but its really simple once you get used to it.

Skip a stage or speed something up and you might as well use ECR

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just don't eat rice. Simple. 

Bread and/or potatoes ftw. 

Must have rice in some shape or form about twice  a week but that's because I tend to cook Indian or Thai or similar, the missus may also cook a stir fry

As it happens we're having potatoes and rice tonight! (Beef Massaman)

Things I don't get - Lawns. I could also put mowing the lawn in the Things That Piss You Off topic too and yes I've just done mine.

Where is the enjoyment, the pleasure in a lawn? How did the idea of a lawn start and why? 

For me its just a load of work for zero gain.

In terms of effort put in the returns are in the negative space.

Just what exactly is the point?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just don't eat rice. Simple. 

Bread and/or potatoes ftw. 

But then you could never have Hoppin' Jon

Had some 'Jon' yesterday as a side to my brisket and burnt ends on texas toast.

Absolutely incredible meal.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Things I don't get - Lawns. I could also put mowing the lawn in the Things That Piss You Off topic too and yes I've just done mine.

Where is the enjoyment, the pleasure in a lawn? How did the idea of a lawn start and why? 

For me its just a load of work for zero gain.

In terms of effort put in the returns are in the negative space.

Just what exactly is the point?

It looks nice. Soft surface for kids to play on. I'll admit I don't much like mowing it, but for some strange reason, the missus does, so that's sorted. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Must have rice in some shape or form about twice  a week but that's because I tend to cook Indian or Thai or similar, the missus may also cook a stir fry

I don't like curries, I only eat them very occasionally, just to be sociable. 

Rice is OK in a Chinese or a risotto, but it's way, way behind bread and spuds (or even pasta) as my carb of choice. 

6 hours ago, Xela said:

It'll be clumpy if you do it for that long. 

Arse, I got nothing to add.

Except salt.

Here's one thing i definitely don't "get" - ripped jeans. I mean what is the point ? Ok, i understand the vintage, even faded or worn look but these tears, shreds and bloomin' big holes in some of these jeans are just ridiculous ! You can pay over £100 for, say Hugo Boss pair and they have ripped knees, "ladders" on one thigh and a torn back pocket. Please tell me how many washes is that pair going to survive before they fall apart ?! Some pairs - especially for the ladies - are almost shredded !

Younger VTers........please tell me what the appeal is ! ?

• Like 1

On a similar theme, 'pre-aged' guitars. Brand new, very expensive, but artificially distressed to look like they've had years of abuse. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Here's one thing i definitely don't "get" - ripped jeans. I mean what is the point ? Ok, i understand the vintage, even faded or worn look but these tears, shreds and bloomin' big holes in some of these jeans are just ridiculous ! You can pay over £100 for, say Hugo Boss pair and they have ripped knees, "ladders" on one thigh and a torn back pocket. Please tell me how many washes is that pair going to survive before they fall apart ?! Some pairs - especially for the ladies - are almost shredded !

They look good.

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

The more ladies' legs on view the better in my pervy opinion.  That said I remember when they were popular when I was a kid, then disappeared for about 15-20 years and now everyone has them it seems.  It's strange how things go round in cycles.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

On a similar theme, 'pre-aged' guitars. Brand new, very expensive, but artificially distressed to look like they've had years of abuse. 

Totally agree, it's sad. The only thing about it is that it takes a lot of skill to 'age' them, and some are pretty realistic.

I bought a Les Paul Traditional in Texas and I will never clean it, patina man, patina!

8 minutes ago, BillyShears said:

Totally agree, it's sad. The only thing about it is that it takes a lot of skill to 'age' them, and some are pretty realistic.

I bought a Les Paul Traditional in Texas and I will never clean it, patina man, patina!

Correct. Make your own belt buckle scrapes. 

• 1 month later...

Tell you what I don't get.

How some of you lot here on VT can hold down a full time job, have a family, follow every type of football under the sun, watch all the best TV on Netflix/Amazon, queue at cinemas to see new release movies...

And still have time to play **** computer RPG's.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Tell you what I don't get.

How some of you lot here on VT can hold down a full time job, have a family, follow every type of football under the sun, watch all the best TV on Netflix/Amazon, queue at cinemas to see new release movies...

And still have time to play **** computer RPG's.

Only one answer. Bunch of benefit scammers the lot of them! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â