Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1) I'm sure I've covered it here before but all my life I've not seen the attraction of skiing or golf but wondered if I was missing something as so many do enjoy them. 

I therefore tried golf and when I smacked one true down the pitch with my golf bat, my mate said that was the beauty of it I knew I would never do it again because I couldn't give a shit why I hit it true. 

I will probably not try skiing as I now trust my instinct. 

2) I find wearing shorts with wooly hats in winter FAR less baffling than the hipsters who wear wooly hats in scorching summer. Dicks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Re: Skiing holidays. I like the idea of the snow and wooden chalets and drinks around a roaring fire in the pub in the evening. 

You need to stop watching Wham videos. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

2) I find wearing shorts with wooly hats in winter FAR less baffling than the hipsters who wear wooly hats in scorching summer. Dicks. 

This does my head in. I feel an increasing urge to either shout at them to take it off or actually rip it off their heads ! I know there's a grunge/skater boy look going on, but.....seriously....? 

As for those morons who have a hoodie up over the woolly hat, on a blazing hot day..........:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

I’ve done a snowboarding holiday in Valen Thorens about ten years ago. 

It was good fun, although my memories of the week are less to with snowboarding and more to do with drinking, playing cards and our English charm somehow failing to register with the French ladies on the resort.

I’m glad I went and gave it a go, but I never bothered again and probably never will.

@sharkyvilla if it’s the heights thing that’s putting you off, I wouldn’t let it worry you too much. I don’t like heights either but it really wasn’t a problem. In my experience, you go at your own pace, go on whatever run you feel capable of going on. Even the ski lift isn’t that bad. The biggest worry I had was crashing into other skiers/snowboarders, as in some areas the beginners and experienced skiers are not as segregated as I had assumed they’d be.

• Like 2

On 23/02/2018 at 20:38, Tegis said:

We just need a wind-tunnel :D

My Mrs sits on one of those most evenings. . The magic dies kidz. 

Edited by sidcow

I'm so glad to see the hatred for Mrs Brown's Boys. It's so massive I thought I was the only one. Shout out for whoever mentioned Miranda. Things you don't get could have been created specifically for her in my world. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’ve done a snowboarding holiday in Valen Thorens about ten years ago. 

It was good fun, although my memories of the week are less to with snowboarding and more to do with drinking, playing cards and our English charm somehow failing to register with the French ladies on the resort.

French skiiers, local barmaids... seems a common theme mate ;)

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Soaps. How can anybody stand to watch them? Even the trailers for Eastenders make want to run screaming from the room. 

Just imagine being a soap scriptwriter, staring at a blank piece of paper thinking “what storyline can I give Ian bloody Beale now?”.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Soaps. How can anybody stand to watch them? Even the trailers for Eastenders make want to run screaming from the room. 

Turgid and depressing shite. 

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Were you in my house last night? I said exactly this to Mrs Sidcow last night when the insufferable first few bars of the theme came on. Its a dash to the remote. It amazes me people want to depress themselves watching that turgid nonsense. 

The thing I don't get about soaps is how everyone lives on 1 street or 1 square that they never leave for anything. They shop, eat, drink, do laundry. get their cars fixed and they never leave the one road their entire lives!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

The thing I don't get about soaps is how everyone lives on 1 street or 1 square that they never leave for anything. They shop, eat, drink, do laundry. get their cars fixed and they never leave the one road their entire lives!

On Eastenders, they work part time in a laundry or market stall but can afford to buy a 4 story townhouse in East London, which would cost c£1.5m at least. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

On Eastenders, they work part time in a laundry or market stall but can afford to buy a 4 story townhouse in East London, which would cost c£1.5m at least. 

And nobody owns a washing machine! That's why Dot looks so knackered all the time

• Haha 1

Why I can buy a pair of pretty decent shoes made of actual expensive leather which are good enough quality to wear all day, every day for 9 months and still be in decent nick, yet have to pay nearly double the price for some cheap synthetic footwear which would fall apart if worn all day everyday for 2 months which are so expensive purely because a small Philipino boy has glued a tick or 3 stripes onto them. 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

This is pretty much universal to TV shows in general, at least in the US.  Other than shows where the characters'  wealth is part of the premise, they all live way above their means.

14 hours ago, KHV said:

The thing I don't get about them is that everyone in the country knows all the storylines before they happen. Even people who don't watch them know the stories.

What the **** is the point in watching it then?

• Like 1

Â