Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Jeeeez, golf. That is the absolute worst. My personal hell would be a never ending day with golf people.

Tried to do my bit a few years ago, against my better instincts, thought it would help with 'networking'. Which it did, to be fair. But I found I was networking with golf people. Who are all 100% **** awful in every **** fiber of their dead eyed soulless **** corporate carcasses. Zombies in 'sportswear'. That's where my shooting spree would kick off.

The boss gave me a full set of clubs for free so I could get up and running. A few months later I'd jacked it in and sold the clubs.

Bit awkward when he realised I'd packed it in and he asked for them back. I told him I'd passed them on to another guy that was trying to get in to it. Which I had. For fifty quid and a litre of brandy.

When I worked for the investment banks , Golf was clearly the ladder of choice for getting in with the bosses , you'd see all these numpties do practise swing shots in their offices and shit like that hoping the bosses would say  "oh do you play golf , you must come join me at my exclusive £500k a year club one weekend , perhaps we can discuss you marrying my daughter whilst we play 18 holes "

then the Americans took us over and for reasons unknown it became football as the trendy sport of choice and then suddenly a zillion Chelsea desktop wallpapers  appeared on the PC's as the Tiger wannabies all became life long Chelsea fans

59 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I used to hate cricket, but I got the bug once I saw a t20 (boo) game

funny enough I don't really like 20/20 ..like my annual visit to Mrs H's side of the bed , it's over too quickly  

Test match and even one day games at least you get time to relax , enjoy the beer , enjoy the sunshine and enjoy the company  etc ... 20/20 is all about who can build the biggest beer tower and who can run across the pitch at the end of the match  and make one of the stewards slip over ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont know, golf and the demographic has changed a lot in the last 10 years, it seems as much about networking as it does blokes who dont want to sit home with their wife and kids on a sunday

From my experience the **** aboutary on the course has increased too, its not as stiff and boring as the generation above me led me to believe

It all depends on who you play with 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

funny enough I don't really like 20/20 ..like my annual visit to Mrs H's side of the bed , it's over too quickly  

Test match and even one day games at least you get time to relax , enjoy the beer , enjoy the sunshine and enjoy the company  etc ... 20/20 is all about who can build the biggest beer tower and who can run across the pitch at the end of the match  and make one of the stewards slip over ....

Oh I agree.

I think out of all the formats, 1 day is probably my fave.. but I think that's more to do with seeing Bears win the cup at Lords a couple of seasons ago.  

58 minutes ago, snowychap said:

There are vast differences between people who play golf, people who use golf as some sort of networking medium and then people who belong to an actual golf club (which are largely oppressive, uncomfortable places for anyone who doesn't belong - which is most normal people).

I think you do the first group of people a great disservice when lumping them together with the other two groups.

no

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dont know, golf and the demographic has changed a lot in the last 10 years, it seems as much about networking as it does blokes who dont want to sit home with their wife and kids on a sunday

From my experience the **** aboutary on the course has increased too, its not as stiff and boring as the generation above me led me to believe

It all depends on who you play with 

As the saying goes, "golf is a good walk spoiled". 

• Like 3

I can enjoy golf when the ball goes where my mind intended it to go. At all other times I lose my mind. For my own health I therefore rarely play. However golf club members, shops within the club etc. tend, with a depressingly level of consistency, towards the odious snobbery in their attitude. I remember being lambasted by a total stranger as the studs on my shoes weren't quite right and my shirt was I'll fitting. I was about 12 at the time. That definitely lead to a big case of 'well **** this shit with the sport

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And fishing is a good sit-down spoiled. 

I go with my son some times , gets us outside and we get to chat a lot whilst we wait for the poxy fish to bite

tbh I'm one of those people who is always on a gadget , I've got clients on different time zones so I'm sorta always checking emails and replying if I'm at home , on holiday etc  , or if I'm watching TV I flip the phone on and check news , sport , VT etc  .... fishing is one of those times where I don't do this , mainly as I'm too busy having to untangle my sons line from a tree or somehow undo a knot that he's managed to put in the line that would have flummoxed  Houdini

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I work 200 Metres from the Ajax stadium,  I can see it from my office.

English have been outside drinking since 9.00am.

10 hours early.  Why not stay in the Dam till later as there is nothing to do around here.

Ingerlund fans abroad -  a special breed. 

• Like 1

Golf & work has changed over the years - it used to be the standard networking event in the finance industry. Every senior manager at my place had a set of golf clubs in their boot. Not so much the case now, its dropped off massively. I'd say the old fashioned piss up has taken its place at the top of the tree again. 

• Like 1

I dont know if this has been mentioned in the 147 pages before hand but for me it has to be commenting on the internet. 

Outside of controlled forums like this or where you can restrict who sees you post like facebook (no jokes about facebook divulging all our data), you cant comment on public websites without some of the most extreme comments or views responses.  I remember years ago watching an episode of West Wing where the character Josh Lyman  (Deputy Chief of Staff) decided to respond to a website about him and his activities as DCoS.  Then how bat sh1t crazy that turned out for the rest of the episode but it's very close to reality and getting worse as social media becomes a bigger part of our lives. 

Normal conversation on the internet is rare rather than the norm in my experience, which is a sad state of current culture for me

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I dont know if this has been mentioned in the 147 pages before hand but for me it has to be commenting on the internet. 

Outside of controlled forums like this or where you can restrict who sees you post like facebook (no jokes about facebook divulging all our data), you cant comment on public websites without some of the most extreme comments or views responses.  I remember years ago watching an episode of West Wing where the character Josh Lyman  (Deputy Chief of Staff) decided to respond to a website about him and his activities as DCoS.  Then how bat sh1t crazy that turned out for the rest of the episode but it's very close to reality and getting worse as social media becomes a bigger part of our lives. 

Normal conversation on the internet is rare rather than the norm in my experience, which is a sad state of current culture for me

I love the West Wing.  If I could be a TV character it'd be Josh Lyman

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Outside of controlled forums like this or where you can restrict who sees you post like facebook (no jokes about facebook divulging all our data), you cant comment on public websites without some of the most extreme comments or views responses.

Yes. Don't read the bottom half of the internet unless you want to be knee deep in trolls and hatred.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont but at the same can still quite enjoy them, seen about 5 over the years, twice in pubs where its 1 medium to a say 8 people sat around a table, thats a shit experience ruined by the stupidity of other people

"Im seeing a white fence and a gate..."

"Thats my dead grans house"

**** off!!

But i have had a couple of really good fun experiences with them, its all about showmanship and their ability to talk and sell something to you, i didnt necessarily believe it, definitely dont remember 99.99% of what they said but i do remember getting goosebumps 2/3 times and sometimes like a magician being amazed by how they did some of the stuff even if it was just them weasling out info from you in a really clever way without you realising, you sit there determined not to say a thing before it all starts or talk about anything outside and then you go through and their 1st question is "how was telford today?" (Working there at the time) again...**** off!!

Â