Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The thing I don't get about them is that everyone in the country knows all the storylines before they happen. Even people who don't watch them know the stories.

What the **** is the point in watching it then?

It wasn't like that in the olden days. Who shot JR? 

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The thing I don't get about them is that everyone in the country knows all the storylines before they happen. Even people who don't watch them know the stories.

Everyone in the country knows what's going to happen in the next Marvel movie. In fact, despite not having watched a new one for more than a decade, I bet you I can predict more accurately what's going to happen in the next Marvel movie than I can what's going to happen in Eastenders next week. 

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Everyone in the country knows what's going to happen in the next Marvel movie. In fact, despite not having watched a new one for more than a decade, I bet you I can predict more accurately what's going to happen in the next Marvel movie than I can what's going to happen in Eastenders next week. 

Another cultural phenomenon I totally don't 'get'. 

"Have you seen the latest Thingman movie?" No, I'm not twelve years old. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Fair point, but at least that is guessing what's happening based on the way the plots in those movies usually go.

But for soaps it's basically spelled out in magazines and papers.

"Joe Bloggs is killed off next week by having a heart attack"

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair point, but at least that is guessing what's happening based on the way the plots in those movies usually go.

But for soaps it's basically spelled out in magazines and papers.

"Joe Bloggs is killed off next week by having a heart attack"

Yes, that's true, but the relative circulations of those magazines compared to the viewership of the soaps themselves suggests it's a small percentage of viewers who choose to read about what happens first. And there are equivalent magazines and predictions for movies as well. 

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, that's true, but the relative circulations of those magazines compared to the viewership of the soaps themselves suggests it's a small percentage of viewers who choose to read about what happens first. And there are equivalent magazines and predictions for movies as well. 

Yeah but it's different for the big storylines. It's headline news in (shit) newspapers. 

When there's a big soap storyline, like a big name being killed off, then half the country knows about it. I don't see what people gain from then watching the show knowing that that person is going to die.

15 hours ago, KHV said:

The thing I don't get about soaps is how everyone lives on 1 street or 1 square that they never leave for anything. They shop, eat, drink, do laundry. get their cars fixed and they never leave the one road their entire lives!

On a normal residential street they have a pub, a restaurant, car garage, bookies, kebab shop/chippy, launderette, corner shop, factory etc.

On Eastenders they're practically in the heart of London and they never get the tube or do anything good.

Also a single street with the death tolls these have would be under international investigation!

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

To watch the details of how it pans out, perhaps?

There may be a surprise in the storyline, e.g. they may know that Den/Dave/Janice/Bazzer is going to get killed off but they may not know how or by whom. People may want to see the reactions of other characters when these storylines occur.

People may just feel so invested in the whole set up of a soap that it almost ends up being like gossip about people that they know. We may all have a very good idea how Derrick from accounts behaves on a night out when Cheryl from reception decides to kop off with Tony from Head Office but there are plenty of people who would still like to hear about it and the details of what happened.

There's a routine to it - almost a religiosity. I guess there's also a feeling that if you don't watch it then something that hasn't been flagged in the press will happen and as a long time viewer or listener to the show, you'll miss out.

Also, I think there's quite a lot in the idea that some of the storylines are so depressing that they can't help to make people think, "Thank christ my life's not that bad."

You say that even people who don't watch them know the stories but I don't. I haven't watched a soap routinely for many a year (and I largely only did it out of habit) and I'd struggle to name a major storyline from a soap in maybe the last decade.

Edit:

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't see what people gain from then watching the show knowing that that person is going to die.

I've watched many a film/TV adaptation of a book that I've read. I don't think that knowing the (basic) story in advance is as off-putting as you present it. Indeed, I think that, for a lot of people, it's rather a bonus.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

To watch the details of how it pans out, perhaps?

There may be a surprise in the storyline, e.g. they may know that Den/Dave/Janice/Bazzer is going to get killed off but they may not know how or by whom. People may want to see the reactions of other characters when these storylines occur.

People may just feel so invested in the whole set up of a soap that it almost ends up being like gossip about people that they know. We may all have a very good idea how Derrick from accounts behaves on a night out when Cheryl from reception decides to kop off with Tony from Head Office but there are plenty of people who would still like to hear about it and the details of what happened.

There's a routine to it - almost a religiosity. I guess there's also a feeling that if you don't watch it then something that hasn't been flagged in the press will happen and as a long time viewer or listener to the show, you'll miss out.

Also, I think there's quite a lot in the idea that some of the storylines are so depressing that they can't help to make people think, "Thank christ my life's not that bad."

You say that even people who don't watch them know the stories but I don't. I haven't watched a soap routinely for many a year (and I largely only did it out of habit) and I'd struggle to name a major storyline from a soap in maybe the last decade.

Edit:

I've watched many a film/TV adaptation of a book that I've read. I don't think that knowing the (basic) story in advance is as off-putting as you present it. Indeed, I think that, for a lot of people, it's rather a bonus.

I guess, but I think it's slightly different seeing how a book is adapted into a film vs how someone gets killed off on Corrie.

But each to their own.

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Another cultural phenomenon I totally don't 'get'. 

"Have you seen the latest Thingman movie?" No, I'm not twelve years old. 

Oh yes. The whole superhero thing just leaves me cold and is now getting out of hand. 

It's to do with Hollywood being so scared of a flop that as soon as something is a hit they redo it over and over endlessly until eventually the public get sick of it then they look around for the next genre too flog to death. 

TAKE A CHANCE HOLLYWOOD. GO ON I DARE YA. 

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I have this great method for avoiding spoilers on soap operas  .... I don't read women's magazines 

I only read them for the sex tips. 

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not me, I keep myself in the dark and refuse to read into new movies or watch trailers. One thing I do not get, why trailers nowadays show the whole fricking movie, twists and all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I only read them for the sex tips. 

I use the ask BOF anything thread for that ..... didn't actually help things with Mrs H  but on the plus side my arms are visibly bigger than they used to be  ......

• Like 2

Â