Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

As much as I think he would be a decent signing, we really should've spent this on Sigurdsson or Holtby. Baffling that we haven't.

As I said in the speculation thread, something has probably changed behind the scenes because when Swansea signed Sigurdsson we looked like weren't going to spend anything at all.

Definitely. Was gutted we didn't go for Sig, would be perfect for us. I think what changed was Lerner realising the club wasn't going this summer.

• Like 3

8 million seems excessive. Could be good for us if he finds form, could be Darren Bent mk II. For that sort of wonga though he better put the work in.

-------------------Benteke---------------------

--------------------Cleveley---------------------

Delph--------------------------Grealish--------

----------------Sanchez-------------------------

Could that work?

Swap Cleverley and Grealish and it has a chance.

• Like 1

He's solid but unspectacular. Not as bad as made out to be but not top class. Keeps it well but not really a ball winner nor particularly creative. Could do a job with the right mix of players around him though, needed a move.

• Like 1

I'm thinking my objection to this signing is more to do with the fee than the player. When did £9 million become the going rate for this sort of player?!

There's always been a premium for players moving between Premier League teams, see most of Martin O'Neill's business as an example.

The Manchester United thread in off topic (seek: Cleverley) makes for interesting reading on what people thought of Cleverley previous to today.

Reckon in context, Cleverley for United is a different prospect to Cleverley for us

• Like 1

I'm thinking my objection to this signing is more to do with the fee than the player. When did £9 million become the going rate for this sort of player?!

There's always been a premium for players moving between Premier League teams, see most of Martin O'Neill's business as an example.

That's my issue. You go English, you pay double but rarely does the fee mirror the quality.

His confidence is absolutely shot, in tatters. let's hope he can find it again otherwise I'm afraid he could be a terrible mistake.

Dunno about you but my confidence would be sky high if i was picking up 70k a week

• Like 1

I believe he'll be great here. And I actually see the big price tag as almost a positive thing. Gives confidence that if we're in trouble in January, we can improve the squad. Yes, the reported fee is a lot of money and salary probably too, but it really won't put in a much worse financial situation overall, one Tom Cleverley wont make much of a difference in big picture. Except on the pitch, hopefully...probably.

• Like 2

As soon as the likes of Jake Livermore and Robert Snodgrass went for £8m, Ross McCormack went for £11m and Shane Long went for £12m I'd imagine. The new TV money has further inflated what was already an absurd domestic market.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 3

Â