Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Will be a good signing for us. Did well under Fergie but fallen away a bit recently, but still a very good player for us. Trent is keeping very quiet on this.

Everyone at man u fell away after Fergie though. Still a good player in Cleverley, hopefully he can fullfill he's potential here.

• Like 2

When United beat Arsenal 8-2 it was pretty amazing when you look at the team and see that half the players were playing for lower end Premier teams the season before. Cleverley really impressed me in that match.

The Manchester United thread in off topic (seek: Cleverley) makes for interesting reading on what people thought of Cleverley previous to today.

Reckon in context, Cleverley for United is a different prospect to Cleverley for us

Very true. Quite a few did mention that he is dogshit and not good enough for our midfield though. 

Me? I said he was awful and I didn't rate him.

We need an attacking midfield player. We're signing a 25 year old with lots of experience and who will come with a point to prove. I'd say he's above the level of player I thought we'd be signing this summer. He makes the first 11 better and I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

He had 2 assists last season. One in the Carling Cup and for England.

Again, I hope this isn't the answer to the creative midfielder we are after. Also he is more of a deeper player not exactly an attacking midfielder.

The Fox effect?

Anyway, haven't seen him near enough to judge him before he's even played for us. But coming from united he can't be that bad. If he joins, I'll cheer him on.

• Like 1

Same old faces that were slagging Senderos and Cissokho before they had kicked a ball for the Villa. Turned out to be good signings.

Welcome Tom.

Bit premmature.

Edit: Also, we don't know that he's coming yet. We've reportedly had a bid accepted and apparently so have Hull. Quite possible he may opt for them.

Edited by Isa

This will be a good signing. In my opinion, he's a better first team option than Gabby or Weimann in attacking roles, and he's a better option than Westwood in a midfield role. He's a better option than Grealish and N'Zogbia also, because of experience and form respectively. Yes, the price seems a bit high, but as others have mentioned, it's (unfortunately) the going rate for English players (see Henderson, Livermore etc). We could have gone for Holtby, but I see two problems there. 1) He has never proven to be more than an average Prem player. 2) Levy would surely try to rinse us for every penny, and probably ask for £10m+. Others have said we could have gotten better value abroad. Maybe we could, but we also could have bought an £8m player who takes a season to settle into the league, or flops. Let's not forget we spent £2-3m on Helenius and Tonev, so adding 4 or 5 million on top doesn't guarantee that you get a player that will fit in straight away. Cleverley will, in my opinion.

Yeah fair enough he looked good at Watford and Wigan in the Championship but he's done nothing at all in the Premier league/Champions league that inspires me especially for 8 million.

Didn't he play for Wigan in the Prem? And he performed really well, which lead to him breaking into Fergie's team.

He wouldn't get a look in at Everton once Barkley is back though. They've got Barry and McCarthy as well as Osman on the bench.

Plus Muhamed Bešić and even Christian Atsu can play as a central-midfielder.

Edited by Isa

hmmm. Not sure this will happen. Surely we need a striker more than yet another centre midfielder? I suppose Lambert is dammed if you do, dammed if you do not. Last year he spent most of his budget on Kozak when everyone wanted a midfielder.

He has played 13 times for England? Bloody hell.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I don't think we need a striker, in a few months we'd have Benteke, Kozak, Gabby, Weimann, NEW PLAYER & Helenius on loan. For a team that generally play with one striker, and two wide forwards/wingers, I'd say we're more in need of a winger.

Â