Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Like many stats assists don't necessarily paint the full picture. I don't know if Cleverley can do it but it's entirely possible for a player to not get a lot of assists but still create a lot.

I was just going to post the same.  

You don't have to always play the final killer pass to be part of the creative attacking movement.

Like many stats assists don't necessarily paint the full picture. I don't know if Cleverley can do it but it's entirely possible for a player to not get a lot of assists but still create a lot.

You don't have to always play the final killer pass to be part of the creative attacking movement.

I don't see the same being posted in the Westwood thread.

• Like 3

Anyone reckon he's the kind of player who could, for example, have made a difference last night?

Without a doubt.

In what way? I'm curious. I really don't rate him from what I've seen of him, always struck me as a bang average do nothing centre mid, but I am open minded enough to be persuaded otherwise...

That is probably so but Cleverley still isn't a creative/attacking midfielder.

Which is my main point the money could be better spent on one.

Lambert might turn him into one but I've seen nothing from Cleverley so far that makes me think he can fill this role.

I don't see the same being posted in the Westwood thread.

Different type of player.  Westwood is a steady passer, keeps the ball well.

Cleverley has the ability to go past people, which helps create space for others and i'd say from what i've seen of him he's good at playing little passes around the box.  I think Cleverley would be a more creative player than westwood could be. 

• Like 1

If you're the main attacking-midfielder then you are expected to provide some assists. I've never seen anything to suggest Cleverley will contribute much in the creative department. Nearly always plays the simple, five-yard pass.

• Like 1

This will be a good signing. In my opinion, he's a better first team option than Gabby or Weimann in attacking roles, and he's a better option than Westwood in a midfield role. He's a better option than Grealish and N'Zogbia also, because of experience and form respectively. Yes, the price seems a bit high, but as others have mentioned, it's (unfortunately) the going rate for English players (see Henderson, Livermore etc). We could have gone for Holtby, but I see two problems there. 1) He has never proven to be more than an average Prem player. 2) Levy would surely try to rinse us for every penny, and probably ask for £10m+. Others have said we could have gotten better value abroad. Maybe we could, but we also could have bought an £8m player who takes a season to settle into the league, or flops. Let's not forget we spent £2-3m on Helenius and Tonev, so adding 4 or 5 million on top doesn't guarantee that you get a player that will fit in straight away. Cleverley will, in my opinion.

Yeah fair enough he looked good at Watford and Wigan in the Championship but he's done nothing at all in the Premier league/Champions league that inspires me especially for 8 million.

Didn't he play for Wigan in the Prem? And he performed really well, which lead to him breaking into Fergie's team.

What are you basing Cleverley being better as an attacking option than Gabby and Weimann? I am saying you're talking out of your arse cos cleverley's stats are atrocious from an attacking side of things.

Better than grealish and Nzogbja based on experience and form? Gimme a break ffs, your points don't stand up and to be honest and you need to think about what you're saying instead of just posting this dribble!

christ no. garbage player who won't aid creativity one bit

Come on, really?

Delph, Sanchez, Westwood, Cleverley, Cole competing for three spots. Darn sight better than what we had 2 months ago.

More players doesn't mean more creativity though.

If you're the main attacking-midfielder then you are expected to provide some assists. I've never seen anything to suggest Cleverley will contribute much in the creative department. Nearly always plays the simple, five-yard pass.

When was the last time he was played as the main attacking midfield player?

He is one of the worst, most ineffective players in the league. I would rather we didnt sign anyone than this waste of space.

That's just pure hyperbole.

I can assure you it isnt. I think anyone who likes this signing simply hasnt seen him "play" enough.

Cleverley won't be challenging Weimann and Agbonlahor for a place in the side. I'd imagine he'll be used as one of the central three, from which position it's possible for him to pose an attacking threat and he doesn't necessarily have to replace Westwood.

Â