Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Still hasn't progressed from his early form here, makes a nice few tackles and does some decent defensive work but always does stupid things that are costly and as such is a liability. Will he ever be fit enough to play 90 minutes and not look like he's out on his feet after an hour?...pity Cus I really took to him when he first signed, maybe Remi can improve him.

I thought Sanchez was one of our better players tonight.  He wins the ball back more than any other player - and yes he does give away a lot of fouls, but the Spurs players were going to ground very easily (and the ref was giving them everything....he was appallingly one-sided).

#givecarlosachance

• Like 3

It is nightmarish how often he can give the ball away at times by pondering too long. However works his nuts off every game he plays and never swerves a challenge. Thought tonight was a prime example of this and although he can lapse I think we will really need him to stay up.  If he plays the DM role continually under good instruction I personally feel he will provide our CB's with good cover. As with a lot of the players I think they need consistent games. Playing every couple of weeks is no good for players that need to build sharpness.

• Like 1

My Man of the Match last night.  Thought he showed exactly what he is capable of screening the back 4 nicking play and passing on.  He really covers some ground, is quick strong and the only midfielder we have that can win a header.  I'd like to see Sanchez and Gana as the regualr pairing in Midfield.  He can lose the ball occasionally but I accept that as a part of him not immediately trying to launch it upfield but give us posession to Counter, it can happen trying to find a teamate in a crowded area.

I wouldn't mind seeing a system like this:

Guzan

Hutton          Richards        Okore       Amavi 

Sanchez

Gana 

Ayew       Gil         Sinclair                 

Gestede / Ayew

This system would let the full backs push up and Sanchez to cover across when required.  The bench would provide options/ replacements.

He seems to suffer from the same lack of awareness as Bacuna for me. Too often closed down, Too often a heavy touch leading to a stretching recovery tackle, and every game a sloppy pass (like the lay off last night near the end) which with a little more concentration and attention to detail wouldnt happen.

Still he battles and he is one of the only midfielders at the club you could ever imagine winning a personal match up on the pitch.

Strangely when he has time, space and concentrates he is one of our best passers, switching the play left to right last night some of the balls out wide to Hutton on the overlap were lovely and pinpoint.

Having someone (Gil for instance) coming deep to give him an easy pass when he's in possession (As someone earlier pointed out about James Rodriguez doing when playing for Colombia) is exactly how to get the best out of him.

• Like 2

This guy should be sitting in our midfield with two dynamos either side of him. Gana and Veretout. Let them two, Gil, Grealish and Ayew do the forward work and let Sanchez break up play. He was basically playing by himself in CM, both with Westwood and Bacuna.

• Like 2

Â