Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Every time I've seen him play for Colombia he has been outstanding. He's had a few good games for us but the odd shocker too. Not sure what to make of him, really.

I think he is more suited to the pace Colombia play the game, I don't think he suited to the Premier League

I don't think he suited to the Premier League

Me either.He plays at too slow a pace for the premier league. 

Out of interest ,which top leagues are slower than the PL. 

All of them?

If so, our best teams get turned over time and time again by 'slower' teams/players.

I'm playing devil's advocate here. But maybe it's our pace that's wrong, not his.

• Like 1

All of them?

If so, our best teams get turned over time and time again by 'slower' teams/players.

I'm playing devil's advocate here. But maybe it's our pace that's wrong, not his.

Was thinking the same, World Cup pace is surely not slower than the premier league. Messi would not come to the premier league and struggle with the pace, but Sanchez has kept him in his pocket numerous times.

The problem with Sanchez is that he is limited with his passing and needs players to run close to him to collect the ball. (And to the people saying he does not work in a midfield two, Colombia play a simple 442 most of the time). At Colombia you can see that everytime Sanchez wins the ball, James Rodriguez runs towards him to pick up the ball.

Sanchez should start in the midfield as the defensive player and every time he wins the ball the midfield partner (Gana) or someone should run towards him to take the ball of him. To often it seems like everyone, the players and manager, expect him to be a playmaker and everyone runs away from him when he is in possession, which is when he struggles.

All of them?

Was thinking the same, World Cup pace is surely not slower than the premier league.

World Cup pace is much slower than the premier league

• Like 1

All of them?

Was thinking the same, World Cup pace is surely not slower than the premier league.

Than can be discussed, I would agree that the worst/smaller nations that participate may have slower tempo. But surely not the bigger nations ? 

How do you measure tempo in a match ? according to average distance covered in a match the hardest working team in the premier league is Bournemouth who cover on average 72 miles per match, this would put them in as the 9th hardest working team in the world cup. Villa's average of 64 miles per match would come in as 29th hardest working team. This must be one way of seeing the tempo as it shows how hard players fight and how much pressure they put on the opponents ?

If your talking passing tempo I will disagree without showing figures, as the passing in the premier league is not on par with the better nations, which we could see from the English national team compared to just about every other nation that competed. Out played, out fought and out pressured by Costa Rica. 

The World Cup is the competition where players(high on adrenaline) put in the most effort and usually play to a much higher level than they do at club level, as it is the biggest competition in the world. 

So what is high tempo ? kick and rush ? as this is a dying way of playing in the premier league, arguably only west brom play it and they are probably the team with the lowest tempo in the league.

Personally I think the high tempo thing in the premier league is a myth.

• Like 1

All of them?

Than can be discussed, I would agree that the worst/smaller nations that participate may have slower tempo. But surely not the bigger nations ? 

How do you measure tempo in a match ? according to average distance covered in a match the hardest working team in the premier league is Bournemouth who cover on average 72 miles per match, this would put them in as the 9th hardest working team in the world cup. Villa's average of 64 miles per match would come in as 29th hardest working team. This must be one way of seeing the tempo as it shows how hard players fight and how much pressure they put on the opponents ?

If your talking passing tempo I will disagree without showing figures, as the passing in the premier league is not on par with the better nations, which we could see from the English national team compared to just about every other nation that competed. Out played, out fought and out pressured by Costa Rica. 

The World Cup is the competition where players(high on adrenaline) put in the most effort and usually play to a much higher level than they do at club level, as it is the biggest competition in the world. 

So what is high tempo ? kick and rush ? as this is a dying way of playing in the premier league, arguably only west brom play it and they are probably the team with the lowest tempo in the league.

Personally I think the high tempo thing in the premier league is a myth.

World Cup's bore me to death

• Like 1

I like Sanchez, but he only seems to work in a three man midfield and I don't think that works anymore.

He always seems to be either an utter rock in midfield, or genuinely off pace and pretty rubbish, never something between.

I would rather we play a midfield of Vertout, Gil and Gana and bring him if we need to see out the game, something we just don't ever do.

I think he has had a good start to the season, but:

1. He isn't a box to box midfielder

2. He can't play in a midfield two

Play him as a defensive midfielder if we're using that role.

He needs a defined role. With Colombia it's just sit infront of the defence, man mark anyone who's playing number 10 for opposition and give the more to the more technical players.

With us it's yes defend and win the ball but try to create stuff aswell and he's not great at that hence the suicidal balls he does on occasions.

I completely agree him in just a two dosen't work but put him in a 3 man base as the DM and he's not that bad, I've seen a lot worse playing for us in midfield in recent years.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought Carlos played really well tonight, he put himself about and broke up play a fair few times. If the new manager can get it into his head that once he has won the ball he needs to pass it  to a player no further than 10 yards away wearing the same coloured shirt as him, then he could become very important over the next few months.

such a frustrating player, breaks up play well, good aggression and one of the few players outside the CBs with a bit of physical presence. But then once he wins it he gives it straight back with an awful pass

• Like 1

Â