Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

He had a much bigger role and he delivered. From what I saw he was effectively given the Westwood role. Defensive but with the responsibility to be more expansive with his passing. He added a bit of dynamism to that too when he was afforded the space in from of him to run in to. Add in the obvious defensive work he always gives you and we had a two in one player at the weekend. Great stuff from him.

From his and Veretout's performances it seems to me that one of Garde's instructions to his midfielders appears to be to make it as short a field in front of them as they can. Presumably the thinking being that the odds of something happening increase the more players you have in less space.

He absolutely should be DM in this team, he does it no problem for his country and I know the prem is different but he's had some good performances in that role for us and against some good teams aswell, Man. United last xmas, Spurs away, yesterday. When you look at it he probably should've started the cup final although I'm not saying we would've got a 0-0 as a result. Unlike Westwood he actually tracks midfield runners.

A few of us have wanted to see the Sanchez-Gana-Veretout axis for a while now. A DM, a high energy box to box player in Gana and hopefully as he gets more games a goal threat and assist maker in Veretout, give that to January and see how it pans out.

It's maybe tempting to when we play some of the weaker teams in the bottom half to take out one of those and put Gil in there but I'm never convinced by us just playing two in the middle, so many managers have tried it and we never look convincing whoever the personnel is. Plus those games against bottom half teams will be massive so we need to keep a solid base, it was good yesterday.

• Like 2

Probably his best game for us. Didn't try anything too stupid which was key and looks like he's been given a defined role, which is vitally important if he's going to have an impact.

Not as good as Sunderland at home last season but not a million miles away. 

True, wasn't his passing stats crazy at 98% in that game. Still yesterday's opposition was miles better than anything Sunderland put out so I praise players more when they do well against world class opposition. 

• Like 1

Probably his best game for us. Didn't try anything too stupid which was key and looks like he's been given a defined role, which is vitally important if he's going to have an impact.

Not as good as Sunderland at home last season but not a million miles away. 

True, wasn't his passing stats crazy at 98% in that game. Still yesterday's opposition was miles better than anything Sunderland put out so I praise players more when they do well against world class opposition. 

That's a fair comment. That's Messi, Neymar and Toure he's had in his pocket now. No matter what we think of him, he can be comfortable in the knowledge he's had a decent career.

• Like 1

Great game by Sanchez tonight in Santiago, Chile against the reigning Copa America champion. Sanchez was one of the players singled out by Colombia boss Jose Pekerman for his play and silencing of Vargas, cutting into Sanchez's diagonal runs and stumping Chile playmaker Matias Fernandez. btw 1-1 final, oh, and that Colombia and Sampdoria striker Luis Muriel MOM would look great in a Villa kit. 

I have always liked the player.....players around him need to improve.

He needs to improve as well to be fair.

He looked great in the last game, but his problem has neve rbeen ability, it's been consistency.
If he can add consistency then he'll be great player. But up until now he's been a 9/10 in one game followed by a 3/10 in the next.

I think that's the interesting thing going forward Wainy.  I think all of the players will now be used in a sensible way with clear roles.  It wouldn't surprise me if Sanchez and Westwood in particular (given their similar traits) were sent out onto the pitch and left largely to their own devices to try and find positions where they weren't tripping over each other.  In the one game where Garde has been in charge; even ignoring the huge challenge of playing the league leaders; the one thing that was clear was that everyone knew their role and the role of their team-mates, and consequently everyone played in a way that showed they were confident that they knew what was expected of them.  If that's to continue then one manager has immediately resulted in 11 better players every weekend.

So true, just basic good organisation could have got us many more points this season already. That Sherwood wavy hand gif from the Leicester game for me speaks volumes, I very much doubt we'll see Garde demanding double training sessions for months to get his players fit, he'll use training for more than running I would think ;)

Yeah but it finally looks like Garde is going to use him as he should be used.

I agree, but the implication in TRO's post was that Sanchez has always been good and everyone else needed to improve.
Used correctly or not, he hasn't always been good for us. He's been a one game in 10 player.

But yes, Garde using him correctly should help.

He was left exposed by poor tactics. When you have one DM on the pitch he can't be expected to contain a 3 man midfield running through without any effective support from the other midfielders. I watched many of his games and he blocked, harassed and tackled time after time, lost a couple of tackles, misplaced a pass or two and he was blamed.

Other players never got involved in 50/50 situations, they turned their back, hid behind other players or just stayed away from the battle.  

• Like 1

I think one game in ten is a slight exaggeration but the point is still fair. On his day he is quality but that is irrelevant when it's inconsistent.

played in his proper position where he is not expected to hold  and play the ball as much as before I'm confident that he will start to become far more consistent.

he shouldn't need to run around as much as he was expected to under Sherwood either so hopefully his gas tank holds up for the full 90.

Edited by sexbelowsound

7 hours ago, BOF said:

I think that's the interesting thing going forward Wainy.  I think all of the players will now be used in a sensible way with clear roles.  It wouldn't surprise me if Sanchez and Westwood in particular (given their similar traits) were sent out onto the pitch and left largely to their own devices to try and find positions where they weren't tripping over each other.  In the one game where Garde has been in charge; even ignoring the huge challenge of playing the league leaders; the one thing that was clear was that everyone knew their role and the role of their team-mates, and consequently everyone played in a way that showed they were confident that they knew what was expected of them.  If that's to continue then one manager has immediately resulted in 11 better players every weekend.

It's such a huge part of football having confidence in your teammates, in their abilities but also in knowing where they will be and what they will attempt to do at all times. Even if Sherwood did give players instructions, and I'm not even sure that he did, it seemed pretty clear that they didn't have a clue what the rest of the team were supposed to be doing.

Watching a team like Arsenal, or Ferguson's Utd, at their best you'd see players hit a perfect pass without bothering to look up because they know in that situation exactly where their teammates will be and how to find them. When players get that familiarity with the system it's like choreography. Its the difference between players having to be constantly reactive in a game, like I feel they were under Sherwood, and having an organised plan where being reactive is the last resort.

Edited by a m ole

Â