Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

But this is what he does brilliantly for his national side. He breaks up play and passes it short straight to a playmaker to work it. This or man marks the opposition's best player out of the game. It's just that we haven't played to his strengths because we haven't had a decent manager to do this since he joined us! 

It's an easier job for Columbia, South American football and International football is somewhat pedestrian compared to the blood and thunder of the premier league. He doesn't have the time in this league which is why he is blowing out of his arse after an hour. Couple that with the fact the rest of our team can keep the ball for about as long as a smack head can keep hold of a tenner and you have a recipe for disaster. Sanchez would probably do a very good job at a team that actually has the ball for long periods of time but he doesn't fit Aston Villa for me.

• Like 1

Ginko is right Imo. I'm not a believer that international football is somewhat pedestrian in comparison to the Premier league either. I remember someone posting on here that in international tournaments players on average actually cover more ground per game than in the premier league. It's our tactics that need to change not Sanchez dropping. What I have read about Garde he will hopefully play a style that will be more suitable for him. 

He's a good player. Sadly its only for 45minutes. Granted he has a colossal amount of work to do as a dm in a team that can't keep the ball. But he still seems to have a fitness issue. 

Correct me if im wrong, but: As for the international games covering a longer distance, its the intensity/tempo he covers the ground and not the distance in itself that's the problem. He acummulates to much lactic acid. I have no idea how they do training at the club, but if he's not doing it allready, he needs to hit some 4x4s every week.

If we actually manage to keep the ball more he might be able to do full 90mins without doing extra work.

He's a good player. Sadly its only for 45minutes. Granted he has a colossal amount of work to do as a dm in a team that can't keep the ball. But he still seems to have a fitness issue. 

Correct me if im wrong, but: As for the international games covering a longer distance, its the intensity/tempo he covers the ground and not the distance in itself that's the problem. He acummulates to much lactic acid. I have no idea how they do training at the club, but if he's not doing it allready, he needs to hit some 4x4s every week.

If we actually manage to keep the ball more he might be able to do full 90mins without doing extra work.

If you run or sprint for 90 mins you cover more ground than if you jog for 90 mins. Unless international players have legs that are 3 foot longer than those in the premier league then I think your point is pretty flawed! 

Sanchez is a confident player who will put himself in the firing line and take responsibility on the pitch. Too many timid players (Westwood, Richardson, to a certain extent Bacuna) who take no responsibility and just want to get rid of the ball as soon as they get it. You can physically see their nerves half the time.

It surprises me how little stick Sanchez gets. He is a real liability at times and often just switches off. That he does good stuff is undeniable but others have been hammered for less. I accept what another poster says that it may be our formation/tactics don't suit him, but in the PL you cannot afford to switch off in your own half. 

• Like 1

He's a player that needs an immediate out ball. He won't get that in a 2 man midfield, but then the 2 man midfield is completely outdated tactically anyway.

Apparently Remi's preferred tactic is a 4-1-4-1, either way give Sanchez two players in front of him, who can alternate in collecting the ball from him and he's ready made for what we need more than anything, protection. He's a limited player yes, but his role does exist in the modern game. I would also suggest that it is us that have failed to adapt to the changes in how the game is played, rather than Sanchez failing to adapt to us and the league.

• Like 3

I remember him signing was seen as some sort of real coup. That we were signing a top quality midfield player. He's had moments but far too often he's looked nothing like a premier league player. Be interesting to see how Garde uses him. I hope its never in a midfield 2.

I remember him signing was seen as some sort of real coup. That we were signing a top quality midfield player. He's had moments but far too often he's looked nothing like a premier league player. Be interesting to see how Garde uses him. I hope its never in a midfield 2.

Sanchez would be so good if he could just consistently pass the ball. He turns it over too often for a defensive mid. 

• Like 1

Consistency remains his main issue.

At his best he looks excellent. But too often he doesn't turn up.

When he's bad he's a liability.

Yep, he remains kind of an enigma for me. I always want to see him in the starting lineup, but then half the time I wish he didn't play. He's two players in one, and the bad one is **** awful.

It's a shame because we are asking him to play a role he is not great at. Just play him as the sole CDM in say a 4-1-4-1 and limit his passing. Tell him to play short instead of trying to dribble and play long passes which he can't do. 

• Like 1

If you run or sprint for 90 mins you cover more ground than if you jog for 90 mins. Unless international players have legs that are 3 foot longer than those in the premier league then I think your point is pretty flawed! 

You missed the point entirely. But that might me having problems communicating it in a good way. Naturally a sprint for 90 minutes would cover more ground then a jog. However football is not a flat out run. The players runs in intervals. Different tempo, different distance, different amount of rest in between intervals. It varies from sprints to standing still. 

When you sprint, you use anaerboic muscle tissue. In order to cover the high energy required to sprint, the body produces more lactic acid. If you're unable to process the lactic acid as quickly as its produced you'll experience fatigue. In general the fitter you are, the more lactic acid you will be able to process. This means that you'll be able to work at a higher intensity for longer period of time. Also you will be able to get rid of the lactic acid quicker when you drop down to a slower tempo. So the fitter you are, the higer intensity you will be able to play at over a longer period of time. You will also recouperate quicker, ready to go again for another sprint.

So if I were to do two runs of 3km on two different days with a average fitness level. And i start run A with a sprint I will get high Levels of lactate quite quickly, and soon enough I'll have to walk for a while before I can sprint again. Most likely I will do run B the 3km quicker/cover more distance in the time i used for run A. If i do it at a even tempo that's right below the treshold of lactate levels my body can process, so I dont get stiff muscles/fatigue. However i cant controll the tempo of the fotball match, to match my lactate treshhold.  So in a high intensity match, I will get fatigued faster, which disables me to cover the  same distance over 90 minutes as I would  in a lower intensity match. 

If i were to beat the B method with the A method. I would have to improve my fitness level to the extent that I could do it a sprint flat out or to a level where i could break it up in intervals and still have a higher avg. Speed then when I jog. All in all a longer distance covered over a period of time doesn't give you the whole picture of a players fitness. Especially when you add inn high intensity work. If you are to play at high intensity, you need higher fitness levels, even though you can easily cover 13km over 90 minutes. If you run more in one game then another, it says little about the intensity of it.

Did this make sense? Do you get the point im trying to make? Typed it out on my phone and English is my second language, so it might be a bit messy. 

But this is what he does brilliantly for his national side. He breaks up play and passes it short straight to a playmaker to work it. This or man marks the opposition's best player out of the game. It's just that we haven't played to his strengths because we haven't had a decent manager to do this since he joined us! 

It's an easier job for Columbia, South American football and International football is somewhat pedestrian compared to the blood and thunder of the premier league. He doesn't have the time in this league which is why he is blowing out of his arse after an hour. Couple that with the fact the rest of our team can keep the ball for about as long as a smack head can keep hold of a tenner and you have a recipe for disaster. Sanchez would probably do a very good job at a team that actually has the ball for long periods of time but he doesn't fit Aston Villa for me.

He has, on occasion, kept Messi and Neymar quiet, that is surely a harder job than Dembele even if the PL is played at a higher tempo. On the other hand, maybe he just looks good with better players around him. I don't know what to make of him at this point. 

Biggest difference with Columbia and Villa is that with Columbia he has a ball winner role where as here he seems to be more of a box to box player, secondly when he wins the ball with Columbia players like James run towards him to get the ball of him where as with Villa the players run away from him expecting him to create and make great passes. He has a really simple role with Columbia and is expected to do more than what he is good at here. 

And a player that plays such a physical game as he does will get tired a lot quicker than others, whatever distance he covers, when asked to get higher up the pitch is is just to much for him. I like him and hope Garde starts using him to his strengths. 

• Like 2

Biggest difference with Columbia and Villa is that with Columbia he has a ball winner role where as here he seems to be more of a box to box player, secondly when he wins the ball with Columbia players like James run towards him to get the ball of him where as with Villa the players run away from him expecting him to create and make great passes. He has a really simple role with Columbia and is expected to do more than what he is good at here. 

And a player that plays such a physical game as he does will get tired a lot quicker than others, whatever distance he covers, when asked to get higher up the pitch is is just to much for him. I like him and hope Garde starts using him to his strengths. 

Exactly this and for what it's worth in the in depth tactical analysis I read of Garde this is how he utilised his DM at Lyon. 

Â