Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Was impressed with some of his work last night, broke up the play well although he always seems to fall back into the odd calamity mode dwelling on the ball or making a daft leave to another player.

I don't think he's been used in the right system consistently since he arrived - which unsurprisingly could also be linked to our tactical naivety. If a manager is going to let him go past the halfway line or play a pass more than 5 yards, as opposed to the first demand being placed on him once he's won the ball is to get it to a player who can move it forward, then he's being misused IMO.

The issue with Sanchez for me is his lapses of concentration and just not having the speed of thought when he's pressed, and when he makes those mistakes it always seems to put is in serious dangerous positions. He's a fantastic tackler, a big and strong presence but those heart attack moments leave an already shaky defence often outnumbered. It was also either his concentration or fitness last night that meant he failed to follow Kane into the box for their 3rd after the comedy of marking errors by Clark, Lescott and Richardson. Granted he shouldn't have had to, but that's part of the job of a defensive midfielder.

Edit: having said that I think he deserves a chance in a proper system that will utilise him correctly, but only against certain teams for me.

Edited by a m ole

One of the papers said we need to find two dogs of war and just sit them infront of the back 4 all game. Given the opposition we have coming up that might not be the worst idea.

The best two in the squad at this role is Sanchez and Gana so play them two on Sunday in a 4-2-3-1.

• Like 2

Biggest difference with Columbia and Villa is that with Columbia he has a ball winner role where as here he seems to be more of a box to box player, secondly when he wins the ball with Columbia players like James run towards him to get the ball of him where as with Villa the players run away from him expecting him to create and make great passes. He has a really simple role with Columbia and is expected to do more than what he is good at here. 

And a player that plays such a physical game as he does will get tired a lot quicker than others, whatever distance he covers, when asked to get higher up the pitch is is just to much for him. I like him and hope Garde starts using him to his strengths. 

Exactly this and for what it's worth in the in depth tactical analysis I read of Garde this is how he utilised his DM at Lyon. 

That is  promising  if thats the case. Maybe we'll see more consistent preformances from him from now on. As been mentioned he's great when he's at his best. Sanchez to Gil, Sanchez to Gil. Still think he would benefit from improving his fitness. 

Don't need to repeat what's previously been said about Sanchez - I think everyone is on the same wavelength (which is so surprising for VT!).

The one unmentioned thing that worries me is how weak he is as a "destroyer" type player.  He makes good tackles on occasion, absolutely, and seems fairly decent in the air which is nice.  However, he is often brushed off the ball by someone who doesn't seemingly have the same physique and can be completely wet in challenges which then leaves him out of position and with an opponent straight through on the defence.

He worries me massively.  I'm just not confident that he protects our defence anywhere near sufficiently for a player who most (myself included) would want to see at the bottom of a midfield trio or diamond.  I'm hopeful that he'll come good but I still think he's the weak link in our midfield.  Can't Gueye sit and break up play in a defensive midfielder role?

When Remi balances the team better, you may see a difference in him.

I like DM's so I have always had a soft spot for him, but I do see the errors too.....However sometimes those errors are compounded by poor running off the ball by others, I do think Villa players lack support for each other, period.

I'm always loathe to make too many excuses for players, but I think at times he has too much to do, I think Gana makes a better balanced partner than Westwood.....but hey, we will have to see.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

if Remi uses the 4-1-2-1-2 diamond formation in the middle with Sanchez role just to protect the back 4 with Veretout and Gueye being the runners and Gil as the No10 behind Ayew and another. We will see Sanchez playing better if he's just given that role, win and pass it on, similar to what he does for Colombia, issue here we either play him in a two or he's completely left on his own in there.

• Like 1

First 60 minutes away to Palace he played as the defensive mid behind 2 others, he was excellent. Whenever I have seen him play this position I feel he has been good to varying degrees until the support goes missing and he tries to do too much.

I feel he has been let down by a series if managers. We have been let down I should say, because I feel we've yet to see anywhere near his best on any kind of consistent basis.

• Like 3

He makes these timely little foot-ins constantly, which are more subtle than yer crunching tackles, but it does break up play. Quite a few spuds moves were cut short by this on Monday night. But, then he does have the 'glaring error' in his general play that can really stand out. 

I think Garde will have a long look at him, then use him the right way and everyone will be oohing and aahing at the new Rock.

Or he'll think he's crap and sell him!

Like many of our players he has glaringly obvious faults. What's frustrating is we often set up in a way that exposes them rather than playing to their strengths. Sanchez personifies this to me. This lad can do a job, limited maybe, but his performances for Colombia are evidence of him being effective. It's about time someone sat down with our midfielders and actually told them what that job is exactly then maybe they wouldn't end up looking so lost and isolated when they are in possession. Hopefully that's what Garde's here for.

• Like 2

Like many of our players he has glaringly obvious faults. What's frustrating is we often set up in a way that exposes them rather than playing to their strengths. Sanchez personifies this to me. This lad can do a job, limited maybe, but his performances for Colombia are evidence of him being effective. It's about time someone sat down with our midfielders and actually told them what that job is exactly then maybe they wouldn't end up looking so lost and isolated when they are in possession. Hopefully that's what Garde's here for.

Problem is so many of our players have glaring faults and gaps in their games that we can't simply set the team up to get the best out of any one of them. 

His tackling, tracking back and foot ins are exemplary, but the fact he mis-controls the ball all the time, dwells on the ball too often and runs himself into the ground atoning for his own mistakes (aswell as mistakes of others) means I just don't think he should be starting week in week out.

Maybe under a new manager in a different formation things could be different but I genuinely would rather see a midfield without Sanchez in it, question is do we have better midfielders in our squad? 

We are obsessed with having two holding/defensive midfielders because our defence is so awful. Most teams only need one, and that should be Gana. There is no reason we can't play with Vertout, Gil and Gana in the middle, but to do that we need a defense that works and there is no signs yet that we have anything close to that.

Edited by VillanousOne

His tackling, tracking back and foot ins are exemplary, but the fact he mis-controls the ball all the time, dwells on the ball too often and runs himself into the ground atoning for his own mistakes (aswell as mistakes of others) means I just don't think he should be starting week in week out.

Maybe under a new manager in a different formation things could be different but I genuinely would rather see a midfield without Sanchez in it, question is do we have better midfielders in our squad? 

We are obsessed with having two holding/defensive midfielders because our defence is so awful. Most teams only need one, and that should be Gana. There is no reason we can't play with Vertout, Gil and Gana in the middle, but to do that we need a defense that works and there is no signs yet that we have anything close to that.

i have always had a tendency to believe football is all about TWO's little partnerships all over the park, with one obvious exception of course......it's hard for one player to do a job on their own I.e ball winning or striker.

Sanchez & Gana for me.

the great Liverpool team had Case & Souness growling, I think it's too much for one, but you do expect them to weigh in with a bit of scheming at times.

I still think Barton may have been a good call for us in the summer, despite the baggage.

Edited by TRO

Garde needs to keep it simple for him. Give him the role of sitting in front of the back four, winning the ball and hitting passes to players moving into space for him. Forget these 20 yard passes that drift out of play or get cut off. Forget pushing too far forward and leaving the defence exposed. As others have said, it may be a job for two players but he should always be the least advanced of them.

Â