Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

18 hours ago, ender4 said:

ok, so i watched the first two episodes and gave up because it was pretty rubbish.   Are you saying it gets a lot better and worth persevering with?

I'm not sure, as said earlier, may not be for you. 

I've personally never been a Star Wars fanatic. I've seen some of the films, enjoyed them, without being mind blown.

However, since I've begun The Mandalorian, and discussed Star Wars with geeks, the story really is deep, and profound.

Oh man that was good. Watched the last two eps back to back and I'd been avoiding spoilers like George W Bush avoiding thrown shoes

Penultimate episode was far better than I was expecting. Bill Burr is so much fun and i hope we see him again. 

Then the last episode... man. I know, huge deus ex machina but still. That's a whole lot of fun. Where the series goes next...but I'd like to see Din doing more Mandalore-related things

• Haha 1

It's been a very good watch to be fair. I'm not that much of Star Wars guy beyond episodes IV and V (partly due to childhood nostalgia and partly because there was a lot to like in those films). But really, I'm not much of a fan of its schmaltzy 30s soap opera qualities. I've always been much more a fan of Trek in all its variants.

However, the Mandalorian is clearly a better watch than any JJ Abrams related Trek, including Discovery and Picard. The Mandalorian is a simple story really and that is probably its strength - whereas Disco tries to overcomplicate everything and fit 500 lines of technobabble dialogue into every single second (and I really hate Michael Burnham), the Mandalorian takes its time to tell the story and is much the better for it.

Is it as good as some people are claiming? Well, it's very good, no doubt, but I still get that feeling with Star Wars that just throwing in a bit of nostalgic fan service results in mad overreactions at times! It is definitely the best Star Wars since Rogue One though, and probably I prefer it even to that, but it isn't necessarily better than, say, Firefly or The Expanse.

I did thoroughly enjoy it though, so big congrats to all those involved. Now, please somebody do something similar for Star Trek and sack off Abrams and Kurtzman.

• Like 1

I generally have never been a fan of Star Wars stuff in the slightest. Never really got into the original films when I was a kid and never bothered to watch the prequels. Though, The Mandalorian is a great watch, enjoyed it a lot! Actually now watching the other films but nothing really compares to the Mando from what I've watched so far. 

Mandalorian was epic, the final Episode was cool. 

I understand if you don’t like Star Wars and moreso sci-fi then it won’t be for you. 

but aside from Rogue One it’s the best they’ve produced as a decent package for a long time. 

I've always been a Star Wars fan although admittedly the recent trilogy was a let-down.

The Mandalorian has been really good though and Season 2 is so much stronger than the first.

I'm really hoping Disney give Kenobi the same level of thought, respect and fan-service as they really could improve on The Mandalorian.

Ahsoka too looks good and so too a standalone Book of Boba Fett is intriguing. 

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

10 hours ago, kidlewis said:

Mandalorian was epic, the final Episode was cool. 

I understand if you don’t like Star Wars and moreso sci-fi then it won’t be for you. 

but aside from Rogue One it’s the best they’ve produced as a decent package for a long time. 

Yeah, just to kick off this old argument, Star Wars isn't sci-fi. It's a western/samurai film with spaceships 🙂 And the Mandalorian is quite happy with that and doesn't try to be anything else, which is one of the reasons it works so well.

I must say though... I actually preferred the first season slightly, with its shorter simpler episodes.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've just got a Disney subscription. So in a nutshell, is The Mandalorian worth it? 

Yes.

I don't care about Star Wars. But the Mandolarian is just a good series.

It's pretty much the best reason for a Disney+ sub.

• Thanks 1

Yeah Star Wars isn't sci-fi. It's a Japanese-inspired western in Space. Some of the shot work and scenes are pulled straight from the handbook and are awesome.  

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the other series. They always seem to cast well too, Pedro Pascal's voice is perfect in the role.

On 20/12/2020 at 12:28, sidcow said:

I've just got a Disney subscription. So in a nutshell, is The Mandalorian worth it? 

No

The Mandalorian is worth a watch for sure, if you have kids then I'm sure you'll spend a lot of hours going through the films and if you've never watched the marvel stuff then there's all of that

but if like me you've done star wars and marvel to death and my daughter isn't old enough yet to watch TV then there's not enough content to justify it imo 

I've got another free trial to use next month from game pass, so I'll have done the mandalorian and I'll try and get through the clone wars and rebels but then I'm done, they need to add more of the fox stuff but they're seemingly trying to keep it very family friendly, not sure who owns the rights to all the fox library but it's obviously huge, of all of them ended up on Disney+ then it would be incredible, they've also disappointingly for me done nothing ESPN content wise and the NG stuff I've been spoiled by Attenborough and find it second rate 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2020 at 22:28, sidcow said:

It really is. Watch the first three or four episodes. Once the story in underway, if you're not interested, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'll be surprised.

• Thanks 1

Loved Mando. The only chink in the armor is the MMA actor that plays Cara, Gina Carano. She's just not a good actor at all and it reduced the believability of the episodes she was in. That being said, she's perfect for the fighting scenes. I took a look at some of her MMA bouts and WOW! Brutal. She kicks the opponent's shin and I feel it.

• 3 weeks later...

The opening speculation on how the Luke shot was done seems bang on. I thought the shot didn't quite look right but it's interesting that this is a TV show using a piece of technology that a few years ago didn't even exist.

The show has a track record of using state of the art technology with the Volume - a set that uses huge screens to, in real time, create a computer generated background and environment, rather than use a green screen.

• Like 1

Just finished Mandalorian with my two boys who absolutely loved it, I mean loved it. I have to say I enjoyed it as well.

Neither was the slightest bit interested in Star Wars before but have now watched New Hope and cant wait to watch the next.

• Like 4

Â