Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

She'll be in it somewhere.

I'm really interested to see where these films go and whether or not they take into account the numerous books that take place after the events of Return of the Jedi. For instance, Han and Leia's children play a big part in the books, so I wonder whether references will be made concerning them or if they're just going to completely ignore the years of lore the books have built up.

Yeah great idea for a thread.

The synopsis sounds okay I guess but a "severed hand" and Disney seem to be a strange combination although I know Disney are keen to step away from children's movies.

I just hope these new movies are considerably better than Episodes I, II & III...I guess J.J. Abrams breathed life into the Star Trek franchise and they are now better for it.

I'm honestly not too hopeful but I don't hate the ideas posited in the unconfirmed leak. I've never been much of a JJ Abrams fan though, whether it's Lost or Star Trek, they always seem to try to be complicated plots but never seem to deliver for me. They also always seem to have plot holes aplenty.

It's a risk for anyone getting involved in writing and directing these films, but they do have a slight safety net in that if they're better than episodes I, II and III then it's a win in many people's eyes.

Edited by Ginko

She'll be in it somewhere.

I'm really interested to see where these films go and whether or not they take into account the numerous books that take place after the events of Return of the Jedi. For instance, Han and Leia's children play a big part in the books, so I wonder whether references will be made concerning them or if they're just going to completely ignore the years of lore the books have built up.

They have ditched "the expanded universe" completely. Which is both good and bad. It's bad for continuity for something so vast but it gives the film-makers more room.

The old tales have been re-branded "Star wars Legends" and a new continuity has been established that consists only of the original six films, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and all future material from that point onward. While the Expanded Universe has been declared non-canon as a whole, it will remain a resource for future Star Wars material to reference elements of the EU and bring them into continuity.

Some if and buts regarding the above decision. 5 Consequences Of Ditching The Star Wars Expanded Universe

Last week Lucasfilm and Disney announced a fairly seismic change to the Star Wars Universe.

In short, any book, comic, or videogame set post-Return Of The Jedi would now be released under the ‘Legends’ banner.

Or, as they put it: “In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe.”

Which is obviously pretty massive news. And here’s why.

No Grand Admiral Thrawn in Star Wars Episode VII.

Downside:Thrawn is easily the coolest villain in the Expanded Universe, he’s also the only alien to rise through the ranks of the (extremely alienist) Imperial army – that’s how bad-ass he is.

Hugely popular amongst fans, partly because of his tactical genius, partly because of his progressive attitude to his employees but mainly due to the fact he’s got a blue face.

We want him on the big screen. Now we’ll probably never get that.

Upside: We’re sure JJ and his team are currently crafting a brand-new villain just as iconic as Thrawn.

And there’s no reason their baddie can’t be blue too.

No Mara Jade Skywalker.

Downside: Like Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade is a fan favourite expanded universe character crying out for a part in JJ’s new Star Wars trilogy. An ex-slave turned assassin turned Jedi Master.

Oh, and she’s also Luke’s wife, which means that pretty much as soon as Episode VII was announced fans started speculating who could play her.

Sadly, their dreams of Christina Hendricks playing a Jedi will probably now never happen.

Upside: Mara Jade’s arc is deserving of its own trilogy, with so much backstory to fit in – so maybe it’s best she’s not a supporting character in a series that’s sure to revolve around Luke / Han / Leia.

No Solo / Skywalker kids.

Downside: In the Expanded Universe, Han Solo and Princess Leia are married, as are Luke and Mara Jade.

And they all have kids. But, obviously, all that Jedi-boffing happened post-Return.

Which means if that continuity really has been canned, there’ll be no Jaina, Jacen or Anakin Solo, and certainly no Ben Skywalker.

That shimmering you see in the air right now? That’s a bunch of Jedi kids vanishing, like Marty McFly’s hand in Back To The Future.

Upside: Some audience members might resent having to get to know another Anakin. Especially as the last one was so – sorry Hayden – rubbish.

And obviously, there’s nothing to stop other kids from popping up in JJ’s universe. In fact, we’re pretty sure Daisy Ridley is playing one…

They just might not be called Boba-Vader Hutt Skywalker-Solo.

No Jedi Academy on Yavin 4.

Downside: We really like the fact that Luke Skywalker sets up his own Jedi Academy in the Expanded Universe, inspired by Obi-Wan Kenobi’s final words. It’s actually the only academy to be set up post-Jedi, and is central to loads of key plots.

Upside: We’re fairly sure that Skywalker will still be inspired by Kenobi in JJ’s universe. And we imagine running a Jedi Academy involves loads of admin. Less time on paperwork, more time for adventures!

Chewbacca lives!

Downside: In the Expanded Universe, Chewbacca dies rescuing Han Solo’s son Anakin.

There’s literally no downside to this being written out of continuity.

Upside: WE LOVE YOU CHEWIE. NEVER DIE.  

Seriously? They're ditching the expanded universe entirely? Way to completely alienate a good chunk of your hardcore fanbase there. Not that it'll stop people going to see them I suppose.

Still though, I read some of the books and they were actually really good. I was hoping that Luke might establish a new Jedi Academy like he does early on in the books. I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole is probably my favourite EU book and a good part of that is set at Luke's new school for Jedi.

I suppose they could still do something similar in the new films, and writing films around the EU would be very difficult, but it certainly feels a bit like kicking the fans and all the brilliant authors who wrote these books in the balls to do away with decades of post-Return of the Jedi lore.

There is a strong English presence in one of the upcoming movies, possibly one of the spin offs.  It's being written by Gary Whitta, who told an amazing story about going to Disneyland a couple of years ago and is being directed by Nuneaton's very own Gareth Edwards. 

• Like 2

Â