Grant Holt

samjp26

Jesus Christ what is wrong with you lot? It's a short term back up for broken legged Kozak. You all pissed your pants at the thought of him signing another striker, so he's not done that.

Away with the lot of you nutters.

just want to say thanks for common sense dave
  • Like 1

Saw Nowich last year at old trafford. They lost 4-0

However, that day Norwich had to decent players on their team the others were clearly overmatched.

Holt and Hoolahan were the two players.

I still don't get why Norwich have rejected the two.

( not saying I want them at villa park though)

On the plus side we bring in an experienced player, something we are crying out for but on the downside it worries me when, to quote the Mirror (shame on me), 'He struggled at Wigan'.

I am very relaxed on this as it will be low wages but bags of experience but I would have thought that we have enough in the striker department and need to strengthen elsewhere

I was going to defend Holt's weight actually because he used to just be really strong, but looking at some pictures of him a couple of years back and pictures of him now, he has actually piled on the pounds. That's a big concern.

Whether we think we have enough strikers or not, the fact is we are a striker down compared to when Kozak was fit.  We don't need to be throwing money at that problem so bringing Holt in on a short-term loan makes sense.

For those saying it indicates Lambert's style of play, we've lost a big, tall striker and replaced him with a big, tall striker. Nothing has changed here.

For those saying they're unhappy because he's our first signing - the key is the word first, meaning you believe there will be more to follow. Whilst hardly a marquee signing, I can't believe there would be much outrage if he was unveiled after signing a couple of midfielders.

If this indicates how we're going to play then bringing in an AM next would surely negate that statement, so wouldn't it be best to wait until the end of the window before passing judgement so definitively?

I fail to see the issue here. He's past his prime for sure, but PL has said that Helenius has struggled so far. If anything it would be good to have someone like Holt to show players like Bowery how to score 78 goals in 168 appearances for Norwich, whilst not being blessed with huge footballing talent. How can it hurt?

I would be gobsmacked if bringing Holt in detracts from any other targets that the manager has.

I was going to defend Holt's weight actually because he used to just be really strong, but looking at some pictures of him a couple of years back and pictures of him now, he has actually piled on the pounds. That's a big concern.

I don't know too much about the medicals players have, but would he pass if he was overweight?

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 3

Expecting..........

.steak_1368896c.jpg

Well have......................

menu-welcome-burger.jpg

Without the lettuce.

You make it sound like he'll be our only signing.

IF we signed someone decent - someone destined for the first XI each week, would your post apply.

It is possible to have steak and hamburger in the same window.  

If we don't end up signing anyone of decent quality, I doubt it's because we've taken a loanee from Wigan for a few months.

He is a 6 month LOAN. This tells us he is not part of any long term planning, just a player to turn to if (god forbid) anything happens to the beast.

Anyone saying we have got 5 strikers at the club really needs to watch the game more closely, we only have benteke that leads the line.

What's lambert meant to do, head into the business end of the league only with a misfiring striker backed up with kids?

Can't think of anyone better who would be available on loan.

With any luck he'll hardly be used, but without Kozak, if Benteke gets suspended or has to miss any games then we'd have no-one to lead the line (Helenius is not a main striker, he's a support striker). This loan makes sense, yes he's piled on the pounds and yes it's a little bit desperate, but right now we are desperate. I'd rather Lambert had a player on load that he knew well than spending money on a position we thought we'd already sorted, and signing someone on an unwanted and unnecessary long term deal. 

• Like 1

There is logic there but it is a painful one. This fills me with no glee at all. None I tells ya.

Doesn't look like Helenius is going to get much of a look in after all. I get that he needs to build up his strength to be a target man but I'm struggling to see how he could be so much worse at holding the ball up than Kozak. Granted Kozak looked a decent finisher and had good strikers instinct but he was pretty poor at holding the ball up or winning flick ons.

Looks like he has been eating to many of the pies in Wigan, whilst sitting on his fat arse on the bench doing nothing; btw the pies are **** bum in Wigan.

I don't know what **** bum means, but as somebody who lived in Wigan for many years, the pies were absolutely ace.  Wigan is the pie capital of the world with no equal anywhere.

It's easy to forget that Holt scored 15 goals in Lambert's first PL season with Norwich. He scored 8 times the season after. Holt knows where the goal is, has bags of experience and Lambert will know how to get the best out of him.

It's clearly a loan to provide cover for Benteke. Holt will most likely be warming the bench for most of his loan but in the grand scheme of things, it's a low risk option that provides some experience to the side. Holt has proven himself a capable goalscorer at times.

Am I happy? Not entirely, but this is clearly a short-term deal until Kozak is fit. It makes sense.

Â