Grant Holt

samjp26

It was always a worry of mine with the appointment of Lambert we would get another Norwich, a team full of try hards but ultimately without quality.

We have certainly got that now but signing a Norwich cast off who can't get into a Championship side and is obviously so out of condition that he would look more comfortable in a pub team is a stretch too far for me.

For those people who see nothing wrong with this signing could you see any other Premiership manager signing him, even on loan?

I hope to wake up tomorrow morning and find that this has all just been a very bad dream after watching Mike Bassett England Manager.

Edited by Morpheus

We also have 4 recognized players who have played numerous games as a centre forward in Benteke, Gabby, Weimann and Kozak. Five if you include Helenius. Six if you include Bowery. One of them gets injured and with in two weeks it seems we are bringing in a short term replacement. We also quite often go one up top with players either side playing more as wide midfield players. This brings into the equation both Albrighton and Tonev.

Exactly. The reason for holt is because without benteke we don't have a forward we can hoof it to. Heaven forbid the manager tries to play better football with the players he's already signed.

that's the thing for me, forget his fitness / form / general ability

it pisses me off that we are after another player to hoof it to and rough up defenders

we need someone who can change the style of football we play because its **** awful, grant holt is not that man

We also have 4 recognized players who have played numerous games as a centre forward in Benteke, Gabby, Weimann and Kozak. Five if you include Helenius. Six if you include Bowery. One of them gets injured and with in two weeks it seems we are bringing in a short term replacement. We also quite often go one up top with players either side playing more as wide midfield players. This brings into the equation both Albrighton and Tonev.

Exactly. The reason for holt is because without benteke we don't have a forward we can hoof it to. Heaven forbid the manager tries to play better football with the players he's already signed.

it pisses me off that we are after another player to hoof it to and rough up defenders

we need someone who can change the style of football we play because its **** awful, grant holt is not that man

I don't think he's intended to be either.

It was always a worry of mine with the appointment of Lambert we would get another Norwich, a team full of try hards but ultimately without quality.

We have certainly got that now but signing a Norwich cast off who can't get into a Championship side and is obviously so out of condition that he would look more comfortable in a pub team is a stretch too far for me.

For those people who see nothing wrong with this signing could you see any other Premiership manager signing him, even on loan?

I hope to wake up tomorrow morning and find that this has all just been a very bad dream after watching Bassett.

I don't think it's 'not seeing anything wrong' Morph, more that I can't see what all the moaning is about. No yet anyway. Considering we don't know how much he'll actually play and whether he'll be our only signing of the window. I think once those criteria are met, then the signing can be more accurately judged because right now none of us really know what the plan is.

That is my only viewpoint on the matter.

He scored 25 goals for Norwich in the PL and they didn't just play hoof ball. He clearly had the footballing ability to play in the PL then. Whether he does now is another question entirely.

First Jordan Bowery now this, you are somehow trying to defend PL's possible signing of Grant Holt on loan, **** hell.

I don't think he's intended to be either.

which in my mind means Lambert is ok with the way we play

which unfortunately means its time for him to go

He scored 25 goals for Norwich in the PL and they didn't just play hoof ball. He clearly had the footballing ability to play in the PL then. Whether he does now is another question entirely.

First Jordan Bowery now this, you are somehow trying to defend PL's possible signing of Grant Holt on loan, **** hell.

It's like you don't even read what is being posted.

I hope to wake up tomorrow morning and find that this has all just been a very bad dream after watching Bassett.

I don't think it's 'not seeing anything wrong' Morph, more that I can't see what all the moaning is about. No yet anyway. Considering we don't know how much he'll actually play and whether he'll be our only signing of the window. I think once those criteria are met, then the signing can be more accurately judged because right now none of us really know what the plan is.

I don't think it's hard to see what the plan is. He's replacing kozak which will more than likely make him our first option off the bench or replacement for benteke if injured.

Now given his poor performances in the championship i don't think he's good enough to do either of those roles.

I don't think it's hard to see what the plan is. He's replacing kozak which will more than likely make him our first option off the bench or replacement for benteke if injured.

Now given his poor performances in the championship i don't think he's good enough to do either of those roles.

That or Bowery eh? I know who I'd rather have coming on against tired defences.

I don't think it really matters if he's cover for Kozak or not. It says a lot about the current state of this great football club that this is the caliber of player we are signing.

We signed Harewood on a permanent basis.

Habib Beye.

Gabor Kiraly and Didier Agathe.

Robert Pires.

This is nothing new.

And none of them signings came close to being as bad as Holt.

Agathe was a short term loan

This is your argument. Really?

I have my concerns and I'm certainly not defending the signing. But, people seem to be getting upset and angry over things that haven't happened yet.

If he plays every game.

If he is our only signing.

Then yes, get upset. I will be fuming also. But right now, the main arguments against revolve around things that haven't happened and anybody trying to apply a bit of logic to the situation is being grouped into some ridiculous clan.

If you're attempting to wind me up its worked, because what you have done is deleted almost ALL of what I wrote to pick out half a sentence about one player. And then claim it's my sole argument for why Holt is a bad signing.

Agathe signed at a time we had a lot of great, young midfielders in the team and were quite clearly heading in the right direction. I doubt in this window we'll sign holt, a young promising winger and swap a cack forward for one that has proven himself in several leagues in Europe. Which is what happened arojnd the time of Agathe signing

For someone not defending the signing you've done an awful lot of defending the signing.

• Like 1

I actually find it hilarious that there are a group of people on here who actually really beleive they know

better than the Manager about who else he might be signing (the 'not a priority' people);

better than our fitness staff (he is fat etc etc - (in fact some of the most needlessly insulting comments about a prospective Villa player I have ever heard);

and they know how unimportant and embarrassing it is that PL thinks Holts maturity may matter - despite PL having actually worked with the player and, unlesss I am mistaken, none of the derisory bunch having done so.

And they all know we 'have enough strikers'.

They really think they really do 'know' so much about football that they appear to 'know' our Manager is an idiot.

Yet those self same people appear to be totally unaware how silly they sound.

No, Holt is not a top draw player. Yes, it does - or might - give an indication as to where we are with wages etc.

But he may well be able to play a worthwhile role - perhaps the Manager isn't an idiot ?

I see your point but if the links to Hoolahan, Naughton and now Holt are all true (i.e. all ex-players of his) then it suggests the manager is running out of ideas and is starting to panic.

Edited by Sunny*Nunny

By your statement it strongly suggests you're trying to defend the possible signing, '25 goals for Norwich' and 'they didn't play hoof ball' etc. Just another decision that warrants PL's sacking, adding to the lacklustre performance yesterday evening. 

I actually find it hilarious that there are a group of people on here who actually really beleive they knowbetter than the Manager about who else he might be signing (the 'not a priority' people);better than our fitness staff (he is fat etc etc - (in fact some of the most needlessly insulting comments about a prospective Villa player I have ever heard);and they know how unimportant and embarrassing it is that PL thinks Holts maturity may matter - despite PL having actually worked with the player and, unlesss I am mistaken, none of the derisory bunch having done so.And they all know we 'have enough strikers'.They really think they really do 'know' so much about football that they appear to 'know' our Manager is an idiot.Yet those self same people appear to be totally unaware how silly they sound.No, Holt is not a top draw player. Yes, it does - or might - give an indication as to where we are with wages etc.But he may well be able to play a worthwhile role - perhaps the Manager isn't an idiot ?

Did you use this type of post when people questioned signing hutton? Or dawkins on loan last year?

By your statement it strongly suggests you're trying to defend the possible signing, '25 goals for Norwich' and 'they didn't play hoof ball' etc. Just another decision that warrants PL's sacking, adding to the lacklustre performance yesterday evening. 

It's like the bolded part of my post isn't even there.

That or Bowery eh? I know who I'd rather have coming on against tired defences.

I'd rather neither. I'd rather a manager who doesn't rely on a physical prescence up front regardless of footballing ability.

• Like 1

Â