Grant Holt

samjp26

At first I reacted like many others on here, though, not as strongly, but then I thought about it and it makes sense. He's not by any means an overwhelming loan, but it's just for 4 months of action to cover for a similar player who's out injured. A short term solution. We didn't need to bring in a long term solution so we took an experienced player on loan. What's the big deal? He's also a player that Lambert knows well and knows what to expect to get from him. Someone who can make an immediate impact. To be thrown in at the deep end if needed in the next game. I think that if we'd had him yesterday and be thrown in in the last 10 minutes when we were pushing on and throwing the ball in the box there's every chance he'd score a header.

Then I saw the pictures and thought that we probably have to wait a few weeks.

Still, not by any mean overwhelmed and overly happy, but neither am I the least worried either. It'll cost us peanuts in wages, that he's probably already ate, and I'm quite sure that it'll affect other potential signings. It's not a certainty that others will come, but it won't be because of us not trying or because of Grant Holt. Of that I'm very sure.

• Like 3

Thou shalt not halt holt's pole vault into the holte!

Whenever I saw him play for Norwich especially under Lambert he looked really decent, held the ball up really well for people like Hoolahan and Pilkington to run onto. A lot of the long balls were floated onto his chest rather than hit aimlessly. We'll just have to wait and see how he gets on.

By 'proper man' maybe Lambert just means someone who'll get the rest of the guys out their shells a bit, who knows.

I think until someone decides to buy from Randy we'll just have to get used to these kind of signings.

At first I reacted like many others on here, though, not as strongly, but then I thought about it and it makes sense. He's not by any means an overwhelming loan, but it's just for 4 months of action to cover for a similar player who's out injured. A short term solution. We didn't need to bring in a long term solution so we took an experienced player on loan. What's the big deal? He's also a player that Lambert knows well and knows what to expect to get from him. Someone who can make an immediate impact. To be thrown in at the deep end if needed in the next game. I think that if we'd had him yesterday and be thrown in in the last 10 minutes when we were pushing on and throwing the ball in the box there's every chance he'd score a header.

Then I saw the pictures and thought that we probably have to wait a few weeks.

Still, not by any mean overwhelmed and overly happy, but neither am I the least worried either. It'll cost us peanuts in wages, that he's probably already ate, and I'm quite sure that it'll affect other potential signings. It's not a certainty that others will come, but it won't be because of us not trying or because of Grant Holt. Of that I'm very sure.

This is where I am too.

Awful signing in isolation without any circumstances but makes sense to an extent right now.

This was a potential signing 2.5 yrs ago. I was happy to see him come then but on reflection glad he didnt.

Holt was a bone of contention even then, he wouldn't have been an amazing signing then either. Now considering Lambert has been here for the same length of time you'd think we'd have moved on from signing someone who has actually declined from an average player to one that struggles in the Championship.

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/6629-speculation-ended-grant-holt-re-signs-norwich/

Holt is on the downward spiral! He should be taking it easy in the Conference or League 2 at the most!

Lambert has lost the plot completely! This is the worst signing I have ever seen at the Villa!

Pires

Hutton

Heskey

Harewood

Agathe

were all more underwhelming

• Like 2

Anyone saying this is the worst signing they've seen at Villa needs to look back at our recent history. It's an uninspiring signing and certainly won't go down as a great one but it's just a loan, as opposed to plenty of other deals where we signed uninspiring players for big wages and put them on long contracts.

• Like 2

I had hoped that awakening this morning the proposed signing of Holt was really just a bad dream but seemingly not.

Now having time to think about it I can see why Lambert has gone for this. He obviously knows the player and Lambert does not want to be without a target man. Wages also would not be an issue and it is after all only a loan to cover Benteke after Kozak's dreadful injury.

However has Lambert scouted Holt recently? I haven't seen Holt playing recently but by all accounts he has been a shadow of the player Lambert once managed and more importantly according to recent photos Holt would have the fitness level of someone who is running down his career.

Taking all of that into consideration what if Benteke's injury flared up again or he got a new injury. We would have an unfit, over the hill Championship player to replace him and to score enough goals to keep us up if we become embroiled in another relegation battle and surely Lambert must have considered how long it's going to take Holt to become fit enough again to play in the Premiership. Holt needs a crash diet of major proportions!

Surely to goodness Lambert with his European scouting network could have brought in a more able replacement on loan without resorting to this if he felt we needed another target man?

As it is this looks like a done deal so I don't think there will be too many Villa fans mentioning this signing with any great gusto to their mates. Indeed those mates may very well be having a quiet snigger at our expense and have we not been embarrassed enough already over the last three seasons without now suffering more.

Anyone saying this is the worst signing they've seen at Villa needs to look back at our recent history. It's an uninspiring signing and certainly won't go down as a great one but it's just a loan, as opposed to plenty of other deals where we signed uninspiring players for big wages and put them on long contracts.

Habib Beye

Kinsella

Ireland

The loan signing of a player from Spurs (jenas) and who got injured and we still paid his wages

Given on a huge deal for his age

These are some of the recent ones

Then we have Mike Pejic,  Ivo Stas,  Staunton Mk2,  John Fashanau  etc etc

Worst case scenario is that Lambert is losing the dressingroom and is trying to strenghten his position by bringing in players who will have his back with Holt and Hoolahan.

Now i don't think this is the case or at least i really hope it's not the case, but it's not impossible.

Losing the dressing room? Did you see the difference his team talk made in the second half against Arsenal? Couldn't disagree more with that notion.

Someone should let him know he could give a team talk before kick off too. 

Habib Beye

Kinsella

Ireland

The loan signing of a player from Spurs (jenas) and who got injured and we still paid his wages

Given on a huge deal for his age

These are some of the recent ones

Then we have Mike Pejic,  Ivo Stas,  Staunton Mk2,  John Fashanau  etc etc

Not fair on Ivo Stas. He got injured. That'd be the same as signing Jores Okore was a shit signing.

And imagine the uproar on here if he was added to the long list of Lambert's duds!

Just not needed

Also the argument of lets wait to see who we sign doesn't stack up. If we sign no one else, its still a poor signing and if we sign Kiyotake and Defour as well, its still a poor signing.

Yep same as me. We could sign 3 world class players this window and I would praise Lerner and Lambert for it but it would still mean whenever Holt was on the pitch we have someone not good enough playing for us.

At first I reacted like many others on here, though, not as strongly, but then I thought about it and it makes sense. He's not by any means an overwhelming loan, but it's just for 4 months of action to cover for a similar player who's out injured. A short term solution. 

Fair enough, that's the most logical conclusion, but using the same logic, do you believe we'll get a cover for Okore finally? 

Look,  Kozak and Benteke are different types of striker with different styles.

Kozak was bought as a different type someone to vary our style and be a long term striker for us with this season not playing much and so adapting to the league and being a long term asset.  he got injured and is now out for the season.  But what is the point of buying a long term replacement for that?  He is the long term solution,  just getting another now is ridiculous. However,  we still would like to have that option to vary the attack at times

Holt and Kozak are similar and so he will give us that option.  However,  it is short term and so enables Kozak to be the long term again from next season,  and who knows what will happen to Benteke in the summer.

What Holt also gives is that he comes not needing to adapt,  he wont play all the time and so can get fitter,  he gives us a different option and he brings what many fans have been crying out for for ages EXPERIENCE.  In addition he will be a voice in the dressing room,  knows all about Paul Lambert (lambet knows him too) and he can help those around him.

Not a long term,  not playing regularly and by no mean the only signing we will make.

Not an issue

Â