What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

16 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

A lad I knew topped himself yesterday. There’s been a few suicides in the town in the last month or so . All males, too. 

Just talk to someone for crying out loud 

that's awful. I totally agree that talking to people about how you feel is something we should not hide away from because it really helps. hope you're ok since you said you knew the fella.

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

that's awful. I totally agree that talking to people about how you feel is something we should not hide away from because it really helps. hope you're ok since you said you knew the fella.

Terrible statistics for male suicide. I only knew him in passing and many years ago he was going out with my best mates sister so we all ended up on holiday in Spain. Nice bloke , shame. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eidolon said:

Had my annual Xmas bulemia relapse tonight even though I barely ate by what would be any normal non-anorexic person’s standard. This time of year is a dang nightmare 😢

I used to date a girl who had Bulemia. I knew nothing about it previous and didn't really notice until about 3 months into the relationship. We used to go out to restaurants and she used to immediately go to the toilet after eating. She told me straight up like it wasn't a problem, as her mom lived her life with Bulemia, an said it's just like a strict diet.😳

Obviously I guess it can effect you mentally too, long story short, the relationship didn't last too long, lovely girl though, I remember being pretty upset about that one, although we just couldn't make it work.

I'm sad to read about your struggle with bulimia, Eidolon, but glad that you're on the way to recovery and I hope you get to the end of your way to go soon. And glad to hear that your neice has got through it, mjmooney, 

I'd like to wish you all on Villa Talk a happy new year and to thank you for being a nice bunch of people.

There are a few ex-girlfriends in my past but not in recent years and although these days I quite like being single quite a lot of the time, it can, not surprisingly, also be lonely and difficult some other times... and in the last ten years I've only occasionally seen my hometown old friends as they have young children and serious careers, and have dispersed to various counties and I've now ended up dispersing to a far away county! Social media has come under fire with regard to mental health in the last few years and I don’t really know if a football fans forum such as Villa Talk is categorised as one (a social media) but for me I really think it's been helpful to find lots of camaraderie/companionship and genuine good will on here, especially during some low times. I joined in 2015 and posting on here and reading replies, and sharing some laughs, has overall been positive, thank you ! 

(Lots of Villa defeats has been a bit less helpful but the wins here and there have been welcome boosts for morale !)

Edited by robby b
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, robby b said:

There are a few ex-girlfriends in my past but not in recent years and although these days I like being single quite a lot of the time, it can, not surprisingly, also be hard some other times...

kenneth-williams-625568.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going for another scan next week, I have vision issues now and random headaches, I've come to terms with it now atleast, but I'm going to do my best to not let this brain tumour end my life. Goodnight Villatalk, ill hopefully see you all soon 

4 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

I'm going for another scan next week, I have vision issues now and random headaches, I've come to terms with it now atleast, but I'm going to do my best to not let this brain tumour end my life. Goodnight Villatalk, ill hopefully see you all soon 

I don't know you well Jim, but know that you've got someone over in the west of the US rooting for you. Keep us updated pal.

8 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

All fingers and toes crossed for the best possible outcome. ❤️

9 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

fingers crossed the news is as good as possible.

We're all rooting for you

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, choffer said:

And if you suspect you’re in a controlling/coercive/abusive relationship - get out. I know the media always tells us it’s women who end up in such a position but it’s not. There’s no shame in being victim to a manipulative person but there is an imperative to remove yourself from the situation. I just wish I’d seen it for what it was much sooner. 

In my previous job, I dealt with more than the occasional male victim of DV....one in particular, where a 19 stone, 6'4" builder was being physically and mentally abused by his 8st, 5'3" girlfriend. She totally f*cked with his mind and gaslighted the hell out of him.

Hard to believe but as choffer implies, the media narrative is often wrong. There is no shame or stigma attached to this, nor should there be.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There's a lot of data that links a host of mental health problems in young people, particularly girls, to social media, specifically Instagram. The stuff is poison and a minefield for parents.

• Like 1

I wouldn't knock microdosing just yet. If it can clear the thick fog of depression for people, even for a few weeks, it can only be a good thing. People need relief. 

Â