What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

4 hours ago, dubbs said:

I'm posting this on here because nobody here knows me personally.  I feel like I need to talk to someone about depression and work have access to third party help but I'm almost too worried/ scared to talk. Anyone else ever felt like that?

I forgot to say in my previous reply. Post again if it helps. Send a Private message if it helps.  

4 hours ago, dubbs said:

I'm posting this on here because nobody here knows me personally.  I feel like I need to talk to someone about depression and work have access to third party help but I'm almost too worried/ scared to talk. Anyone else ever felt like that?

I understand where you're coming from. Getting help was the best thing I ever did for myself. The feelings I get when I'm depressed don't go away, but I'm much more able to deal with them now. I now have coping mechanisms in place to help such as mindfulness and self kindness. The second one is really hard to do for a lot of people. We treat ourselves so much worse than we would treat others.

But in terms of feeling scared about opening up, you're definitely not on your own. I think a lot of men go through this. I've been to support groups in a room full of men who are being treated for depression and they still didn't want to open up, even though that's what we were all there for. In my opinion, there's still a social stigma in how we may be perceived for needing mental and emotional support when there absolutely shouldn't be. There's also a work issue, in that for so long mental health at work was never a concern for employers. Finally, the people you'll speak to you for support won't judge you regarding why you need the support or for how you feel, the majority of people I spoke to were nothing but compassionate.

Edited by Jonesy7211
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dubbs said:

Yes. It’s normal to feel this way but as many of said on here it’s the best thing you can do. The services provided by workplaces are a good start.  Also you can talk to many people on here. Anybody that has suffered depression knows how horrible it is and will always be willing to help anybody they can. So reach out my friend.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

After reading your comments I say down and had a chat with someone last night.  It wasn't a professional but it actually felt good to start talking about how I'm feeling, especially knowing it's not unusual to feel that way.  I'm still going to make an appointment with the people through work, but it definitely feels like a start.

Good! 

I’ve never suffered from depression, but when my marriage fell apart I found being as open about my emotional state as possible, and a few sessions with a professional, very very helpful. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, calcifer said:

Been on Anti depressants for a while now. Had them doubled earlier this year. Lost my dad in Jan to Cancer, then me and the wife split up in June. Head was battered. I start seeing a therapist in a couple of weeks. Tried to carry on, keep busy etc. It just makes it worse. 

Depression is hard, sometime you think there is only one way out, it's like been in quicksand, you think sometimes it is for the best and just sink!

So yeah, Depression is something to take seriously. There is a way out with help 🙂

I will try and keep you amused by trolling the Gresford thread ;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I will try and keep you amused by trolling the Gresford thread ;)

Don't, you'll make him feel worse :D 

• Haha 1

Sat here wide awake crying my eyes out despite being up since 4 o clock yesterday morning and driving back from Cornwall this evening. Some of you may have read my posts in the addiction thread recently and some of the destruction it has caused me over the last month or so. 

In a few hours time our dog is being rehomed due to me and my partner splitting due to me and my problems. She is going back to her dad's and I'm having to move out of the place we rent due to not being able to afford it on my own. I have had no involvement with the rehoming situation over past few weeks as I love my dog so much that apart from my kids is the only thing I have left. 

I have argued so much with the ex about stopping her from doing this but it's just carried on and on. I got a message the first night I was away from her saying the charity who was helping her re-home the dog had found a home for her. Again I tried and tried to stop her from doing it, but just ended up in row after row to the point I was arguing and in tears on the phone whilst having dinner in a restaurant the other night.. embarrassing isn't even the word...It has truly wrecked my only time off from work this year, the only time I've had to get away and try and get my head together after the destruction I have caused (I'm under no illusion ultimately this is all down to me and my addiction btw). The dog has really helped me get through this at times when craving or down, I've been able to play with her or take her for a walk etc, which has really helped me out. Even before the problems came to a head I loved every minute of being with her, I'm a massive dog lover.

I have tried to avoid thinking about it by reading and posting on the Villa side of the board but I have literally just crumbled over the last hour..I am truly heartbroken, I'm sat here balling my eyes out at what's going to happen in the next few hours. The dog is nestled next to me wondering what's going on... Honestly I have hit rock bottom... I can't do this.. I can't see her go it will literally kill a big part of me and I'm worried what it might do to me in terms of my recovery from drugs and alcohol. I'm trying to stay strong, I'm trying to be positive, im trying not too to be "so pathetic" over a dog as she keeps telling me... 

My life is wrecked as far as I'm concerned and just don't know how much more fight I have in me anymore to deal with any of this. I again contemplated what things would be like for those around me if I just ended it all... I just don't enjoy life anymore, even before this the drugs were just propping me up and making me feel like things weren't as bad as they are.

Im sorry it's me again posting another long post on VillaTalk pouring out my pathetic life to you good people, I really am..

• Sad 3

I’m very sorry to hear that @leighavfc. I’m not sure I can offer much in terms of advice, but a few months ago, I was also in a place where it felt like my entire life was in ruins. It will get better. Hang in there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

I’m very sorry to hear that @leighavfc. I’m not sure I can offer much in terms of advice, but a few months ago, I was also in a place where it felt like my entire life was in ruins. It will get better. Hang in there. 

Thanks, I'm trying too as best I can. I had started to settle a little before the past week, but all this is just the last kick in the b******s and has brought all the anger, tears and helplessness back. I Can't see the light at the end currently.

Haven't slept a wink and got to go through quite possibly one of the worst things I have ever done in the next few hours.. I'm going to be a mess I know it.. I am now...

49 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

@leighavfc

I get it.  i understand.  Sorry I can't offer a solution. 

But what help are you getting?  Are you trying to sort this out alone?  

I'm not getting no hope really tbh, been trying to get through it on my own.. the only place I speak out is on here. I really struggle to speak to people I know, I do tell my best mate bits but not the full story. I've just never been one of them to share personal stuff regardless of what it is really.. I know I should buy I just don't have it in me to do so, the thought alone makes me shudder. Even so he ain't around that often either due to work etc and living 20 mile away. I know it's not right of course bottling it up 

1 hour ago, leighavfc said:

I'm not getting no hope really tbh, been trying to get through it on my own.. the only place I speak out is on here. I really struggle to speak to people I know, I do tell my best mate bits but not the full story. I've just never been one of them to share personal stuff regardless of what it is really.. I know I should buy I just don't have it in me to do so, the thought alone makes me shudder. Even so he ain't around that often either due to work etc and living 20 mile away. I know it's not right of course bottling it up 

The GP’s are an absolute shit show at the moment but I really think you should hassle them and make them give you some help. 

Asking for help is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about and it would be the start of your journey to a healthier state of mind. 

Alternatively give MIND a contact. 

Edited by Genie
link added
  • Like 3

Â